Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wounding animals

Flatrock

So I was bored the other day and was looking at the websites of some elk outfitters. I came across one outfitter who was talking about their success rates and said they had 40 clients last year and they wounded 15 elk and "countless misses". Seriously? 15 wounded bulls out of 40? That just seems stupid high to me for wounded animals. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best shot in the world but seriously, I don't wound 1 in 3 animals I shoot at and would be extremely embarrassed if I was wounding that many animals.

That can't be the norm is it? And I'm not blaming the outfitter but rather the clients. I would assume if you're spending 5-7 grand on an elk hunt that you would practice your shooting at least a little bit. And it wasn't the archers that did the worst. Only 2 wounded animals from archery hunters and 8 from rifle hunters. If hunters across the board are averaging more than a 1 in 3 wounded rate, that is extremely sad and pathetic.

Stuff happens, but if I was loosing 1 out of 3 animals I'd sell my bow.

I think it might be higher in that if a client has paid 5-7k for an elk hunt, they might be more inclined to take a marginal shot so they have something to show for their money. The guide might also encourage them to take a less than perfect shot, thinking they'll get a better tip if their client gets an opportunity.

Don't know, just throwing that out there.

Wow. That seems like a really high loss rate to me.

And I'm not blaming the outfitter but rather the clients...
I'm surprised an outfitter would post those numbers on his website. It seems the outfitter is expressing acceptance of those numbers and hunting practices. (Or lack of practice.) It doesn't speak well for the outfitter either.

I also think people are trying shots that are much farther than they are capable because they see the TV shows doing it.

You would be absolutely stunned to see how little time many of these hunters use setting up and practicing with their gun.

People who have not even sighted in are not rare. They also do not like like shooting when other people are watching I've noticed. What should be one of the most important parts of a hunt often gets skipped.

The numbers do not surprise me at all.

I also think people are trying shots that are much farther than they are capable because they see the TV shows doing it.

I agree, these yahoos see it done on tv and figure they can do it too. I'm positive those long range shows don't show the many misses and wounded animals that may or may not have been recovered.

Why would you post that in the first place? Maybe the success rate was so low they thought it would make guys think they would have an opportunity.

That's just sad. . .(all of the above comments are on point). . . .think of how many misses they had. . .( although a miss is 100% better than a marginal hit every time)

I'm surprised an outfitter would post those numbers on his website. It seems the outfitter is expressing acceptance of those numbers and hunting practices. (Or lack of practice.) It doesn't speak well for the outfitter either.

Yea I was surprised as well to see those numbers posted on the website.

Interesting...

We have an archery hunt here that in order to get your tag you have to "qualify" hitting 4 of 5 targets in the kill zone. Ranges are 15-30 yards, no range finder, and no re-do. You fail you don't get your tag.

I wouldn't be against this for all hunts... then again good luck getting that passed. We have over half the population here who are against mandatory hunters ed, the other half, have all their teeth.

bambi, what hunt is that for?First I've ever heard of anything like that but a very good idea.When I went to Africa my ph wanted to see my shooting before we went hunting.Think that would be a good idea for any outfitter so they know what they are dealing with and what range they need to get certain clients into for a shot.I'd be embarrassed to post numbers like that as an outfitter.I went on a drop camp 8 years ago and was surprised at how many guys miss 20-30 yard shots at elk.I believe they think they are so big and to hard to miss so they don't take their time and pick a spot

I remember Wayne Van Zwoll writing on taking proficiency tests while getting ready to hunt in Sweden. I can't find the specific article - but came close on some google searches.

http://www.face.eu/sites/default/files/sweden_en.pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=u-Ssua69gxcC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=Wayne+Van+Zwoll+Swedish+hunt+article&source=bl&ots=l7heKm1pMF&sig=nZRyxUuAP6WiCAIJPh8X6G8u-tw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PvCSVcP6NcS4ogTWrImIBA&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Wayne%20Van%20Zwoll%20Swedish%20hunt%20article&f=false

It is a shame that many hunters do not spend the time with their weapon to become proficient. I can't understand why because shooting is so fun (archery, rifle, slingshot, whatever...)

Can't count the times I've heard the line, "yea I stuck one..thought it was a good.hit, sounded good...but..."

Can't count the times I've heard the line, "yea I stuck one..thought it was a good.hit, sounded good...but..."

And then blame it on their gear. "I'll never use xxxxxx broadheads again." Got news for ya bud, If ya were to hit a critter in the vitals with a field point, its gunna die.

Here's a related question. When I took bowhunter ed 35 years ago, my instructors drubbed into my head that one should avoid frontal or front-quartering shot because of the shoulder bones of deer and elk. I was also taught that one shouldn't shoot at game that is alert and ready to bolt. Today I see videos of people taking frontal shots at deer, shooting at alert game, and arguing their arrows could blast through an elk's shoulder. So tell me, do the new Superbows really make that big a difference in these circumstances?

Today I see videos of people taking frontal shots at deer, shooting at alert game, and arguing their arrows could blast through an elk's shoulder. So tell me, do the new Superbows really make that big a difference in these circumstances?

It's always been about shot placement. Great new bows seem to be easier to shoot than the old ones. My first bow was a Browning Deluxe Nomad II, bought new in 1983.

Some times even good placement will result in a bad result if you are not using the proper equipment or stretching the limit of the equipment you have.
I watched a kid hit a big bull this last year (likely one of the best five bulls I have ever seen) six inches behind the shoulder and half way up. I don't think the arrow got much more that 4 inches of penetration. That bull was never found.

Antlerradar

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back