Hopefully I don't freeze

TexanSam

Well folks, I'm a little less than a month away from 3rd rifle season, and I have about as sweet of a deer tag that you can draw for 2nd choice in Colorado. So, I figured, why the heck not start a live thread.

I really haven't done much to prepare yet, but with the weeks drawing closer I have some things in mind to do prior. So far this is all I've done to prepare:
1. Lose a couple pounds
2. Grow a beard
3. Scout OnX from my work computer while the boss isn't looking.

My main concern is that with the elevation of the unit mostly in the likes of 7500-10,500 feet, that it is going to be cold and snowy. Now, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the snow despite being from Texas (thanks to my brother living in Calgary for 6 years) but I can honestly say that I have never hunted nor camped in the stuff informally known as "White BS". So there is where my main concern is with preparing. I don't really own a whole lot of cold weather apparel, but I figured between some bargain hunting and the LL bean gift card that's been sitting in my sock drawer since Christmas, I can find something to make it work. I really have no idea what it is I should be looking for though, but figure it needs to be some kind of synthetic base layer, a waterproof outer shell, and layers of wool or anything warm that isn't cotton in between. (If anyone has some advise here please inform me)

Although I may lack the necessary clothing, I do have a good pair of boots, a large tipi tent with a wood burning stove, a zero degree bag and some leftover hand-warmers.

My next thing to prepare is probably going to have to be food. This is something I have experience with. Prep a few meals, vac seal em and freeze em. Then heat them up in camp. Also pack plenty of dry foods that don't need to be heated.

One thing that I can imagine that the cold will be good for is keeping stuff cold in my coolers. I'm wondering if I will need to fill them to the brim with frozen water jugs, or if just enough to keep the food cold for the 13 hour drive will be enough.

Now the biggest thing left to prepare for this hunt is probably getting ready mentally. I figure, the best way for success is going to require me to embrace "the suck" and get ready for what might possibly be a cold miserably hell. If I can do that, then it should make my chances of finding a legal buck much higher. And having been working my first mind numbing, soul draining, post-college corporate job for almost a year now, what a better way to get away from that than an adventure like this that only comes once a year. I will be going at it alone, setting up camp somewhere along a road near some of the spots I've marked on OnX, and hiking in from there with a plan to move camp if the first area isn't successful.

Anyways, I plan on leaving as soon as I can get off work on friday the 1st, driving as far as I can, then catching some sleep hopefully in the Texas panhandle somewhere, and then driving the rest of the way saturday morning so that I can set up camp and start glassing while there is still daylight. I have never hunted colorado before, but I sure am excited to go on this adventure!

Y'all stay tuned

Good luck to you one thing I’d bring some wool army surplus blankets it will help that 0 degree bag. Better to have it and not need it.....

Excited to follow along, and I hear you on the whole soul crushing corporate job thing.

If you can, get a puffy coat (the best you can afford). They are light and crazy warm. Mittens are a must, especially with a wool liner.

Attitude will be your soulmate or your nemesis so it looks like you’re on the right path. Good luck!

Good luck. I'd try and find a solid thermos and make hot beverages to bring with you during the day. Really changes the complexion of a below freezing day at altitude.

What I wear on cold days hunting in Mississippi and Louisiana is what I wear on a cold Western hunt. Make sure the jacket is wind proof.

I hunted 3rd last year, spent some time cold and bundled up and also spent some time in a T-shirt. Best to plan for bitter cold though and adjust accordingly.

The nice thing about a truck-based camp is that you can pretty much bring as much stuff as you want. Even if you don't acquire some expensive, high-tech clothing system between now and then, you can still stay warm if you have a pile of hoodies, sweatpants, etc. to layer with as needed. It might not be optimal, but better to be out hunting like the Michelin Man than stay home because you don't have a $500 hunting costume.

Good luck out there!

Good luck! You’ll do ok. One good thing about hunting from the truck is that if it gets too much, too cold, too lonely, or too frustrating, you can ride into town for an afternoon or night. Having a beer and a burger gives you a good opportunity to regroup and rethink your plan. The next day you can get back at it with a clear head, assuming you don’t have too much beer. We did that last year and will again this year if we get to struggling and floundering.

I like the idea of truck camping by yourself. Being able to take some creature comforts is not a bad thing. You can eat better and sleep better not having to pack everything in on your back. Good luck.

That time of year it is going to be all about if a cold front is moving in or moving out.

One thing that people often overlook is that liquids can and will freeze that time of year. A cooler can actually be used to keep things from freezing instead of the other way around. Melting frozen water to cook with can be a drag and use up fuel pretty quick. Use the cooler to keep some water in so that it doesn't freeze up overnight and then you don't have to mess with thawing it out. Hydration bladders are awesome in the summer, but the hoses can freeze pretty easy that time of year even with an insulated sleeve on the hose. Bottles in your pack seem to work better in the winter for me.

Don't plan on trying to heat the tent during the night with the stove. I find it best to use the stove in the evening and then let it burn down while you are getting ready to go to sleep. Especially if you are by yourself you won't be able to keep the stove going all night without waking up every hour and an half to add wood. I get better sleep if I let it cool down in the tent some before going to bed and just making sure my sleeping bag is good to go for the temperature I'm expecting it to get. I've tried keeping the tent warm all night and it just ends up with hot and cold spells and a sleepless night.

My 2 cents.

After spending months of my life where the day time highs don't crack -10 degrees, 22 for the high sounds like damn nice hunting weather. Probably wouldn't even be wearing my hat on the hike in.

After spending months of my life where the day time highs don't crack -10 degrees, 22 for the high sounds like damn nice hunting weather. Probably wouldn't even be wearing my hat on the hike in.

Yes, but it's not 3rd season right now. It will be colder by then. It will always be colder somewhere else. That doesn't make it feel any warmer.

That time of year it is going to be all about if a cold front is moving in or moving out.

Don't plan on trying to heat the tent during the night with the stove. I find it best to use the stove in the evening and then let it burn down while you are getting ready to go to sleep. Especially if you are by yourself you won't be able to keep the stove going all night without waking up every hour and an half to add wood. I get better sleep if I let it cool down in the tent some before going to bed and just making sure my sleeping bag is good to go for the temperature I'm expecting it to get. I've tried keeping the tent warm all night and it just ends up with hot and cold spells and a sleepless night.

My 2 cents.

My stove has a coal grate. A good bed of coals to start, then add a few pieces of stove coal (use a stove thermometer) once the coal is going semi bank the fire. I’m old enough to have to get up in the middle of the night anyway. I replenish the wood and coal. Makes for a decent night. Works for me.
It is easy for some to get ground down when hunting alone. A few comforts can go a long way in keeping one’s chin up when things get tough.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back