WY General Elk - Who's In?

Require PP's to be used for all license Types, all choices and Leftover tags and you effectively cut that 23 yrs in half.

i don't disagree that it would probably help quite a bit and probably not a bad idea and would certainly help some demand curves in certain areas.

but i can't help but think, colorado requires points for any first choice tag A, B, C, male or female, except for OTC and leftover essentially. and our point problems persist.

but maybe, who knows, that's why we have so many pretty decent tags steadily available in the 1-4 points range for both R and NR.

Looking for a friend with benies. Wilderness hunt.
Say, I offer less than the fine if I hunted solo.

That said, as "friends" I'll buy $150 worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

i don't disagree that it would probably help quite a bit and probably not a bad idea and would certainly help some demand curves in certain areas.

but i can't help but think, colorado requires points for any first choice tag A, B, C, male or female, except for OTC and leftover essentially. and our point problems persist.

but maybe, who knows, that's why we have so many pretty decent tags steadily available in the 1-4 points range for both R and NR.
Imagine what it would be like in CO if you had to burn PP's for all tags including OTC and leftover.

I like it, but how do we guarantee outfitters clients every year if we dont have the current crap shoot system in place?;)
Changing stuff doesn’t help outfitters. They think the changes will, but they don’t. Propose an increase in fees and a bunch of that 167k come off the sidelines and try to burn points. I agree we will see that this year.

Imagine what it would be like in CO if you had to burn PP's for all tags including OTC and leftover.
Hard to say, I bet there are a pile of NR who haven a ton of points and haven't set foot in the state in a decade. So probably wouldn't help NR trying to hunt trophy units

There are like 16,000 R and 33,000 NR with 1-3 points. Those folks probably wouldn't know any better and would apply for "low point" units instead of a general tag and point creep would totally explode for a while for any tag other than Gen (OTC) tag.

Colorado is a quota problem, if you don't change the quotas nothing changes it just would make draws real goofy for a while.

You'd still never draw a unit 10 elk tag.

Hard to say, I bet there are a pile of NR who haven a ton of points and haven't set foot in the state in a decade. So probably wouldn't help NR trying to hunt trophy units

There are like 16,000 R and 33,000 NR with 1-3 points. Those folks probably wouldn't know any better and would apply for "low point" units instead of a general tag and point creep would totally explode for a while for any tag other than Gen (OTC) tag.

Colorado is a quota problem, if you don't change the quotas nothing changes it just would make draws real goofy for a while.

but think about how many people would stop buying otc licenses. we probably wouldn't even have to talk about capping them for the sake of the resource.

i do really think there should generally be an adoption of "hunt or get points, not both"

but think about how many people would stop buying otc licenses. we probably wouldn't even have to talk about capping them for the sake of the resource.

i do really think there should generally be an adoption of "hunt or get points, not both"
I agree on your last point... even as I scheme to keep my points and still hunt. Its a weird system that I would like to see fixed but will exploit it while I can

Do you think a resident with 10 points would just stop elk hunting for 15 years until they draw 2/201?

At the end of the day there would be the same number of elk hunters in the field, people would buy the tags.

Do you think a resident with 10 points would just stop elk hunting for 15 years until they draw 2/201?

i dunno, i know some people that are teetering on the edge of quitting elk hunting because their generationally hunted second choice unit is becoming 1st choice only. they have no idea what the hell to do now while they wait for the 20 year + RFW tag that's actually not that great. they've never mule deer hunted because they're just building points for 4th season RFW tags.

i think that's basically a shitload of resident elk hunters in Colorado right there.

Don't disagree with the trophy units. The trophy units in every State are a pipe dream at best, regardless of the system. For me, I have always wanted the units I will most likely hunt the most the best possible experience. One of the reasons I have never been a fan of switching Wyo elk to 90/10. With the 7250 cap in place all this will do is drive more NR's to the Gen units. Bumping my draw odds up a percent on a high end LQ unit still makes it highly unlikely that I will be hunting that unit and far more likely that I would be hunting a Gen tag. Feel 90/10 on elk would most likely make that Gen tag more crowded.
If this happened wouldn't it make the OTC area a more enjoyable hunt?

Good for Wyoming looking out for their residents. Maybe Montana will take note. I’m guessing these changes will have a significant finacial impact for Wyoming. I’d love if Montana would put residents over revenue. And I’m NOT talking about the 3rd cousins come back home to hunt residents…

Good for Wyoming looking out for their residents. Maybe Montana will take note. I’m guessing these changes will have a significant finacial impact for Wyoming. I’d love if Montana would put residents over revenue. And I’m NOT talking about the 3rd cousins come back home to hunt residents…
Not 100% sure I understand what you’re saying. Montana residents enjoy the most liberal hunting seasons in the west

Back