Wyoming Area 7

DeerNeyes

Good morning, first time poster here, drew a buck tag for area 7 this year. Pretty stoked to get back out antelope hunting. Have been hunting deer and antelope "out west" in WY and SD for 23 years and have missed very few years. Haven's been to WY for antleast 8 and my son and dad (Doe Tag only) will be coming along this trip, not looking for any directions or hunting tips, just curious if anyone has any input on the numbers in the area this year.

Thanks.

Have a cousin that lives in upton,they had a die off but still are plenty of lopes according to him,my wife has a antelope tag also

Never could figure out why a place called pizza barn had such good steak. Tag numbers are still on the upswing after big die-off in 2010-11, plenty of antelope. Go walking on the walk-in areas and you'll have better luck and less company. Italian place downtown was good if it's still there.

Good morning, just checking if you care to share any of your results and input from your trip.

Thanks.

Read through this thread, I wrote about what happened there.

I live in Newcastle and do a bit with the local biologist as a volunteer.

Numbers are defiantly down quite a bit. We had a late winter last year that killed them off. Fawn counts are down over 1/3.

Early spring you could go around the grasslands and find piles of lopes dead.

Area 7.....get ready for all the road hunters..

The farther west you go the better chance you will have.

Sorry for it to be all negative but that’s a zone I won’t put in for.

Sorry for it to be all negative but that’s a zone I won’t put in for.

Whew, I am glad I did not have that information before I headed out in archery season! I got to head out with the glass half full and super positive thoughts in my mind! I did learn about the die off from a guy at the hardware store after I got there but not having another baseline to judge my first antelope hunting experience from I was pleased with what I found. I will say that my experience in that unit would have probably been very different sharing the place with 700 other rifle hunters.

Whew, I am glad I did not have that information before I headed out in archery season! I got to head out with the glass half full and super positive thoughts in my mind! I did learn about the die off from a guy at the hardware store after I got there but not having another baseline to judge my first antelope hunting experience from I was pleased with what I found. I will say that my experience in that unit would have probably been very different sharing the place with 700 other rifle hunters.
Yup.....the trucks and atv will be flying October 1

B13D48B8-0CBA-4F4D-B9E6-01AAAB1279F4.jpeg

My wife’s area 7 goat from last year.

Here is quickly how this played out. Spotted a heard of goats with 2 bucks. One good one and this guy. We were putting on our stalk. We were within 500 yards. Then from the road, hwy 450 a out of state plated truck opened up from over 1200 yards. Some how he hit this little buck in the front knee and his leg was just spinning around. I stood up wearing an orange vest and hat and they speed off.

My wife and I then closed the distance on the goats to 300 yards. She elected to take the wounded one with the 6creed xp100.

Area 7 is gridded with roads. I don’t think there is a way to get away from the road hunters in this unit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back