PEAX Equipment

WTB: 1000 yard rifle and scope

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
You’re looking at this all wrong. Shooting accurately at 1000 yards isn’t so much about the equipment as it is about:

View attachment 184320
(In my best Cliff Clavin voice):

This is actually a technique used to preserve hearing. With the ears tucked inside the flat-brimmed hat, the dangerous sound waves emanating from the muzzle of a rifle capable of taking an animal at 1000 yards travel right past the side of the shooter’s head, without being caught by the outer ear to be channeled into the auditory canal.

Super important, if it’s a longer shot, make sure to put your bullets in your pocket w/ a hand warmer for more velocity.

And on the butt stock I always have 5 different types of bullets ready. I don’t use hashmarks or drop lines, I just use different bullet weights for say 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200...

A .270 will bounce off a hog so I’m scared a Creedmore is insufficient.
My .270 didn’t “bounce“ off of this hog. 😀..but he may have bounced a little when I dropped him in his tracks.

Attachments

• 7009D1D1-99D4-4CA7-BF51-381F7F0D22E1.jpeg
    7009D1D1-99D4-4CA7-BF51-381F7F0D22E1.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 4
In Wyoming, your 1000 yard rifle will be limited to 250 yards when the wind is gusting between 40-60mph.
Buying a “1,000 yd” gun with the intention of shooting an elk at 1000 yards is like buying a 1/2 ton pick up with “11,000 lb towing capacity“ and using it to tow an 11,000 lb trailer to the job site every day. Shots at that kinda distance are fun from a solid rest, at the range and maybe good training to push your personal limits. I would hope you are a very good, consistent, capable and ethical hunter to take a shot at that range on an animal...and you very well may be, so I’m not judging you. Just something to consider for others who may read this and think it’s worth a try without LOTS of skill and practice.

Buying a “1,000 yd” gun with the intention of shooting an elk at 1000 yards is like buying a 1/2 ton pick up with “11,000 lb towing capacity“ and using it to tow an 11,000 lb trailer to the job site every day. Shots at that kinda distance are fun from a solid rest, at the range and maybe good training to push your personal limits. I would hope you are a very good, consistent, capable and ethical hunter to take a shot at that range on an animal...and you very well may be, so I’m not judging you. Just something to consider for others who may read this and think it’s worth a try without LOTS of skill and practice.
Don’t be hating bro.

It’s funny how these rifle hunters are always trying to shoot from further away but as bow hunters we’re always trying to get closer to our prey to make it a more intimate experience.
Im not saying which one is right, but definitely 2 different mind sets.

Yeah but his ears will be tucked into his hat. Come one bro.

Back