Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

Great thread. Did some woodworking in high school and trade school, then went to build pole barns for a bit and lost some of those finer skills, then went back to farm and lost most of the rest of the skills.

Preparing to remodel my grandpa’s house before we move in and I’m hoping to rekindle some of my lost skills… getting started buying tools is a B, but we will see what I come up with. Thanks for the motivations, folks!

I sawed up some swamp ash I took off my land. Had a few nice crotch chunks that made for some real nice shade change figuring. I made a couple guitar bodies out of them. Lots of sanding. Dying.. sanding... sealing.. sand20230415_220808.jpging.. grain filling. Sanding sanding sanding. On both if these I sprinkled a little colored glitter on them and finger wiped until it stuck only in the deep grain. Finished with automotive 2 part urethane. 20230419_181911.jpg20230417_221138.jpg20230414_211344.jpgreceived_675585394208973.jpeg

Attachments

• received_591025816171103.jpeg
    received_591025816171103.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I sawed up some swamp ash I took off my land. Had a few nice crotch chunks that made for some real nice shade change figuring. I made a couple guitar bodies out of them. Lots of sanding. Dying.. sanding... sealing.. sanding.. grain filling. Sanding sanding sanding. On both if these I sprinkled a little colored glitter on them and finger wiped until it stuck only in the deep grain. Finished with automotive 2 part urethane. View attachment 273935View attachment 273936View attachment 273937View attachment 273939

Now that turkey season is over for me, I am back in the woodshop moving projects along. Just finished a Mother's Day gift for my wife. She said she wanted a lazy Susan for the dining room table so I got a log section from a Hackberry tree that fell down on my friend's farm and went to work.

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg
IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3921.jpeg

I really love the spalting and the all the figuring in the wood. And the wife loves it too.

I got a turkey this year. It was six long years since my last one and I figured that was a special enough occasion to warrant making a tail fan display.

IMG_3940.jpg

The feather attached on the side and wood-burnt on the center was something I found when I sat down under the cottonwood tree to set up for the turkeys to arrive. I like to think it was my lucky feather so I stuck it in my cap for the hunt and gave it a place of honor on the display.

IMG_3937.jpg

This is a little closer look at the detail. I use an embedded magnet to hold the shell in place. I don't have a picture (happy to post one if any one wants it) but I did the same thing with two magnets, one in the board and one in the fan) to hold the fan in place.

The cherry wood is from the tail end of a piece of a branch that tore off a tree not far from where I shot the turkey. I use the other part of the branch to make a mount for my 2020 Euro mount buck, which I think I posted pictures of in this thread.

IMG_3876.jpg

I love taking found wood and turning it into something pretty.

IMG_3892.jpg

And of course, here's a gratuitous picture of me with the turkey.

IMG_3847.jpg

Now that turkey season is over for me, I am back in the woodshop moving projects along. Just finished a Mother's Day gift for my wife. She said she wanted a lazy Susan for the dining room table so I got a log section from a Hackberry tree that fell down on my friend's farm and went to work.

View attachment 275451

View attachment 275452
View attachment 275453
View attachment 275455

I really love the spalting and the all the figuring in the wood. And the wife loves it too.
Did you make or purchase the metal router tray?

Did you make or purchase the metal router tray?
I made it. The ends are short sections of 4x4 and the rails are 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum L-shaped bar. cheap, easy and it works really well. I made a longer one for use on wider pieces too.

I made it. The ends are short sections of 4x4 and the rails are 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum L-shaped bar. cheap, easy and it works really well. I made a longer one for use on wider pieces too.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. I get logs all the time but the rack to purchase are insanely expensive and overkill.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. I get logs all the time but the rack to purchase are insanely expensive and overkill.
In the picture you can see the router sled is riding on some 1x4 stock. That are just pallet slats that I repurposed. Two 1x4s screwed together at a right angle. It's a pretty low cost way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back