Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Elk Area 7 -- Difficult access? Confused...

bts09

All,

I've got a cow tag for Wyoming Area 7. I just realized on the Wyoming hunt map that it's listed as "difficult public access," and that's confusing to me because I'm looking at the map and it's got a lot of walk ins and a huge chunk of forest service land through the middle of the unit that is well covered by a few county roads that are legal to drive. So my question is, is this just listed as difficult public access because the "total" amount of public land in the unit is small in comparison to the size of the unit? Or is there something about that forest service land that I'm missing, as in, is it inaccessible?

Thanks all.

There are plenty of places to hunt, but those elk have really changed up when, where and how they react to pressure in that unit. Also, the elk are highly nomadic...here today, gone tomorrow.

When you choose to hunt, is going to determine the "where" as much or more than the weather, access, etc.

Also, weather can really put a hurting on access, in particular wind and snow.

There is private that's engrossed by the forest, a lot of which blocks road access.
This is where I’m getting confused, I guess. If it’s marked as a county road, i thought it was legal to use that road, even over private. At least, where I’ve hunted antelope in Wyoming before, i verified that was the case (and in fact, the road I used was county for a while, then stopped being county and you couldn’t use it any further even though it continued because it continued as a non-county road). What am I missing? Sorry for being so dense here.

Early in the season elk in #7 are spread out to areas that include public land, but either weather or pressure will change that quickly. Later in the season I think most of the elk in #7 will be spending their time on the private land.

There is private that's engrossed by the forest, a lot of which blocks road access.
I think I see what you’re saying, Bob. When you look at the default map on the Wyoming site, it just shows all the forest service land as one big chunk. But when you do an “imagery” map it shows all the private land holes throughout the forest service land—Does that sound right? If that’s the case, yeah, still some access, but not as much and lots of hiking.

Worth remembering that a lot of the NF is pretty darn rugged. Just because the road touches a corner of the public doesn’t mean you’re realistically packing an elk out very far without stock. I’ve mostly hunted it late when the elk are lower, but then you’re rolling the dice on snow/drift/access unless you have a tracked atv.

I think I see what you’re saying, Bob. When you look at the default map on the Wyoming site, it just shows all the forest service land as one big chunk. But when you do an “imagery” map it shows all the private land holes throughout the forest service land—Does that sound right? If that’s the case, yeah, still some access, but not as much and lots of hiking.

I've only done cursory research but yes.

Last edited:
The big groups of cows do move around in area 7 for sure, and depending on dates, be looking at the HMAs you an apply for when they open up. And keep in mind that some of the HMAs are limited so do some research. Biologists there are definitely willing to help with cow harvest and will give you good pertinent info.

Thanks, wytex, incredibly helpful info as always from you! And it's a good point on the cows and the help of the local biologists. I'm going mid-September archery (and then probably returning for rifle when I strike out in archery), so hopefully in mid-September, which should be in the rut, the cows will not have all moved down to the private sections. I have never minded hiking a bunch and plan to do so this trip as well.

This is where I’m getting confused, I guess. If it’s marked as a county road, i thought it was legal to use that road, even over private. At least, where I’ve hunted antelope in Wyoming before, i verified that was the case (and in fact, the road I used was county for a while, then stopped being county and you couldn’t use it any further even though it continued because it continued as a non-county road). What am I missing? Sorry for being so dense here.

There's no issues with driving over the county roads through the private lands in the national forest. You just can't get off the road to hunt in those private parcels. For example, Palmer Canyon Road (721) goes through several miles of the national forest in the southeast corner, but there's no access to public lands as it is surrounded by private all the way through. There's a lot of that in Area 7.

Thanks, wytex, incredibly helpful info as always from you! And it's a good point on the cows and the help of the local biologists. I'm going mid-September archery (and then probably returning for rifle when I strike out in archery), so hopefully in mid-September, which should be in the rut, the cows will not have all moved down to the private sections. I have never minded hiking a bunch and plan to do so this trip as well.

NR and hunted it in 2010, having never been in the unit before. I found huntable elk on public in September in Unit 7, though they were spread out. A good amount of hiking was involved, but isnt it always? Some parking areas were a bit crowded by other hunters so just try to avoid that, although I still saw elk, but only right at dark and it wasnt as much fun as having an area more to myself. I ended up arrowing a cow at a much more remote spot on the last day of my hunt. There is plenty of room to roam when snow is not an issue, so if I were you I would maximize your Sept hunt opportunities.

Do tell. Any places in particular? Would love to get some fishing in (maybe mid day while I’m trying not to bump the elk).
In my (limited) experience, just find a smallish stream and you'll find a lot of smallish trout. I'm a sucker for a small stream, room to roam and my 2 weight fly rod in hand...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back