WY Antelope 2014 w/ my girls

Muskeez

In 2014 I would like to hunt antelope in WY during a rifle or ML season with my 2 daughters. They are 14 and 17 now and have taken Iowa hunters safety course and are safe and profient gun handlers. I know NOTHING about antelope hunting other than that there seems to be a lot of them in WY. Trophy quality would not matter. SO, what I need to know is, Should I put in for a tag in 2013 or buy preference points for all of us in 2013? Would it be beneficial to have 1 pref. point going into the 2014 season in order to draw a better unit?
Also, slight chance that we could do it in 2013 if we could draw tags... I don't have a clue how it works and I'm already busy as heck trying to plan a Sept. archery CO elk hunt for 2013.
Time to get busy Live'n!! :D Thanks Guys and Gals!

If going this year is chancy, just buy points for everyone this year. There are quite a few units that are very good odds with 1pt. Not as many with as good a odds with 0pts.

If you aren't worried about a trophy and just want to fill tags there are more than enough to go around for 2013. Don't forget that you can just apply with whatever units you want to get your application in and then you can change your units up until June 1st or something crazy like that so you still have plenty of time to research it out. If you don't draw 2013 then you'll have your point for next year.

For an easy layout of WY Antelope, go to Ifish.net, hunting forum and search "scoutdog5". He has a 3 part discussion on the basics of hunting WY Antelope. After reading that, you'll have a decent understanding of the process.

If you don't think you will be able to hunt this year, I would definitely buy a point. If you are sure you won't go this year, you don't have to submit the application now. You can just apply for preference points between July and September I believe. The cost is $30, and you don't have to put down the cost of the whole tag.

I can help with that hunt. I live in Cheyenne now and can lead to a unit with left over tags. Fun hunt for kids. We did get a 80 inch goat there a few years ago. In all reality it is a hunt for 70 inch goats. PM me and I will get you more info if you want. The only problem with a goat hunt is that in all reality it only takes a couple hours to get two to three goats. it turns out to be a long drive for a short hunt. It might take a few days for me to get back to you.

From what it sounds like in your post, your best bet may be to just buy the PPs for each of you between 7/1-9/30 this year. Then you'll have plenty of time to do your research and with 1 PP each it will open up all kinds of areas for you to look at compared to no PPs for 2013. However, if you went this year it would be a lot cheaper because both the kids would qualify for a very cheap youth tag. Therefore, if money is any issue you may want to get with Utah400elk and take him up on his generous offer to help you. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks for everyone's help!! I'm packing up my boat right now to head to the MO river in SD, so I will check back in here next week! I'm thinking just let the girls do the hunting, and I'll do the guttn :) thanks again everyone!

Here's some additional information for you when you get back from your fishing trip. You can buy the youth PPs for each kid for $10 until they turn 18. You can also buy each of them the youth buck tag for $124 until they are 18 even if they turn 18 before the season opens. The doe/fawn tags that don't use PPs are a lot cheaper and you could just opt for that or add one or two of those tags for each of them so you have more than one tag each in case you fill out the buck tags quickly. Lots of options!

I would agree with TOPGUN... if the girls are NOT trophy hunters by doe tags. $35.00 or so. Lots of does around to shoot & lots of fun.

good luck to all
the dog

In 2014 I would like to hunt antelope in WY during a rifle or ML season with my 2 daughters. They are 14 and 17 now and have taken Iowa hunters safety course and are safe and profient gun handlers. I know NOTHING about antelope hunting other than that there seems to be a lot of them in WY. Trophy quality would not matter. SO, what I need to know is, Should I put in for a tag in 2013 or buy preference points for all of us in 2013? Would it be beneficial to have 1 pref. point going into the 2014 season in order to draw a better unit?
Also, slight chance that we could do it in 2013 if we could draw tags... I don't have a clue how it works and I'm already busy as heck trying to plan a Sept. archery CO elk hunt for 2013.

l;nmj

i am knew sorey. send me a pm and i can help.........

I can help with that hunt. I live in Cheyenne now and can lead to a unit with left over tags. Fun hunt for kids. We did get a 80 inch goat there a few years ago. In all reality it is a hunt for 70 inch goats. PM me and I will get you more info if you want. The only problem with a goat hunt is that in all reality it only takes a couple hours to get two to three goats. it turns out to be a long drive for a short hunt. It might take a few days for me to get back to you.

Nice gesture to help out another hunter and his kids. Certainly great to see and lets hope it works out for you guys.

I would say if you can get out this year you might as well. Like Utah400Elk said, it is a quick hunt especially if you aren't concerned about getting a monster. I don't see any reason to delay the hunt til 2014. A buddy and I went for the first time last year and had a blast and tagged out in one day. Check out the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MopBEQnWkE.

Thank you!!

Thanks for all of the generous replies guys! I hope that I have PM'd everyone back that has written me or offered to help. As of now I would say that it is very likely that we will go this fall, 2013. (and possibly buy points for future use as well) Especially since I just realized my oldest daughter will be gone to college in 2014 :eek: She may end up being my only hunter on this trip this year, since my youngest daughter and even my girlfriend have not taken deer yet here in Iowa and may need to get that under their belt before they take up antelope hunting, especially before we spend a lot of $ on tags before they are confident that they are "OK" with harvesting an animal. (cuz the little deer are so cuuute you know) ... They love to eat the deer, but actually killing one may be tough for my youngest daughter.

Would you recommend buying a deer tag for my oldest daughter as well? assuming the seasons over-lap and that there are both species present in a particular area? I don't want to be too overwhelmed trying to fill both species of tags, but if the opportunity came along it would be nice to have a deer tag in her pocket.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone!!

Back