Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY General Elk - Who's In?

I am likely in minority but i hope to NOT have a general... good luck guys!
That’s exactly what I’m hoping for. Everybody put in for general and improve my odds for a better tag.

Hoping to use my 12 points for a limited tag in the special draw. But I have a strong feeling the point creep this year is going to derail my plans.

We drew general tags last year with 3 points. Gonna hope for a random tag this year, because that was freaking fun!!

i have a feeling that when the new price structure hits for the "special" in 2024 or 2025 that maybe the "gen" elk in special might acually become more available or posibly a 2nd choice//sure gonna be spendy for a gen elk tag $$1950 wow///count me out,,reg is spendy enough.

I had it last year and while I didn't take a bull it was a wonderful archery hunt. I ran into 1 other hunter off the roads in 16 days of hunting (lost first half of season due to an injury while scouting up there that sidelined me and generated a nice Urgent Care bill in Laramie). Called in several small bulls, was nearly run over by a spike and had encounters with a couple big boys. Ended up spending a significant amount of time on 1 large bull that was just in a challenging spot and wouldn't play nicely after the 20th.

For me it was well worth the additional $700ish for one year. I was also closer to home than my normal CO unit :) I'd love to be able to do it every 5 years, will see how that shakes out, but it looks unlikely.

Except for dodging moose all day every day. That frazzled my nerves to no end (especially needing to cross meadows at dawn and dusk that were full of the things, up to and including within 10 yards of my truck at night walking out). I carried bear spray the last few days just for them.

Good luck!

did you not go back for rifle?

i bet the 2025 draw could easily see it being 7 points
This is what I am thinking. I currently have 9 points (so 11 going into 2025 draw). I was planning on saving them to split with my kids when they come of age, but I don’t think my points will keep up to be able to split them. I’ve been buying points as I lived all over the US and now in Europe. We will see how things shape up by 2025, but burning them on a general tag that year and cashing out might be my best option.

How many points do you guys think a general tag in the regular draw will require in 2-5 years?
If you go back over the WY draw results since 2016, you'll see that the GEN tag is costing about half a preference point more per year (averaged out, of course). However, as mentioned above, lots of people will be burning their points in 2023, so we might see a little extra point creep this year. With all of that in mind, these projections should be close.

2023-PROJECTED- somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 points should get the GEN tag in the regular draw.
2024-PROJECTED-5-6 points should be enough
2025-PROJECTED-5.5-6.5 points might do it
2026-PROJECTED-6-7 points is my guess

@TOGIE and @MtnElk it's ok lots of people go through a ho phase and are seduced by the easy access of grand, routt and summit county. Inevitably they wake up one morning... tired as hell with nothing to show for their efforts and decide to find somewhere worth while to form a lasting relationship with.

Back