Workouts! What are we doing to prepare?

Coop

Hey guys! A lot of you are probably looking forward to September just as much as I am. This will be my first summer as a flat lander here in Omaha, so I won't be able to get out and explore too much in preparation for my trip back home to MT. That being said, I spend 40-60 hours each week in the gym as a personal trainer which is great for my preparation! Anyways, I wanted to start a thread to give you all a few workouts that I am doing myself to prepare for my time in Montana and I would love to see what workouts you are all doing! Hopefully I can give someone some motivation to get to work and I am sure I can gain some insight from you all as well!

Today's workout:

-Stretch and 1 mile run for a warm up

-12,10,8,6,6 Hang Clean paired with 10 Push Ups per round (can substitute a Kettlebell deadlift to high pull for the cleans)

-10 rounds of the following:
5 Sandbag burpees to front squat
5 Box jumps (can substitute 10 step-ups)
10 plank-ups (5 ea. side)
20 walking lunges

I can't wait to see what everyone else is up to for their workouts, and I will do my best to post a few a week as long as everyone is staying interested!

I've been throwing on a pack at lunch and walking at least 2 miles just due to time restrictions. Then when I get home I put the pack back on and hike my perimeter which is around another 1.5 miles. After the kiddos go to bed I pull out the elliptical and hit that as hard as I can for a half hr.

So around 3.5 miles over varied terrain with 50lb pack and at least 30 mins of pushing it on the elliptical Monday through Friday. Rest on the weekends unless we can go out hiking as a family.

Nothing too crazy just looking to work off any soreness in those packing muscles(back, legs, ass, ect) well before the season and with enough time to turn any hotspot on my feet into callouses.

You and me both. I made it a rule to not have any beers till after the elliptical. This does 2 things, makes sure I use the elliptical and also limit my brew drinking because by the time the kids go to sleep I've worked out and gotten a shower its damn near 10 and I'm too beat to drink more than a beer or two.

I need to start working out, I want to loose 30 pounds before September. Right now I workout twice a year and that to pass the physical fitness test for the Navy.

Just finished elk backstrap & salad,went for a stroll to where the bull had been taken 2 yrs ago & checked my prospects of filling another tag this year,in the same place....lol.
Rio likes his after dinner walks & salad gathering...eating grass. Oh & chasing bunnies.
It's tiring watching him chase bunnies.
3 walks around the ranch today should suffice.

I live at sea level and Im coaching little league but thats about done. Currently climbing stairs for an hour, getting 10K steps, and BJJ training about once a week. In 2 weeks Ill amp it up to 4 times a week and carrying a heavy pack for my stair climbing.

No booze, no sweets, no soda, and running a lot. Marathon in September before heading out west. Body weight workouts on days with no runs (pushups/pull-ups/sit-ups).

Downside is won’t be doing many (if any) pack workouts, but I’m hunting mulies rather than elk so not super concerned about being able to pack a lot of weight.

Spring bear season was created to get us post winter fata$$es on the mountain not to actually kill anything other than bad habits. Did 5.5 miles saturday up about 2500' then down, hell of workout and found 3 sheds one nice 6pt.

I don’t have hardly any free time Iv got 3 kids under 5. I just have to get creative working out.
Il do squates with the kids taking turns sitting on my shoulders. We count out loud, make a game to see how many we can get. Same with push ups.
Iv got a bicycle trailer Il load the younger two on and pull them around for a bit .
I eat popcorn like it’s going outa style Il do push-ups while it’s poping.

This helps me on my annual trip to MT, but it isn't specifically for that trip, but to just stay in shape, 51 years old.

Run 9 miles before work 5 days a week, with a long run (13-17 miles) on Sunday morning. Run two marathons a year.
After work:
3 sets of 10 chin-ups
3 sets of 60 push-ups
3 sets of 40 sit-ups (can't stand going to the gym)
Eat healthy, no fast food, no junk food, no sodas.
Just started to tote my pack on short hikes on the weekend, which has a 65 lb sack of rock for weight.

4-5 times a week I push a stroller 2 miles to the crick and back as our family time to visit the wife and work off dinner. Twice a week I throw my 35 pound youngest on my back and check a game camera line. Not possible to find real mountains were I live but I usually wind up with 4 to 10 miles over the roughest country I can find in central PA. Winter semester just ended in college and I am cutting back to 1 class in the summer and fall. That just leaves 4 kids and 60 hours a week to finance everything, so I hope to start hitting the exercise harder. Proabably add daily swimming and bike riding with my older ones. Plenty of time to sleep when I’m dead right?

I've been dieting since last summer and dropped about 55 pounds. No additional exercise outside of my normal outdoor endeavors. I fear that the dropped weight may have lulled me in to a false sense of confidence though, I guess I'll find out here soon bear hunting.

All I normally do prior to a physical hunt is start running a month or two prior to help with the cardio a bit. But I also have the benefit of being relatively young, and try to stay somewhat active year round through day hikes, scouting, etc.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back