Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WOW WYOMING LAND GRAB

Is that what CO does when private land is sold to the feds?

Federal land is public, State land is not.

Think of this as WY State Land Board (public corp) buying from Oxy public corp

B) The money wouldn’t be “given” to the citizens. The money has already been taken from the citizens, under the guise that the money was needed by the government to provide necessary services, and clearly it was not. Giving the money BACK to the citizens, OR taking less in the future, is completely different than giving someone money for nothing.

Wyoming doesn't have an income tax, this money was "taken" from corporations based in Colorado and Texas when they removed minerals from Wyoming. The person who would be getting the check was not a party to any prior transactions.

Nope - I am fine with National Parks, I am just suggesting WY has plenty of public land and too little economic diversification so the feels more like a boondoggle than progress. But if it makes WYians happy then knock yourself out.
Here's the deal....and another big reason that I want to see this happen.

Our State Legislature was on the Ken Ivory train and he is still trying to sell his land transfer snake oil to the legislature. We have a few Legislators that are still buying what he's peddling...which is unbelievable.

One of the things that the Ken Ivory disciples have long been yearning for is to "show the feds how its done, we want a big chunk of land to manage and show the .gov we can do it better". Allrighty then...use YOUR capital and make it rain, here's your big chance.

Federal land is public, State land is not.

Think of this as WY State Land Board (public corp) buying from Oxy public corp

Wyoming doesn't have an income tax, this money was "taken" from corporations based in Colorado and Texas when they removed minerals from Wyoming. The person who would be getting the check was not a party to any prior transactions.

Thank you for trying, but Bill wont get it...

A) You don’t understand economics.

B) The money wouldn’t be “given” to the citizens. The money has already been taken from the citizens, under the guise that the money was needed by the government to provide necessary services, and clearly it was not. Giving the money BACK to the citizens, OR taking less in the future, is completely different than giving someone money for nothing.

A) LOL. If that is true, a lot of people are going to feel like they got fooled into giving me a paycheck for all these years.

B) I'm not sure I understand what argument you are making, but it absolutely would be. As has been pointed out, dollars are fungible. The money in that fund largely came from taxes on oil, gas, and coal, not "taken from citizens". There is no state income tax, however, the citizens of WY agreed to fund basic services through the collection of taxes of some type (sales, land, etc). Nowhere in that agreement does it say the State will give it back if there is too much. If it did, it would be given to the citizens "for nothing". It is in a "rainy day fund", so the question is really whether or not this is worthy of its use and the citizens of WY will decide that. The budget shows a deficit in 5yr or so, so there is an argument that the money should be kept in the fund. Either way you are just delaying the implementation of a state income tax because the coal companies are filing for bankruptcy and the O&G gas revenues will eventually decline with the decline in production in the Powder River. This isn't me making stuff up, it is all in the budget.

If I embrace your argument that the money is that of the citizens of WY, my point was the state could write checks to them all and it isn't going to make any difference in diversifying the state's revenue sources or boost the economy in any way other than maybe for meth and cowboy boots, and only temporarily. If you would like to debate, feel free to PM me, because it is WAY off topic of this thread.

Here's the deal....and another big reason that I want to see this happen.

Our State Legislature was on the Ken Ivory train and he is still trying to sell his land transfer snake oil to the legislature. We have a few Legislators that are still buying what he's peddling...which is unbelievable.

One of the things that the Ken Ivory disciples have long been yearning for is to "show the feds how its done, we want a big chunk of land to manage and show the .gov we can do it better". Allrighty then...use YOUR capital and make it rain, here's your big chance.
Fair point - plus as someone said earlier, antelope are tasty :)

Id rather have Wyoming buy it than China/Koch's/Turner/etc

China can't purchase these lands due to CFIUS rules.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
Office of Investment Security
31 CFR Part 802
RIN 1505–AC63
Provisions Pertaining to Certain
Transactions by Foreign Persons
Involving Real Estate in the United

Part-2 Utah Test and Training Range, West Desert Test Center
Part 3- 90th Missile Wing, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
Missile Field (Colorado, Nebraska, and Wyoming).

Not your pig, not your farm again a Wyoming decision...and since the WY Republican dominated legislature, voted in by Republicans likes how they do things...what's the problem?
A. Never said was my decision (or pig or farm), but thanks for pointing that out a 5th time.
B. It is routine (and I believe beneficial) on this forum for folks to offer broad thoughts and observations even if they aren't' the decider/voter - plenty of talk about the Virginia Gun Rights from folks outside of Virginia.
C. If you think I am a Republican lackey or that swayed by the "awesome" wisdom of the current Republican party then you miss understand who I am.

China can't purchase these lands due to CFIUS rules.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
Office of Investment Security
31 CFR Part 802
RIN 1505–AC63
Provisions Pertaining to Certain
Transactions by Foreign Persons
Involving Real Estate in the United

Part-2 Utah Test and Training Range, West Desert Test Center
Part 3- 90th Missile Wing, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
Missile Field (Colorado, Nebraska, and Wyoming).

Quit with the facts...how can we get a good conspiracy going when you do this constantly....;)

other than maybe for meth and cowboy boots,
Are you the speech write who gave Hillary that great line about "basket of deplorables"? I find it's best when we leave our distain for our fellow citizens at the door before we talk public policy.

Are you the speech write who gave Hillary that great line about "basket of deplorables"? I find it's best when we leave our distain for our fellow citizens at the door before we talk public policy.
Simply pointing out the bifurcation in the economy. It has nothing to do with disdain for any citizens. My comment is certainly a gross overgeneralization on how the money would be spent, but it probably isn't far from being accurate. If WY did the purchase, someone is going to be mad and say the money should have stayed in the fund. Others will say it was a great purchase. Only time will tell. Mostly I have disdain for supply-side economics because the data shows it doesn't work as advertised. But I guess it is a government of the people, by the people, for the people, which means people get what they deserve.

I think you need thicker skin. In the game of public policy talk, that's nothing...

Made me laugh actually...and I live here.

I think you need thicker skin. In the game of public policy talk, that's nothing...

It wouldn't be as funny if there wasn't some truth rooted in there.

Thick skin not an issue here - just a simple observation. I don't accept the "nanny state" view of government. That is how you get Illinois or MN type government deficits folks have pointed out - it's not because they failed to invest in shale reserves.

Me after I get my check from the gubberment.

giphy.gif

It wouldn't be as funny if there wasn't some truth rooted in there.
I know a couple of Dem politicos who point to that comment as the tipping point in 2016. I am not close enough to the numbers to know if that is true but interesting thought anyway.

Thick skin not an issue here - just a simple observation. I don't accept the "nanny state" view of government. That is how you get Illinois or MN type government deficits folks have pointed out - it's not because they failed to invest in shale reserves.
In the public policy comment world of things to be outraged about, there are wayyyyy bigger fish to fry than any comment made by SAJ-99...just sayin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back