Yeti GOBOX Collection

WTB: 1000 yard rifle and scope

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Look like a ride me hard kinda thread........
Probably better off asking about a good rifle for elk in general.
Maybe skip the 1,000yrd part.
Will likely get more serious reply.

I really , really , like the 6.5 PRC.
But , if I were wanting reliable penetration , at most all angles at longer distance, and especially on big animals weighing 400+ pounds....
There would only be three cartridges I would choose from.
.300 win mag
.300 ultra mag
.300 PRC
In that order also is my preference.

I have taken game close to 600yrds. many times with my .300 am in a Wnchester M70.
Mostly deer size. No elk as of yet.
Many of those deer went 50-60 yrds before pilling up.
An elk will likely take a hit at those distance's with little to no reaction and possibly go down when he feels like it. Which might not be in sight anymore.
At a thousand yrds that possible scenario may make finding your animal awfully hard.
In rough thick terrain it would be almost impossible.
So at distance's over 500yrds , more gun is always better.
I can hit targets pretty reliable out to 850yrds , but wouldn't try an animal at that distance.
Too many variables to ethically get it done.
Wind can be impossible to make a shot go where you want or think a bullet will go, without multiple tries and dope adjustment.
The 6.5 PRC is very capable. But I would want 180+grain bullets at very long distances on targets or game. That ensures wind cutting abilities and energy on targets.
Personal ability is always a factor. But even the best shooter using the best equipment won't always be able to make perfect hits past 600yrds.

You might look at a Tikka T3X in 223 with an SWFA 3-9 and 77 gr Blackhills 77 gr TMKs. It would be a little above your budget, but skip the IPAs for a short time and you should be able to swing it.

An elk will likely take a hit at those distance's with little to no reaction and possibly go down when he feels like it. Which might not be in sight anymore.
At a thousand yrds that possible scenario may make finding your animal awfully hard.
Possible yes, probable, not likely. If your set up at that distance it’s usually from a perch where you have a large field of view. The animal doesn’t know what just bit them. Or what direction to run to get away from it biting them again. I would bet that there is a higher likelihood of seeing it go down at the longer shots verses the under 200 where vegetation can limit more line of sight.

Look like a ride me hard kinda thread........
Probably better off asking about a good rifle for elk in general.
Maybe skip the 1,000yrd part.
Will likely get more serious reply.
@JLS is new here and doesn’t have much experience as evidenced by prior threads. Go easy on him...

All you need to do is nick a bull on the hoof and that blood trailing dog will bring him back whole.

Think you guys got the gun covered but your never going to make it to that knob 100yds from the truck if you forget your shakker bottle with 100g of protein for breakfast. In fact the more the better.
I am no longer interested in kit that people take on their hunts, I wanna hear about the supplements/preworkouts/proteins, etc.

WHAT ARE YOU FUELLED BY!?!

Why do hunters have to treat other hunters poorly? Is it because I like Vortex?
No. It’s the mental anguish you caused everyone who had to scrub the mental image of you in pink camo spandex from their mind.

At least you won’t get butt blisters when riding your e-bike behind the gates to drone scout.

No. It’s the mental anguish you caused everyone who had to scrub the mental image of you in pink camo spandex from their mind.
I’ve been hammering a lot. Cam Hanes isn’t as ripped as I am. The spandex accentuates my physique.

This thread has everything, humor, know-it-alls, pud measuring, scat jokes, 6.5 hate, man buns in yoga pants, and more.

It's so good it's gonna have to get locked soon.

BTW - I was at a shot-up rock pit today in the Tucannon and the only empty cans were TRULY and White Claw. It used to be 870 shotguns and Olympia, now its 300 AAC Ar-15s and hard seltzer.

I saw that and I couldn't wait to get back to a 4G LTE spot to read this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back