Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wool, Sitka gear, Russell ?

Don Taylor

Im looking at some of the newer clothing on the market such as sitka and Russell, I wonder is this stuff that great? Ive been a believer in wool and have hunted in some extreame cold ( -42 on a wolf hunt a couple years ago) and wonder if this stuff would be up to snuff. I primarily am looking for some clothing for elk hunting Colo. and late season in Mi and Ohio. Is there a happy medium with stuff as far as being mobile and not sweating your balls off and stationary and freezing your balls off? I know this alot to ask of a particular garment but at the cost of some of the high end stuff it should carry out at least 2 quarters on its own. Lets here some experienced opinions, Don.

Like you said, that might be "alot to ask."

The Colorado elk hunting requires active movement, so layers are really your only solution. Layering with wool can be done, but it is so heavy, that toting it up the mountain takes a lot of fun from the equation.

I can speak for the Sitka gear. It works great for all conditions. Like all clothing, it must be used as a layering system.

In the pictures below, I am using the same system for two different hunts.

First one was standing in the riverbottoms of central MT when it was bitter cold. Cold like in -16F. Stood there for three days. Never got cold. That is not -42F as you stated could be a possibility. Would want to add another layer for that level of cold.

IMG_5929.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

The other is up in the Gallatin Range later that week. The day before Thanksgiving. 7,500' and anyone who was hunting that day, knows how frigging cold it was. Air temps at the house, at 5,000', was -15F when I left. Not sure what it was up on the mountain, but it was cold. Plus, the wind was blowing about 15mph.

Hiked up with the base layers and a vest. Then put on another base layer and the coat. Worked great.

OYOA Randy Newberg 65.jpg

This was the same layering base system for both hunts, with only a change of coat. The coat used in the mountain hunt would have surely sufficed in the whitetail hunt, and probably would have been a better choice for when the wind was blowing. Never going to be a balmy Hawaiian feeling in those conditions, but comfortable.

Good luck.

I'd be yelling uncle at -42. I'd be in the truck heading to the Conoco for a cup of hot chocolate. Craziness hunting those temps:D

big fin
what would you recommend for sitka gear for mt archery elk, for up at the lake been kinda looking around for info but any help would be great

How does the sitka gear run size wise? I need a 2x in most things is there room for layering under your normal size?

Heartofhunter...

Under the search forum type in wool vs sitka gear....you will find 5 to 6 threads dedicated to this type of question. Wool vs Sitka, Sitka vs Russell...I think you will find them informative. In addition, do a search for KUIU it is a new brand out their that is built by the maker of Sitka Gear.

Good luck!

big fin
what would you recommend for sitka gear for mt archery elk, for up at the lake been kinda looking around for info but any help would be great

Here is what I wore while archery hunting up at the lake last year.

Core Zip-T for a shirt.

Traverse Zip-T in the morning, until it warmed up some. Was almost no extra weight to put in my pack when I was done.

Ascent Pants - very light weight and comfortable. Lots of pockets for goodies.

For the run and gun of the lake area, the lighter, the better.

WARNING - Sitka does not make bug dope, and if you plan on hunting the willows, bring gallons of it.

OYOA Randy Newberg 45.jpg

BigFin- I know this has been hashed over before, but maybe you could list the cold weather sitka gear you wear for the new readers.

BigFin- I know this has been hashed over before, but maybe you could list the cold weather sitka gear you wear for the new readers.

Sure. In Post #2, here is what the layering system was.

Bottoms are easiest, so I will start there. I wear fewer layers there, as when I am moving a lot, I don't get cold on my legs.

Traverse Bottoms - these are the best "long johns" I have ever used, by any company.

Coldfront Pants - I wore these a lot in the deeper snow. Better water resistance. And better in colder conditions.

Yet, when it is cold, but not brutally cold, I go with the 90% Pants. Those are just so versatile, that when budgets are condsidered, the 90% Pants will serve you in just that - 90% of the conditions.

Top layers are a little more difficult, as that is where I usually get more lathered up while hiking. So, I use more layers there. I almost always go with these two base layers on the top.

Core Zip-T - This wicks moisture aware very fast. Not much insulation provided, but the moisture removal is key for me, when hiking in cold weather.

Traverse Zip-T - This provides that extra layer of air space. Have at times brought an extra one and worn two of these when I will be inactive for long stretches. Very warm.

Now I will try to get some wind resistance in my fabric, either at the vest level or the outer level. Here is my normal layers.

Celsius Vest - Again, trying to build that layer of insulation for when I will be on a cold, windy point, glassing after all the hiking. This is not the wind resistance part of this layer, but more warmth.

Jetstream Jacket - This is the Windproof layer. Also very water resistance. And very war.

The other option from my prefered layers above, is a quiter outer fabric that is not as wind proof, but having the wind proof layer in the vest. Here is how I do that.

Jetstream Vest - This has the Windstopper fabric, and is a great vest.

90% Jacket - This is more quite and has a layer of warmth. Since the Windstopper of the vest in this combo does the wind proofing, this is another option. But, I most often use the option above.

I almost always carry an extra Traverse Zip-T, or two. The weight to warmth ratio of those is so good, that it is easy to justify carrying an extra, just in case the temps drop way down.

Since I am usually glassing and stalking, I am not too concerned about the slight noise provided by better wind and waterproof fabrics. If I was still hunting in thick timber and knew I was going to have 50 yard shots, then noise factor would be paramount and I would have the higher level wind and waterproof layers underneath a softer shell.

As far as sizing, the stuff is form fitted. I wear XL in all of it. My waist is 36. My chest is 44. And it fits me almost perfect. I am not sure what a 2XL would be, but if fit was a concern, I would find a place that has some and try it on.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back