PEAX Equipment

WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

Silly me. This whole time I was ashamed that Wyoming has the oldest invitation only hunt in the country.

To be accurate, in the podcast Steve said he didn't do his research before getting the invitation.

I didn't catch this nuance till the second listen, perhaps he was invited in person by hick and responded yes on the spot not really knowing what he was getting into?

This isn't a defense but a clarification of his statement.
Yes, he may not of known what he was getting into. That is the exact reason Buzz and I spoke with Janis, we were actually hoping Steve would be there, but he wasn't.

Rinella's partcipation in the One Shot can be traced back to a podcast with him, Gov Matt Mead and Rourke Denver(?). Denver tells him (and I'm paraphrasing) how cool it is and the Gov says something like he'll see what he can do to get Rinella in. I have no doubt at the time of his invitation he may not of known all the issues with the One Shot

I'm sure it would have been awkward for Rinella to back out after Buzz and I spoke with Putelis. But it would have been the right thing to do. It's troubling to think Steve had 'quite a good time" considering he most likely participated in the Round Dance, as his team didn't win. Steve carefully avoided any mention of this in the podcast.

The only part of this that bothers me is the set aside licenses. There was a day and a time that you could do this and it largely had no effect on other potential hunters. That time has long since come and gone. I feel the same way about the set aside for the women's only hunt. Bunch of dudes or ladies want to draw tags just like the rest of us and get together for a hunt, more power to 'em. Giving them a special allotment of tags to do so is BS.

The racial or gender issues associated with the one shot have never bothered me. Others strongly disagree and I can understand and appreciate that. But for me its a non-issue and I just cant fake being bothered by it.

Get rid of the set aside, make them go through the draw like everyone else and I have no problem if Govs, Senators, Celebrities, etc. want to get together with their wives and husbands and have a grand old time in Lander.

I personally don't have a huge problem with the tags. They were 2pt units 10 years ago, I'm sure you could hunt them every year when the whole thing was devised.

There are tons of groups and/or beliefs that I don't agree with, it's a free country, I don't believe any state or federal government should participate or endorse any racist or sexist groups or organizations.

Get rid of the set aside tags, they can do it on private land with landowner tags in another unit if they want. Also all governors should be bared from participating. They can as private individuals but not as the governor, no trophy traveling between the mansions.

the one shot is not a great thing, for a lot of reasons

no it shouldn't continue, for a lot of reasons

no, steve shouldn't have gone. hindsight is 20-20 for him and yes he should own up a little more to that and not skirt the facts

but in the big scheme of things i find there is a lot more in life to get worked up about than any of this and especially steve's involvement. without knowing the guy he has always striked me as as someone who will take another's opinion as a biased pile of garbage and instead always has to know and see for himself before deciding what he thinks, maybe that's why he went regardless. he needs to thoroughly own up to the fact that it was a bad idea in hindsight though

but whatever, i'll move on. i'm not gonna cancel culture meateater over this

I personally don't have a huge problem with the tags. They were 2pt units 10 years ago, I'm sure you could hunt them every year when the whole thing was devised.

There are tons of groups and/or beliefs that I don't agree with, it's a free country, I don't believe any state or federal government should participate or endorse any racist or sexist groups or organizations.

Get rid of the set aside tags, they can do it on private land with landowner tags in another unit if they want. Also all governors should be bared from participating. They can as private individuals but not as the governor, no trophy traveling between the mansions.
They were not 100% draw at 2 points a decade ago. It took 3 to guarantee it which is only one point under max at that time. Wyoming doesn’t have transferable landowner tags so that’s not happening either.

They were not 100% draw at 2 points a decade ago. It took 3 to guarantee it which is only one point under max at that time. Wyoming doesn’t have transferable landowner tags so that’s not happening either.
It has private land only tags which can be had as leftovers in many units.

I just listened to the Dec 14 podcast and my impression is that Steve either genuinely doesn't see all the negatives that the One Shot Hunt embodies (ie ignorance) or believes that the negatives are outweighed by the positives (he mentions the high profile hunters give hunting a good image, the "habitat work", and the economic activity for Lander). If it is the former, maybe if enough of us send him an email ([email protected]) and let him know how we view it, he will re-evaluate it. If it's the latter, then I wish he would say that explicitly.

Other than that, I noted that his cop-outs were pathetic. To paraphrase, "Sexist institutions get a pass because my Dad used to belong to some." And, "It's the WY Game Commission that shoulders the burden of deciding if these tags are being fairly allocated - I can't do anything about it."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-215334_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-215334_Chrome.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 21
Yeah the BS is back again. Amazingly there are many hunters here in Lander that have no idea what the hunt is, that the participants get tags from top units with low draw odds and that past shooters get tons of tags every year.

I have spoke with several who really have no idea, all they have been told is about all the “money@ it brings.

they have no idea that over 90% of tags go to Nonresidents, no idea that people like Domcrat Governor of Coporado Hickenlooper has gotten over 6 premium antelope tags in recent years, no idea that it n these areas tag allocations drop for public due to winter kill etc. but the tags for the groups still get handed out!!!

havjng been here I have been attacked for my stance against the hunt. But when I present the North American wildlife model arguments and the simple fact that a democrat politician has had the tags more than a guys entire family have drawn in a decade, people are starting to turn.

