MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY Mud Roads

Anybody want to comment on the usefulness of this map. Stay away from the areas in blue after a rain or is it more widespread than what is shown on the map?
View attachment 152485
True stay away from the blue after precipitation and ALL the area in between unless graveled or paved! But the blue is correct I've been in a lot of those places and it is spot on. Have a plan B & plan C & D for rainy, snowy or frost thawing days!

I would recommend chains or a set of those MASKAs would be good to have. If you get a road that has any bentonite in it no set of tires alone will get you through that slime. Most dirt roads are ok when dry, but any rain and they can be very tricky to navigate.

Being also from East TN, I'll reply here after I get back next month. I figured out 4x4 should be able to handle their mud as well as it handled the Mountains and Creek beds

I filled my wheel wells and into brake pad zone after topped a hill at 20 mph an hour before sunset where road was frozen solid except then hit the south-facing down slope that had 3” of slime on top and picked up speed as pumped the brakes on the sleigh ride to the bottom. Was no way to go back up the slope so runned and gunned through the flats for two miles. Got to a paved road, thanked the Lord as saw no one on the flats and no houses, then tossed 200 pounds or so of mud the first three miles of paved. Mud globs were flying up in air, especially as turned the front tires. Shook at 45mph so headed to a car wash that was 15 more miles.

Part of the mud baked as rubbed the rear tire sidewalls and got hot. Spent over an hour using the car wash nozzle to cut out the impacted mud. Still shook at high speed so the next afternoon hit another car wash to get the mud in the break pad zone. Not fun.

Last edited:
Being also from East TN, I'll reply here after I get back next month. I figured out 4x4 should be able to handle their mud as well as it handled the Mountains and Creek beds

Moving from NH, I thought that too! NOPE. This stuff is like driving through oil. There's nothing for the tires to grab. you get an inch of mud/snot on top of hard ground and you just start sliding. It's been DRY here, but all day rain, then last night with 3 inches of snow that will now melt, should be night/day from yesterday morning this afternoon if I can get out after work!

its not called prairie gumbo for nothing. I would get chains, and a winch or come along, just incase vehicle get sideways really quick.

Better pick up items that will work for anchors as well. Posts, chains, anchors and pins. Anything you can get to stay in one spot. Winches are just one end of the system. A bad day is when you are stuck and you have successfully winched everything out of the ground you could attach to in an arc .

Gumbo is memorable for years afterward if not forever.

I keep hearing the roads are awful in WY, are we talking about for F250's with street tires? I have a dedicated hunting truck I'll be taking this year, 4x4 Tacoma with a rear locker, mud tires, and a winch - do I need to be really worried about this? Would a land anchor for the winch be a worth investment?

I keep hearing the roads are awful in WY, are we talking about for F250's with street tires? I have a dedicated hunting truck I'll be taking this year, 4x4 Tacoma with a rear locker, mud tires, and a winch - do I need to be really worried about this? Would a land anchor for the winch be a worth investment?
MOST of the times an F250 with good all season tires will do just fine. Taking mud tires is a good idea and if you have chains I would take them in case of ice and snow. Wyoming roads are not bad when dry. But when wet weather comes, look out.

No. Just be smart about where you go. WY roads aren't worse than other states.

I have spend around 180 days hunting in Wyoming and chained up only twice. It really seemed to me that many areas now have gravel in the roads that didn't 20 years ago. oil and gas ??? I did once break the upper control arm on an f150 30 plus miles from blacktop in the red desert and another time got real stuck in 2009.

2 years ago mud was miserable, got deep ruts saw multiple trucks up to axles. This year other than 1 day, piece of cake.

Depends on the weather

2 years ago mud was miserable, got deep ruts saw multiple trucks up to axles. This year other than 1 day, piece of cake.

Depends on the weather
I have yet to see babies off base but seeing a bunch especially near the area around Gate 2, commissary, parade field and the housing area. Back road coming from the gas station to Old Glory Road which is 15th Calvary Road there is a field on south side of the road. I saw about 5 does with at least one fawn laying on the ground near them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back