Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY Mud Roads

EastTNHunter

I keep reading threads talking about roads in WY antelope country being bad for mud. Is this only is certain units, or should I expect that everywhere? I’ve never been to WY, and plan to take my 4WD 08 Explorer with Michelin LTX M/S tires. Will I be good? Should I get chains? Is this not an issue in certain areas?

Thanks for helping an easterner out

Well, I’m still deciding on the unit, I just didn’t know if this should feed into my choice or not. I’m looking at next year.

My daughter and I will have two points, and I have about 4 different units in mind (I’ll have to pull up my spreadsheet tomorrow to tell you which ones; can’t remember off the top of my head)

May seem like a silly question to some, but TN is a lot different terrain than WY, at least I think that it is since I’ve never been there before :giggle:

Some units have blacktop or gravel that gets into good hunting. Most have dirt also. The dirt might be fine if the weather is dry, but it's nice to have the pavement just in case.

I keep reading threads talking about roads in WY antelope country being bad for mud. Is this only is certain units, or should I expect that everywhere? I’ve never been to WY, and plan to take my 4WD 08 Explorer with Michelin LTX M/S tires. Will I be good? Should I get chains? Is this not an issue in certain areas?

Thanks for helping an easterner out

You’ll be fine. If the weather gets real bad, hunt off of paved or gravel road. There are just times when you can’t access as much country as you’d like.

Chains on tires aren't exactly savers in mud. Their main help is with traction in snow and ice. Yes it does help in mud a bit as in mud your tire threads get caked shut and the chains will give you something for grip but even the chains can build up with mud.

Basically if there is a road covered with snow and ice, chain up and go. If there is a dirt road that is soaking wet, turn around or get the atv/sxs off the trailer and go

Worst case is thawed mud. Slicker than snot and wet and sticky. Last October I saw several out of states try it and loose. Park and walk. Then your biggest issue is boots that weigh 20 pounds. That stuff sticks to everything and dries like concrete

As of now no problem . One side effect of a drought is no mud

If I were hunting in Wyoming, I would invest in a set of all-terrain tires just for off-road use and those should handle muddy roads and ruts fine. Look at tires made for off-road use.

Worst case is thawed mud. Slicker than snot and wet and sticky. Last October I saw several out of states try it and loose. Park and walk. Then your biggest issue is boots that weigh 20 pounds. That stuff sticks to everything and dries like concrete

As of now no problem . One side effect of a drought is no mud
After trudging through the Montana version for 3-4 miles last year, I slipped and fell in it about 100 yards from the truck. Then of course the wind dries it almost instantly. I had to chisel it off my skin and dump about a liter of water over my rifle/scope and wipe down. No fun.

After trudging through the Montana version for 3-4 miles last year, I slipped and fell in it about 100 yards from the truck. Then of course the wind dries it almost instantly. I had to chisel it off my skin and dump about a liter of water over my rifle/scope and wipe down. No fun.
So you don't take to wallowing like the elk do???

I make it around just fine with my stock 2019 tundra and still have the stock tires on it.

I’m out and about on those dirt roads all year.

if I do get stuck in a bog a ratchet strap and a 10” 2x4 attached to the tire work fine.
Can you explain the 10" 2x4 and ratchet strap?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back