Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WPG Pup $$$?

BluegrassBilly

So I was on the list for a good WPG breeder in the area. $1500 is steep, but worth it for a good dog I figured. Unfortunately, he went on to his reward recently (maybe COVID, but ultimately immaterial).

I found another breeder breeder 1, and there’s a pup available for me, but asking $2,200. Is that a ridiculous price to pay or have they caught fire and that’s the going rate? With Covid lockdown extending, now would be a great time to get one while I’m home, so I really don’t want to get on another wait list.

Any advice is welcomed?

Seems maybe on the high end, but not out of the question. Drahthaars are similar, they'll start around $1500 and break $2000 depending on the kennel they come from and pedigrees of the parents. I'd say mean price for a DD puppy right now is going to be around $1700ish, and I'd expect WPG to be similar if not a little more.

I paid $2k for my hunting lab that came out of a good kennel with champ lines. Health guarantee, vet check up all that stuff. I dunno, probably a bit steep, but just like all things in life, you get what you pay for. Are they hard to come by right now?

Keep in mind, you can always look at other breeders out of state. You either road trip it, (that's what we did and went out to kansas),, or gun dog express will run you about 300 bucks. By the time you pay that stuff though it might be a wash.

FWIW, I'm looking at Doberman's right now and the reputable breeders are around $2500.

We shopped around for our WPG pup. Prices we found were any where from 1500-2500 depending on the breeder. The high end I got to see one of their dogs and I’m not sure I was sold on some of the stuff I saw from that dog.

We bought our Wirehair for $2000 in 2018. Dog prices are going thru the roof with the pandemic. We are dropping $2600 on a Havanese next week, wife’s happy so whatever! What the hell do you do with a dog that doesn’t hunt?

i have a litter of wirehairs due any day, tremendous bloodline, repeat breeding hard point, natural back , retreive and swim like labs, health gaurantee, ect , 700.00 a long time nstra navhda judge has the male, i have female, this guy has judged hundreds and hundreds of dogs, i hqve one of the only females he will breed to,

Attachments

• 20200705_080000.jpg
    20200705_080000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
I paid $1,000 for a wpg a year ago. I've raised wpg since 1968 so I know what a good dog looks like. I tried all the patience I could muster but when it ate the third electric heated water bucket, it was all I could stand and I shot her. Most satifying day of 2020. Just wanted you to know that $1000 buys you a piece of crap. Plan accordingly. Is it right? No! But this might take a while.

I paid $1,000 for a wpg a year ago. I've raised wpg since 1968 so I know what a good dog looks like. I tried all the patience I could muster but when it ate the third electric heated water bucket, it was all I could stand and I shot her. Most satifying day of 2020. Just wanted you to know that $1000 buys you a piece of crap. Plan accordingly. Is it right? No! But this might take a while.
I’ve been pretty frustrated with my dogs before, but damn...

No 5 buckets, an extension chord, and 3 heat lamps. Never matured in 1.7 years. Bad coat and hyper.Not quite breeding stock by any standards. If they don't meet breed standards and aren't worth keeping around they are gone. I've killed a few horses after a decent attempt to make something out of them.

Wtf...

Anyhow I paid 1500 for a field bred golden retriever pup this year so seems about right.

Yeah, you probably just shouldn't own a dog. Or a horse.

This gal cost me $400 US five years ago. 20201204_165023.jpg Didn't amount to anything till the last day of her second year. Wouldn't retrieve or hunt ... till one morning I was compelled to work her alone without the other dogs. Wow! Spectacular pointing dog and excellent retriever. And she is the happiest most loving Lab I've ever seen. But she chewed off four sets of seatbelts in the process. That was trying! Glad it worked out in the end.

Best hunting dog I'll ever own was a Lab/golden cross. Ethyl (1977-88) cost me $35.00

Last edited:
No 5 buckets, an extension chord, and 3 heat lamps. Never matured in 1.7 years. Bad coat and hyper.Not quite breeding stock by any standards. If they don't meet breed standards and aren't worth keeping around they are gone. I've killed a few horses after a decent attempt to make something out of them.
Yeah, so you're telling us the dog was kenneled outside if it ate heated water buckets, extension cord, and heat lamp. My Lab would have been as big a problem if left in a pen all the time. Never would have amounted to anything but haywire. Living with my dogs has been extremely rewarding ... for them and for me. Every year I encounter the rich boys with their fancy crated high priced dogs fresh from a year in the kennel. If those dogs don't have electronics they're gone. Often if they are wired they are gone anyway. Those guys look aghast at me with two Labs and Fr Britt walking alongside down the road at the end of the day with no wires and ask how I do it. Easy. I live with my dogs. Because I love them. I do know something about love.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back