Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyo Elk Management "Decade of the elk"

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

Some good info on how and why Wyoming G&F manages its elk herds. In my opinion Wyo is better at elk management than any other State. Apologies if this has already been posted.

How is being 35% above objective good management? Yes it’s good for hunting but not meeting objectives isn’t good management

Its not G&F fault they cant get enough people to kill cows in the state. That's up to us as hunters. Lord know they provide ample opportunity for both res and NR to blaze away at cows. At last count I think I could take 5 elk if I wanted to.

With a boy just getting started big game hunting this fall it’s so different than when/where I got into hunting. I truly feel I have a better chance of getting him opportunities on a raggy bull or certainly a cow than a decent buck (that’s not to say the deer hunting is “bad”). And I don’t even like elk hunting that much or consider myself particularly good at it.

Its not G&F fault they cant get enough people to kill cows in the state. That's up to us as hunters. Lord know they provide ample opportunity for both res and NR to blaze away at cows. At last count I think I could take 5 elk if I wanted to.
5 elk in one season? How so? In the regs it says no one shall apply for and receive more than 3 elk licenses in one year. One bull and 2 cow licenses. Am I reading the regs wrong or missing something?

5 elk in one season? How so? In the regs it says no one shall apply for and receive more than 3 elk licenses in one year. One bull and 2 cow licenses. Am I reading the regs wrong or missing something?
I think you are correct with 3 elk licenses. I was being flippant when I said 5. The point is still that same in that Wyo provides a ton of opportunity to kill a bunch of cows. The overarching problem with being over objective isn't a lack of cow tags, its a lack of people being able to fill those tags.

How does Wyoming set its management goals though as I’m Not familiar with Wyoming, I know randy explained in Montana the objectives are skewed towards more opportunity and more tags being sold. So depending how Wyoming is set that could be skewed but once again idk.

I would love to go to WY and harvest a cow.

But WY GFD is wasteful with my dollars. They allow the CC company (bank) to harvest 3% when I loan WY $10K annually for all species apps. And then don't refund that 3% when I fail to draw. So, I retired from applying in WY when they started this.

If they don't understand the unnecessary waste in that transaction, how can WY GFD be trusted with any resource?

But WY GFD is wasteful with my dollars. They allow the CC company (bank) to harvest 3% when I loan WY $10K annually for all species apps. And then don't refund that 3% when I fail to draw. So, I retired from applying in WY when they started this.

If they don't understand the unnecessary waste in that transaction, how can WY GFD be trusted with any resource?
I only wish more people would follow your lead....

I am hoping to take two cows out this year and if I can't find a good 6x6 then I will use my OTC general (any elk) on a cow too. Hoping I find that granddaddy I saw walking the county road while I was fishing.

Last edited:
There is another side to this story that I posted. Elk hunters are expected to have higher than usual success, especially those hunting cows. But this is at expense of mule deer since apparently they are competing for habitat somewhat.

If that’s the horror that keeps you from doing what you love, I don’t recommend looking down the rabbit hole of where your tax dollars go...

True that.

I still apply for all species in every other western state. I only started boycotting Montana when they raised NR prices a few years back and now, recently retired Wyoming.

Wyoming is the only western state that cuts in credit card companies to the tune of $300 (for my $10K application bill).

How can every other state have this figured out and the Cowboys F it up?

True that.

I still apply for all species in every other western state. I only started boycotting Montana when they raised NR prices a few years back and now, recently retired Wyoming.

Wyoming is the only western state that cuts in credit card companies to the tune of $300 (for my $10K application bill).

How can every other state have this figured out and the Cowboys F it up?
You’re paying for it in every state. It’s just not itemized. Credit card companies charge 3% for the transaction. WY just chooses to show you that whereas other states bury it in the overall cost and non-refundable fees.

WY can just about name their price currently with NR licenses. The demand far exceeds supply. It has the best general tag elk hunt in the west When considering opportunity vs quality. The next best state for antelope isn’t even close. It holds its own for deer and probably only second to Colorado for opportunity vs quality. That could change in the next few years considering Colorado’s new season structure and how WY proceeds with its CWD plan. I’m not meaning to take the thread sideways, but seriously WY could probably charge the special fee for all their licenses plus the 3% and still sell every available NR license. I’d hate to see it happen because I know some people couldn’t pay it, especially for multiple species across the board.

They're just saying that to make me feel extra bad with two unpunched tags at the end of the season.

Nope - WY is different than the other states. They itemize out the 3% CC fee.... and make it non refundable if you don't draw. WY then issues my $9500 in refunds via check rather than refunding back to the credit card. Thereby allowing the bank to keep the 3%.

Colorado stopped up front charging of all tag costs, but even when they did - the bank didn't get to keep the 3%.

NM charges me about $7,000 up front for all species and refunds each when I fail to draw. The bank does not make 3% off the silly game where the state keeps my money for a couple months.

WY chooses to let the banks skim this process and this makes me question their judgment as to all decisions.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back