WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

Not too many races here to vote after the Chinese were massacred and run out of the state.

Rinella speaks at length about the One Shot and his participation in it in this week’s Meateater podcast. For everyone who’s been waiting for him to speak on it, check it out. Pretty different spin on the whole thing than what Buzz and JM77 have shown.
I just finished listening and should first add that Buzz and I spoke to Janis Putelis in April before the One Shot hunt Steve was in. The whole conversation was to let Steve know what he was going to be a part of. For Steve to say he didn't know what he was getting into is a stretch, assuming Janis told him what Buzz and I said and Janis assured us he would.

Rinella also failed to speak of what it was Hickenlooper was criticized for in relation to the hunt. He was criticized for dressing like a Native woman because he was on a losing team. Now Rinella was also on that losing team, but failed to mention that part of the One Shot ceremonies and if he wore the same garb.

The biggest reason the One Shot club is allowing women is they are on the verge of losing those 56 licenses that they can give to their "Fat Cat" donors to keep them coming. The Commission is becoming highly critical, as they well should, of these give away tags when many sportsmen & women can't draw these areas.

Last edited:
Rinella should have simply stated that he got an antelope tag because he was well connected. A tag that 99% of those listening will never have a chance at getting because they are not and left it at that. The rest of what he had to say was either him talking out of ignorance or his ass. Either way he should have stopped sooner.

I just finished listening and should first add that Buzz and I spoke to Janis Putelis in April before the One Shot Steve was in. The whole conversation was to let Steve know what he was going to be a part of. For Steve to say he didn't know what he was getting into is a stretch, assuming Janis told him what Buzz and I said and Janis assured us he would.

Rinella also failed to speak of what it was Hickenlooper was criticized for in relation to the hunt. He was criticized for dressing like a Native woman because he was on a losing team. Now Rinella was also on that losing team, but failed to mention that part of the One Shot ceremonies and if he wore the same garb.

The biggest reason the One Shot club is allowing women is they are on the verge of losing those 56 licenses that they can give to their "Fat Cat" donors to keep them coming. The Commission is becoming highly critical, as they well should, of these give away tags when many sportsmen & women can't draw these areas.
“Well it’s old timey” was a pretty weak excuse.

Well, at least 80 tags didn’t go out this year and hopefully there will be a few more antelope around in that area for next year.

I did some research on these units a few years back and was told by somebody in that office that most of the tags were filled on private. Anybody have any reason to doubt that statement?

My impression is that he has caught just enough heat for it that it finally warranted a response, but the whole thing sort of felt like a Cover Your Ass operation. So much was omitted.
I found it convenient that such an intelligent well spoken person would be lacking in the details and or words to better describe something he participated in.
Very capital hill.

I just finished listening and should first add that Buzz and I spoke to Janis Putelis in April before the One Shot Steve was in. The whole conversation was to let Steve know what he was going to be a part of. For Steve to say he didn't know what he was getting into is a stretch, assuming Janis told him what Buzz and I said and Janis assured us he would.

Well, at least 80 tags didn’t go out this year and hopefully there will be a few more antelope around in that area for next year.

I did some research on these units a few years back and was told by somebody in that office that most of the tags were filled on private. Anybody have any reason to doubt that statement?
Someone likely knows better, but looking at the units Buzz identified in post #10, private land is limited.

For the women’s hunt by Buffalo, this is true.

The Lander hunt occurs in units that are nearly all public land and difficult for common folk to draw tags for.

Maybe they are new age "non-binary" complete with new pronouns? Don't judge them.

I listened to the podcast, not impressed is the nicest thing I can say.

For starters, Rinella says that he didn't know much about the hunt.

What JM77 says is true...in April, right after doing the podcast with Randy where the one shot was discussed, Randy made the suggestion we talk with Janis about the one shot hunt and the potential fall-out that could happen if Rinella accepted the invitation to participate.

I'm not going to call anyone a liar when I don't know what happened, it could be that Janis just forgot to mention our discussion, but I'd find that highly unlikely that Rinella didn't know it was a shit-show for a couple reasons:

1. Rinella mentions on this latest podcast that he knew the hunt was controversial.
2. Janis seemed pretty interested in what we had to say about it.

I also find it odd that someone who fancies themselves a person that will research to write a book couldn't, or wouldn't, take the time to research a hunt that he knew was controversial. Seems even more odd that this latest podcast only amplifies that he STILL doesn't know what he's talking about.

As has already been mentioned, he conveniently left out the "stag" events, like the issuing of the tags, blessing of the bullet, the smoking jackets and cognac, the round dance where the losers dress up as Native American Women, the wives going on a shopping trip and painting pictures. Further he doesn't even know what organization some of the money goes to., Didn't mention anything about the past shooters club that give tags to past participants (56 of them, many have received 5-6, even 10 straight tags) to hunt some of the best units in Wyoming. He also downplayed how hard some of these areas are to draw, they aren't OTC he says, Oh, no shit...you mean like units 106 and 68 that take almost double digit points for NR's to draw? Units where Resident Odds are 15%...yeah people aren't putting in there because its just another pronghorn unit. Don't let Rinella BS you on these, these are not just some OK pronghorn units, they're some of the best in the State.

With all this, plus the fact that the hunt didn't allow women to participate...I guess that just wasn't enough red flags for Rinella to walk away? Or to at least take it seriously on this latest podcast and get the facts right?

Unbelievable to me that someone would participate in something like this when this "hunt" is the anti-thesis to everything Rinella is supposedly about. Inclusion rather than exclusion in hunting, having to draw tags instead of being given special privilege, being mindful of Native American cultures, hunting being about subsistence instead of some goddamn competition between 2 governors and a gold pronghorn trophy to sit in a governors mansion.

All I know is that Wyoming hunters, both R and NR, are about fed up with the Lander one shot hunt...and for a host of good reasons. Time to end it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back