Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY Pronghorn 2021

huntin' lunatic

Well, going be walking away from my job on June 30th, 2021. I turn 65 in August. I had hoped to stay till 66 but, after 32 years of cranking wrenches, I'm done. Had some health issues this year so didn't plan on venturing out. I will be sandhill crane hunting and hunting whitetails in Mason Texas. I had been talking to a couple of guides about booking a hunt for next year. Decided on one and as i was fixing to send the non refundable deposit. I thought back to all the stories of first time guys doin it on their own and being successful. And at about a third the price. I tore up the check and decided that a diy hunt in WY would be my 65th birthday adventure. Trying to get my son to join me but he got married last year, just bought a house and his job keeps him busy. "Cat's In The Cradle".
So the research has started already. I have bought a preference point this year. I don't want a trophy, just want to be able to draw a tag and shoot a pronghorn. I'm a a meat hunter and want some of that delicious meat. I'll be driving up from Texas and i will be able to stop and smell the roses. A guy with alot of sense once said, "Hunt all you can, you will run out of health before you run out of money".

Good choice, it should be a great time. Make sure to buy a point so drawing will be a little easier. Either way, congrats on retiring and enjoy the hunt!

Next year's point game will be very interesting. A lot of points were burnt this year, which skewed things for sure. If it were me, I would still plan on putting into the special draw, and paying the extra $300. I still think a quality hunt at 1 point is very doable and you may even want to think of picking up the doe tags for $50 each as well. If you have a unit that you really want to get into, you could start now trying to get on lists for next year.

Since yer not looking for a trophy, I'd be willing to get you to where you will see antelope. I have tagged out myself every year since 2006 except the three years I had shoulder surgery and kidney surgery. I hunt on base or on HMAs and private depending on what I put in. This year I am hunting on one Type 1 any antelope and two type 6 doe/fawn tags. PM me if you decide you might be interested. What you said in yer last line which is exactly why I am retiring in 10 days and hunting myself as much as I can while my health permits me to do so.

Since yer not looking for a trophy, I'd be willing to get you to where you will see antelope. I have tagged out myself every year since 2006 except the three years I had shoulder surgery and kidney surgery. I hunt on base or on HMAs and private depending on what I put in. This year I am hunting on one Type 1 any antelope and two type 6 doe/fawn tags. PM me if you decide you might be interested. What you said in yer last line which is exactly why I am retiring in 10 days and hunting myself as much as I can while my health permits me to do so.
Congrats on your retirement.

Congrats on the retirement! As others have said, if you’re a meat hunter, don’t overlook the antelope doe tag opportunities. Also don’t get too hung up on the doe tags being in the same unit as your buck tag. Some of the doe tag units are really easy to draw and will give you a better hunt in terms of access than the buck tag you will be able to draw with one preference point. I think of the doe tags in Wyoming as a $50 “call option” for more meat.

Well, going be walking away from my job on June 30th, 2021. I turn 65 in August. I had hoped to stay till 66 but, after 32 years of cranking wrenches, I'm done. Had some health issues this year so didn't plan on venturing out. I will be sandhill crane hunting and hunting whitetails in Mason Texas. I had been talking to a couple of guides about booking a hunt for next year. Decided on one and as i was fixing to send the non refundable deposit. I thought back to all the stories of first time guys doin it on their own and being successful. And at about a third the price. I tore up the check and decided that a diy hunt in WY would be my 65th birthday adventure. Trying to get my son to join me but he got married last year, just bought a house and his job keeps him busy. "Cat's In The Cradle".
So the research has started already. I have bought a preference point this year. I don't want a trophy, just want to be able to draw a tag and shoot a pronghorn. I'm a a meat hunter and want some of that delicious meat. I'll be driving up from Texas and i will be able to stop and smell the roses. A guy with alot of sense once said, "Hunt all you can, you will run out of health before you run out of money".
Congrats on retiring! I would say paying the extra for the special draw can give you more opportunity of drawing a type 1 tag. I believe area 7 (I didn't check draw odds this year) as of last year was a good chance at drawing with no points in the special.

You can get two doe tags for cheap in addition to a buck tag. Fill that freezer as long as you are making the long drive up to WY.

Since you will likely have 1 preference pt, I think your best bet is to look at eastern Wyoming. Out west you typically need lots of pts to draw. The good news is that in Wyoming there is BLM and state lands. However you may wish to consider a trespass fee hunt which is reasonable in Wyoming should range $350 - $500 for a buck and most ranchers don’t charge extra if you have a doe tag to fill. Best of luck!

Do your research and see what you come up with but don't throw away the guides number. This is what you've worked all your life for. If that looks like the best option for a good experience spend the money. Lost years are more important now.

Do your research and see what you come up with but don't throw away the guides number. This is what you've worked all your life for. If that looks like the best option for a good experience spend the money. Lost years are more important now.
Extremely good advice. You never know when that little slip on your icy porch will end your hunting days.

It may take you a few years to draw a tag.

Buck or Doe.
Drew a buck tag, get to scratch off bucket list. They lowered the doe tags so I didn't draw doe tags. Not wanting a trophy, I'm happy with experience, meat and also bringing my fishing pole. Good luck to all.
Retirement plans have been extended a little but not a problem.

As Bob-WY says, type I in most areas is any antelope but a lot are restricted to bucks only. Depends on the population count with the ladies and kiddos. For mine, my tag is any antelope so intent is to try for a nice buck first few days then go for anything of decent size buck or mature doe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back