MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming BLM Hunting

In most instances the road is where it can be because of terrain .
Don't make a new road. You'll find more often than not it's not as easy as just going around the private corner.
Game retrieval is allowed off road, 100 yds without damage to resources.

Get out of your truck. Put all of your hunting gear on your body and in your hands. Then, alternate putting your full body weight on each foot after placing it in front of the other foot. 🙂

AROUND the private land I assume.

In most instances the road is where it can be because of terrain .
Don't make a new road. You'll find more often than not it's not as easy as just going around the private corner.
Game retrieval is allowed off road, 100 yds without damage to resources.

If possible the BLM should have made the road AROUND the private land in the first place since they knew or should have known that it would be used by others than the rancher or BLM folks. But like most things Guvmint stupid is as stupid does. Luckily I don't have to deal with such issues.

If possible the BLM should have made the road AROUND the private land in the first place since they knew or should have known that it would be used by others than the rancher or BLM folks. But like most things Guvmint stupid is as stupid does. Luckily I don't have to deal with such issues.
The BLM doesn't care much about hunter access. They are mostly catering to the ranchers/lease holders/outfitters.

Too bad you aren't more involved. You often appear to be quite an expert.

You may not have to deal with such issues, but sure doesn't keep you from whimpering about them.

The last thing you'd ever want to do is to get involved and help address these issues...

Recognize that if the road starts on BLM and end on BLM, but crosses even a small corner of private, you can't cross the private without permission (in most cases). This really hung me up a few times last year.

You say in most cases. So what are the exceptions where you don't need to get the required permission?

There are exceptions where the BLM actually has a public easement, or so I was told by the BLM Buffalo field office. However, I've never found a way to identify those. Last year I chose to treat them all as barriers and chose to walk around.

There are exceptions where the BLM actually has a public easement, or so I was told by the BLM Buffalo field office. However, I've never found a way to identify those. Last year I chose to treat them all as barriers and chose to walk around.

With the increased interest/pressure for hunting on public/BLM land they should make issuance of a grazing permit contingent upon allowing public ROW access to BLM land that is impeded by private land as long as they stay on the road and don't tear it up.

With the increased interest/pressure for hunting on public/BLM land they should make issuance of a grazing permit contingent upon allowing public ROW access to BLM land that is impeded by private land as long as they stay on the road and don't tear it up.

You are not familiar with western land politics are you Dundee?

ClearCreek

You may view it as stupid is as stupid does. However, not everyone is blessed with your level of omniscience. I highly doubt county roads were planned many years ago with BLM access in mind. Some routes were presumed to have easements, and didn't. Some easements were likely never recorded correctly. And, in a lot of instances I'm sure easements were never even a thought. I'd wager if you were to jump back in time 40-50 years ago, and started talking about easements on access roads, people would have looked at you like you were crazy. They weren't necessary, and I really doubt many folks thought we would find ourselves in the access conundrum we currently face.

The last time I needed blm easement info I sent their gis guy a google earth overlay of all the roads then kept his reply email on my phone in case I needed it.

You may view it as stupid is as stupid does. However, not everyone is blessed with your level of omniscience. I highly doubt county roads were planned many years ago with BLM access in mind. Some routes were presumed to have easements, and didn't. Some easements were likely never recorded correctly. And, in a lot of instances I'm sure easements were never even a thought. I'd wager if you were to jump back in time 40-50 years ago, and started talking about easements on access roads, people would have looked at you like you were crazy. They weren't necessary, and I really doubt many folks thought we would find ourselves in the access conundrum we currently face.

So what is the BLM doing to sort out the access conundrum esp. about making it more hunter friendly? Is it even fixable [on a case by case basis] without pissing off one side or the other?

So what is the BLM doing to sort out the access conundrum esp. about making it more hunter friendly? Is it even fixable [on a case by case basis] without pissing off one side or the other?

@mtmiller would have a better idea as a whole, but I have seen them reroute access roads. Remember, easements are a willing party deal, and many folks aren’t willing because of the value of hunting.

In some cases it’s fixable, in others it’s not.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back