Caribou Gear

WY 2021 deer/antelope results

Anyone have data showing long term sales/demand of NR whitetail tags in the Midwest? @wllm1313?

Interested to know if it’s actually gone down.

Edit: he was typing at the same time I was.
I've been trying to set aside some time to explore those numbers myself. It's difficult though, because you need several states worth of info and have to examine how allocation changed over the years plus where disease truncated demand by removing a big share of supply.

Edit: Here's a link to an article where Pat Durkin made an attempt to do some of what we're talking about.

From what he found, it looks like the trend is less "More west, less whitetail," and more "More NRs, less residents."

Last edited:
Given that there are more whitetail in PA than elk in the US I don’t think demand will decrease.
This is where my qualitative conjecture crashes and dies against the rocks of your quantitative data. 😂

Of course, animals that exist and animals that are accessible are two different things. Hence your CO-goes-90/10 example I guess.

I probably sound like the last buffalo hunter in Miles City, waiting for the return of the good old days and making predictions I can't back up. Or maybe I'm more like the guys in the housing market thread, can't tell you why it's a bubble but man it feels like a bubble!

Why? If you don't mind my asking.
It seems as though the NR tag cuts will happen in the next few years. That’s a concern, along with potential fee/cost increases. Moving the goal posts after committing to buying points is not something we are interested in continuing with. And I understand all the talking points about points not guaranteeing tags, etc.

Honestly, the anti-NR sentiment is a big deterrent for our group. We enjoy hunting in Wyoming, but we enjoy hunting other areas too. I understand we are NR and the wildlife belongs to the state, yada yada yada. We paid special tag prices for both of our tags this year. Clicking submit on that purchase was tough. It may not be a lot of money for some people, but it is for everyone in our group. The regular tag prices are a lot of money for us. Spending that amount of money while being told it’s basically meaningless makes it easy to spend that money elsewhere.

In the end, the cost, cutting NR tags, anti-NR sentiment and general hassle of it all just is not worth it to us anymore. We have other things we will do and enjoy as much or more. We were not planning to burn our points this year but decided too after the 90/10 and price increase talk.

I can tell you, for me, after drawing the tags and having no commitment to Wyoming preference points, it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Why? If you don't mind my asking.
Really? You can't figure that out?

I know I'm done with elk if i ever draw and I may throw in the towel before I draw because it just doesn't make sense to keep buying points in the face of the creep rate. Deer I am totally done with and antelope remains a maybe because I have stupidly invested in points already, and more stupidly, I may throw good money after bad in hopes that things may get better by some miracle.

Man, it makes no sense to put in for a hunt that you cannot, in a lifetime, draw starting with zero points next year, so that's easy.

It seems as though the NR tag cuts will happen in the next few years. That’s a concern, along with potential fee/cost increases. Moving the goal posts after committing to buying points is not something we are interested in continuing with. And I understand all the talking points about points not guaranteeing tags, etc.

Honestly, the anti-NR sentiment is a big deterrent for our group. We enjoy hunting in Wyoming, but we enjoy hunting other areas too. I understand we are NR and the wildlife belongs to the state, yada yada yada. We paid special tag prices for both of our tags this year. Clicking submit on that purchase was tough. It may not be a lot of money for some people, but it is for everyone in our group. The regular tag prices are a lot of money for us. Spending that amount of money while being told it’s basically meaningless makes it easy to spend that money elsewhere.

In the end, the cost, cutting NR tags, anti-NR sentiment and general hassle of it all just is not worth it to us anymore. We have other things we will do and enjoy as much or more. We were not planning to burn our points this year but decided too after the 90/10 and price increase talk.

I can tell you, for me, after drawing the tags and having no commitment to Wyoming preference points, it was absolutely the right thing to do.
Thank you for the thorough answer, those details are what I was interested in. And I certainly understand the motivation behind your decision.

My son and I have double digit points in Wyoming, utah, nevada, colorado and Arizona. Based on the majority of the factors, creep/reduced tags, increased cost and increased age (mine) at this time I imagine I will stop the point game as we draw tags. There might be a couple of exceptions ( at this time thinking Co. and AZ deer and Idaho as long as no points). After that I will like do more hunting at home, and maybe do a trip to Canada every couple of years. If things change for the positive for us NR's my outlook might change, but at this time my help in funding the west will be reducing every year for the foreseeable future.

Bunch of quitters...

Anyone throwing their sucker in the dirt wasn't that serious to start with.

I'll only quit applying everywhere when I'm dead.

Even then, my will is going to force a few folks to take some trips on me...

Wouldn't want to see my money wasted on dumb stuff like houses and cars.

kind of like you and New Mexico
Yep, I'm a quitter in New Mexico and added Illinois WT and a yearly AK fishing trip because I was so tore up about it.

Probably would have kept applying for oryx if it wasn't OIL...and I have no desire to shoot a broken horn.

Yep, I'm a quitter in New Mexico and added Illinois WT and a yearly AK fishing trip because I was so tore up about it.

Probably would have kept applying for oryx if it wasn't OIL...and I have no desire to shoot a broken horn.
Gotta say, the oryx is worth it.

Great post.

Attrition due to some of these impending changes is something I personally think is being underrated.

Only time will tell.

Great points.

I think that we will see a lot of these types of shifts as NR allocations decline and prices increase in the West.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back