Lastly, I finally found a water for wildlife project. It was dry and and falling apart. It was not working at all, worse yet there was an old ranch well less than 1/4 mile away that was running water. It had been there for years! So even the work the money supposedly does sucks!

Didn’t realize that only Democrats got those tags. Or is it that you only get upset about the ones going to Democrats? 🤦‍♂️
Well Governor Hickenlooper in particular is not a friend of WY and not what I would consider a champion of hunting and fishing. In many cases he has worked against the Norrh American Model. Would you really like to discuss how he screwed up Colorados Wildlife
Management and reasons why he should not be reaping the rewards of WY wildlife or are you just being childish?

Nope. Just curious what the political affiliation of tag recipients had to do with this. You seemed to go out of your way to make that point. To me the whole damn thing is just wrong, and political affiliation of tag recipients has nothing to do with it. Unless you want to factor in that Republican administrations in WY keep perpetuating it.

Nope. Just curious what the political affiliation of tag recipients had to do with this. You seemed to go out of your way to make that point. To me the whole damn thing is just wrong, and political affiliation of tag recipients has nothing to do with it. Unless you want to factor in that Republican administrations in WY keep perpetuating it.
Ok we are good then. My gripe about Hickenlooper in particular. As governor he damaged Colorado hunting in some major ways. It is sickening that we would be awarding him with prime hunting licenses. He forced the department of wildlife to merge with the state parks, he changed the wildlife commission make up to include less hunting and landowner presence and increase the power of non consumptive users. It was his work in this area that accelerated the down fall of the CPW system. He is also a pretty out spoken democrat and takes many stances on legislation that does not favor WY ideals. That is why I point him out! I find it particularly appealing that a person who is against much of what WY prides itself on is awarded 6 premium antelope tags...

Ok we are good then. My gripe about Hickenlooper in particular. As governor he damaged Colorado hunting in some major ways. It is sickening that we would be awarding him with prime hunting licenses. He forced the department of wildlife to merge with the state parks, he changed the wildlife commission make up to include less hunting and landowner presence and increase the power of non consumptive users. It was his work in this area that accelerated the down fall of the CPW system. He is also a pretty out spoken democrat and takes many stances on legislation that does not favor WY ideals. That is why I point him out! I find it particularly appealing that a person who is against much of what WY prides itself on is awarded 6 premium antelope tags...

I'm against all these Wyoming tag donations to nonprofits - Commissioner Tags, Governor Tags, Lander One-Shot, etc. I believe all money generated from all license sales should go to the G&F Department general fund.

What's happened in Wyoming is the development of a tag give-away industry where some of these nonprofits actually auction Commissioner tags on eBay, or similar hunting tag auction sites, the nonprofit employees take a significant cut (the $130K + salaries of the Muley Fanatic Foundation Founders is the worse example), and the tracking/accountability of how the money is spent is sloppy, at best (One-shot).

Also - the money that does to wildlife work isn't prioritized by the most pressing needs in the state but rather goes to scattered projects often determined by species, not need. If this money was centralized at the G&F department, the department could prioritize to address most pressing needs.

I'm not against auction/raffle for some tags - but it should be done by the G&F Department - like the Super Tag - where the money is all raised, tracked and spent, in-house.

The statutes somewhat contradict themselves on how money generated from license sales can be spent. I'm researching for possible legal action.

Last edited:
We're against all these Wyoming tag donations to nonprofits - Commissioner Tags, Governor Tags, Lander One-Shot, etc. We believe all money generated from all license sales should go to the G&F Department general fund.

What's happened in Wyoming is the development of a tag give-away industry where some of these nonprofits actually auction Commissioner tags on eBay, or similar hunting tag auction sites, the nonprofit employees take a significant cut (the $130K + salaries of the Muley Fanatic Foundation Founders is the worse example), and the tracking/accountability of how the money is spent is sloppy, at best (One-shot).

Also - the money that does to wildlife work isn't prioritized by the most pressing needs in the state but rather goes to scattered projects often determined by species, not need. If this money was centralized at the G&F department, the department could prioritize to address most pressing needs.

We're not against auction/raffle for some tags - but it should be done by the G&F Department - like the Super Tag - where the money is all raised, tracked and spent, in-house.

The statutes somewhat contradict themselves on how money generated from license sales can be spent. We're researching for possible legal action.
Who is "we"?

My stance is each species with more than 50 tags can have 1 tag auctioned and 1 tag raffled with a cap on raffle tickets per person. That is it, at most 2 tags per species. Provide a longer season and statewide to the winner. Taking tags out of the draw system often leads to graft and hunters where fair chase is in question (remember Spider Bull) and fair play is at times in question when all the bounty guides and buddies put up fake private land signs and block roads and slice tires to intimidate Joe SixPack. The WY One Shot event appears to be sexist, not diverse in the participants race and income level, and has whites dressing up in native American costumes which, let's face it, is no different that whites wearing blackface. Not a good look, WY.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back