Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyo Wildlife Task Force and the new outfitter/landowner draw proposal

Good discussion. As an Alaskan resident I see this being similar to the guide concession areas. The guide industry keeps lobbiests in our state capital. There stated goals are to protect the rights of nonresident hunters. And the money that they have to spend only on them. And charge an extra 250 bucks for every client to pay for the lobbiests.
The current proposal which has been defeated by our state courts twice already. Just slightly different words, same meaning. All game belongs to everyone equally. If the current proposal happens, only guides belonging to the guide association would be able to guide hunters. And the association would have a say in the limited amount of guides that would work in an area. A preference. Instead of having a free market like most every other business and having to compete for the customers. And guaranteed increases in costs. Hunting should not be restricted to only folks who have a lot of money.
I believe that non residents should be able to hunt bears goats n sheep without a guide. The government doesn't need to babysit anyone. Including hunters and guides. Lot of folks would love to go on a bear hunt but will never be able to afford it. Have to hire a guide for 25 grand first. This should be the hunters choice not a government mandate.
I guess I see a lot of similarities between our states
I'm not saying guides are not good folks. The industry they are forced to work under is the issue. And guide lobbiests will continue to tell legislators that they have all the solutions to wildlife management. And will continue to fight for more control.
Hey it should be as simple as the government staying out of private business and treating all folks equally. More government isn't the answer. And allowing a preference regarding our wildlife has been found unconstitutional twice already. I'm glad to see folks standing together on this issue

This is so silly. This does nothing but take money away from "normal" Wyoming businesses and sends it the outfitters way.

They can argue all they want that outfitter money goes back into the economy but does it really as much as the DIY'ers? Most hunt packages include lodging and food. So most of the money goes to the outfitter themselves. On the other hand, the average NR goes out and rents hotels (because you know damn well the average guy isn't sleeping in a tent), eats out and spends their money on a variety of smaller businesses throughout the state, not just those affiliated with outfitters.

The way I see it, this is just another opportunity for the outfitters/landowners to make more money and get much better odds for their repeat rich clients. This affect DIY'ers AND regular businesses.

^^^ You honestly think they read them?

My comments are borderline barbaric to these fools. So, I hope they do read mine. lol

At the end of the day, they are going to draft up whatever nonsense proposal they want anyhow.

This is so silly. This does nothing but take money away from "normal" Wyoming businesses and sends it the outfitters way.

They can argue all they want that outfitter money goes back into the economy but does it really as much as the DIY'ers? Most hunt packages include lodging and food. So most of the money goes to the outfitter themselves. On the other hand, the average NR goes out and rents hotels (because you know damn well the average guy isn't sleeping in a tent), eats out and spends their money on a variety of smaller businesses throughout the state, not just those affiliated with outfitters.

The way I see it, this is just another opportunity for the outfitters/landowners to make more money and get much better odds for their repeat rich clients. This affect DIY'ers AND regular businesses.
This was part of my comments submitted. No way outfitted hunters contribute as much as DIY hunters.

i think they read enough of them to know where the teeter totter is teeter totting.

and some of them actually get read from what people have posted on HT before, especially when they don't start with "hey a**hats"

tho, that's really, really how i want to start mine.

I received another email from SNS Outfitters today:

ACTION ALERT: EMAIL THE TASK FORCE TODAY!

SAVE YOUR HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES IN WYOMING

As you may be aware, in 2006, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department instituted a preference point system for elk, deer, and antelope. Due to the ever-increasing demand of the non-resident hunters wanting to hunt in Wyoming, we are now experiencing an imperfect system that is putting your hunting opportunity at a disadvantage. This is making it harder for you to draw the license you are wanting. But there is a solution.

The Wyoming Wildlife Task Force, appointed by the Governor to address licensing issues in the state of Wyoming has an outfitter-sponsored licensed draw proposal in front of them. If you book with a licensed outfitter, your outfitter will enter you into a specific drawing utilized by outfitted clients only. This application will substantially reduce the number of applicants you are competing with. This will greatly increase your opportunity to draw the license you seek, allowing you to hunt in Wyoming on a more frequent and predictable basis.

Below are some talking points for you to use when emailing the task force members:

• I want to book with my outfitter to hunt more often in Wyoming, rather than waiting for many years to draw a license.
  • I would choose to hunt Wyoming before any other state if licenses were more available to the outfitted client.
  • I want to support Wyoming’s economy by hunting with my professional outfitter.
  • I prefer to book with my outfitter to ensure my safety and a high-quality hunting experience.
  • I want the opportunity to come back with the professional outfitter that I have established a relationship with.
The Wyoming Wildlife Task Force will be meeting on August 8-9 in Casper. It is imperative that you reach out now!The comment period is open for you to submit your comments on an outfitter draw. It’s expected at the August meetings, that a final vote will be held concerning the fate of an outfitted client license draw.

Members and Emails of the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force. Please individually email each task force member rather than send one mass email. Please keep your comments personal and brief.

Rusty Bell: [email protected]
Brian Nesvik: [email protected]
Duaine Hagen: [email protected]
Elissa Ruckle: [email protected]
Joshua W.D. Coursey: [email protected]
Lee Livingston: [email protected]
Liisa Anselmi Dalton: [email protected]
Pat Crank: [email protected]
Peter Dube: [email protected]
Representative, Albert Sommers: [email protected]
Representative, Jamie Flitner: [email protected]
Joe Shaffer: [email protected]
Senator, Ogden Driskill: [email protected]
Senator, Larry Hicks: [email protected]
Sy Gilliland: [email protected]
Tony Lehner: [email protected]
Adam Tetan: [email protected]
Tod Larson: [email protected]

If you can take the time to participate via Zoom in August, I would greatly appreciate your support for this important matter. The zoom link will be available on the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force website at https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce

If you have any questions, please contact by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Sy Gilliland
Outfitter

Is there a way to watch the meeting today online? I'm not finding a link for today's meeting.
The TF does not meet again until August. Today there is a G&F Commission meeting. The only two things the Commission voted on today was to limit hunters to one Type 1 antelope license per year and to remove the 7250 cap on NR elk licenses. Both passed.

For me it's "when will this nonsense come to an end?" Public comment has opened up for the next version of the outfitter/landowner drawing on NR licenses. Comments will be taken until Aug 5th. The new rate is now 50% of NR tags and outfitters are soliciting their clients to send in positive comments to combat the negative comments on this subject last month.

i'm trying to keep up and clear up how it's gone in my head before i submit comments.

what was the going rate the last time they got blistered with comments? i though it was also 50%?

The TF does not meet again until August. Today there is a G&F Commission meeting. The only two things the Commission voted on today was to limit hunters to one Type 1 antelope license per year and to remove the 7250 cap on NR elk licenses. Both passed.
So they will now issue less than 7250 NR elk licenses per year?

QQ

So they will now issue less than 7250 NR elk licenses per year?

QQ
That answer remains to be seen. The details have not been worked out but NO they will not issue less full priced NR elk tags any time soon. Little if any doubt in my mind that when the final proposal is made it will come with a net increase in NR full priced tags. Most likely regions that are dominated by public land, non-wilderness will see lower tag numbers while areas dominated by wilderness and private land will see an increase in tags. This is what outfitters have wanted all along and what the TF and Commission are more than happy to give them.

Back