which clothing brand...

TheSleepyHunter

I'm looking to get some new hunting clothing and am wondering which brands that advertise as "high performance apparel" really are. While I think camo patterns can be more "cool" than necessary (please correct me if I'm wrong here), I'm really looking for pieces that breathe and hold up through abuse. I hunt (deer & elk) in Utah (rifle & bow) and usually its Aug-Oct so days are warm and mornings are slightly chilly. I personally tend to overheat & sweat very easily so breathability/drying are critical for me, and I'd like it if it didn't get torn to shreds in 1 season too.

Here are the brands I've come across that advertise as "high performance", for the sake of conversation let's ignore prices
-Kuiu
-Sitka
-Kryptec
-First Lite
-Browning Hells Canyon Speed
-Under Armour (specifically Ridge Reaper line)
-SKRE
-or maybe is not even a "hunting" brand, the other outdoor market has some nice apparel too ie: Arcteryx, OR, FjallRaven, Mountain Hardware etc

Yes I can admit I am a bit of a gear nerd but really I just want stuff that will truly perform. I've hunted with my dad's old-actually really old military hand me downs and since I've began to update gear I can easily tell a difference. I recognize gear doesn't propel me into a super-hunter but it does make it more comfortable and that helps me stay out longer. Sure appreciate any recommendations/past experiences you have to share. This stuff isn't cheap but the off season is the best time to shop.
20161025_105212.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use UA all the time and really enjoyed their clothing. Probably about 6-7 years ago, UA hunting gear went down hill fast. I still have some older pieces from UA that i use regularly but i wont even buy new UA stuff at %50 off now. Isn't even worth that. I sent a bunch of ridge reaper stuff back a few years ago. Its junk as well IMHO.

I started buying first lite 5-6 years ago after i gave up on UA. I've yet to need a reason to try out the other brands you've mentioned. First lite it is for me. Great product from a company that is a big advocate for public lands. What more could you ask for?

I'm a fan of KUIU, the attack pants are by far my go to pants with the zip down side areas to vent. The guide DCS jacket is my next go to jacket, it also has zip pits to ventilate. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and if taken care of it lasts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back