Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Antelope with 11 preference points.

Contrary to above, I'm gonna go the selfish route, but hear me out.

Spend those 11 points in a great unit, apply solo. Bring your kid along for glassing / packing. That's a great retirement gift and the way creep is going,
you might never get a crack at a blue chip again. Those points took 11 years to build and $400 - $500. You both don't have to have tags to have
a great time and hunt together.

There are still a couple units where you both can get doe tags together and buck units with 10-20% odds in the random. Chances are decent that
you can both draw buck tags at some point over the next 5 years without points.

And if you do decide to use them on yourself (I'm with twsnow18, I think you should), maybe buy your son a preference point this year. You can still guarantee a tag with one preference point. So he could still draw a unit next year (it won't be your unit) and have a shot at a buck--that's not going to be much different than you two hunting the same unit, most likely. And depending on which unit you pick, he's still got a decent chance of drawing a doe tag in the same unit.

For the Frequent and varied Wyoming antelope hunters here, would you say that GoHunt's "Trophy Potential" ratings of units are accurate?

For the Frequent and varied Wyoming antelope hunters here, would you say that GoHunt's "Trophy Potential" ratings of units are accurate?

I've been curious how they decide that. I think almost any unit in Wyoming has the "potential" to grow a trophy antelope. You're just far more or far less likely to see or access one in some units. It would be better if they had access to some sort of check station data and reported an average size harvested in the unit. Without data, it seems like a kinda-maybe-educated guess.

I've been curious how they decide that. I think almost any unit in Wyoming has the "potential" to grow a trophy antelope. You're just far more or far less likely to see or access one in some units. It would be better if they had access to some sort of check station data and reported an average size harvested in the unit. Without data, it seems like a kinda-maybe-educated guess.
The reason I ask is that this Question is EXACTLY what I imagine a GoHunt membership would answer. a What-If scenario of splitting points versus using them all... filtered by trophy potential.

The reason I ask is that this Question is EXACTLY what I imagine a GoHunt membership would answer. a What-If scenario of splitting points versus using them all... filtered by trophy potential.

True, but i do think a 2-5 point hunt is likely to be very different from an 11 point hunt (diy public land). One will probably include choosing between multiple accessible 75-80”+ animals or while the other is hunting in a unit that has a couple big bucks somewhere that are rarely on public.

If it were me, there are likely not many times I’d get to hunt a unit worth 11 points. I’d rather have the one 11 pt tag and start building from zero to hunt a lower tier unit with my buddy or son in a couple years

Not sure, but they are somewhat accurate for the ID deer & elk units I'm familiar with. It's just not possible to nail
every single units potential, but they do a pretty good job I feel.

Been there did that this year.

OP, Welcome to Hunt Talk. You have the pick of the litter with that many points. I'm going to offer an ALTERNATE APPROACH... find a 4-5 point unit and go with someone you really enjoy hunting with no points and let your points carry the average. Your children, or grand kids, or a hunting buddy from home. Believe me you will remember that EXPERIENCE more than the inches of score. Most folks outside of antelope country don't know an 80 inch goat from a 72 incher..
Most people that LIVE in antelope country can't tell an 80" goat from a 72" goat.

Most people that LIVE in antelope country can't tell an 80" goat from a 72" goat.
My 13 year old daughter got to see her first antelope herd last weekend. It was fun to hear her and what she noticed about the different bucks. She could tell which buck was taller and which was heavier. Now granted she has helped me score deer so she knows the talk...

I am going with the 11 point tag. I have waited a long time and will make the most if it. It should be fun matter the outcome.

Good! But seriously, DO NOT shoot anything on the first day when you end up going. Look at as many antelopes as you can and as your hunt progresses mark the big bucks on your GPS and make a move when you're confident you will shoot a big one. Its your tag, but it's VERY easy to misjudge an antelope.

I second SaskHunter. Do NOT shoot one on the first day. Me and a buddy went on our first Wyoming antelope hunt in 2018. We had 7 days to hunt. We showed up in our unit Day 1 at 2:00pm. By 6:00pm we were skinning antelope number 1. Day 2 by 3:00pm we were skinning antelope 2. We were both happy with our bucks, but it would have been nice to stretch out the hunting a few more days.

If your in a unit that takes 9-10 points to draw, you are likely going to see a lot of big antelope. Take your time and pick your favorite buck.

Enjoy your Hunt. You've got a lot of research ahead of you and a lot of choices. Hard to go wrong in Wyoming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back