Wyoming bison hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Drive from Bozeman to Jackson this morning in hopes of filling this cow bison tag. Last week was a bust. Super cold, all bison still in GTNP.

Get my film permit from Refuge HQ and head out. Glass some dark dots far away. Drive around to other trailhead and climb the ridge. A herd of bison in the distance. Watch a guy shoot one. Go over to congratulate him. He's depressed. Like me, he has a cow tag. Bull on the deck. Ooops.

I scour them for an hour. No cows in this herd. Race further up the drainage and get to where the tail end of another herd is hustling through. One cow for sure at 195 yards. Too many obscuring her for a comfortable shot while they file past. They trot off and I mark the location for morning.

Looks like I've got about four mile hike before daylight, if (big if ) then have not made it back to GTNP by morning.

Camera guys were booked, so I'm the hunter, camera, and audio. My normal pack is enough. Two video camera added to that sucks. Not looking forward to handling a bison by myself, but don't have many options.

Will give an update tomorrow night.

Good luck Randy. Do you get another chance if it doesn't happen this go round? I'm pretty flexible and know how to run a camera.:)

Didn't someone give you a pristine Sharps replica, Randy? I thought I remember a post a while back about it. A thank-you gift from a client or something. That rifle was begging to shoot a buffalo. Are you using it by chance?

If I would have known a day or two earlier I could have marked one for you! At least for the first trip there anyway. Nice place to be, let alone hunt.

Good Luck! The game warden up there, Kyle Lash, is a great guy and has been known to drag animals out with his horse!

Five hours of hiking, only to them all on the wrong side of the boundary. Ever get the feeling some things are just not supposed to happen?

Back