Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

Anyone have any recommendations for a mid level table saw? I have 110v, and my job site kobalt saw is a nightmare. Nothing is square and the throat is warped causing stock to get hung up. I’d like to go the hybrid cabinet saw route. I was saving up for a saw stop, but that fund got pilfered for a well deserved set of diamond earrings. I see grizzly has a few hybrid saws that are fairly affordable, Laguna has the Fusion F1, and also the rigid/delta contractor saws for around $600 and cheaper on marketplace. The saw stop is way more then I want to spend or need for my current skill level, but I keep coming back to the safety feature. I know the rigid/delta would be a huge step up from what I have, but is it worth saving a little more for the grizzly or Laguna?

I have a Rigid contractor/portable table saw and it fits my needs well. Very good fence and cuts square. I removed the safety cover over the blade. For me those things are more of a danger than safety feature. I push the fence against the blade and lock it down when saw is not in use.

I bought a tin top Craftsman about 1974 and wore it out but it never failed. I replaced it in 2005 with another cast top Craftsman when we built the new log home. It has literally cut thousands of feet of lumber from finish grade trim to cutting 1/4"aluminum for shop projects. I highly recommend it for longevity and accuracy.

When I built my cabin, I purchased a jobsite Delta table saw which I ran off a generator. It ripped and crosscut many, many BF of dimensional lumber and poles and rails.
I still use it today, twenty years later.

Back in 2000-ish I bought a Ridgid table saw. It is a hybrid with a cast iron top and wings. I have used it for so many things and while it seemed like an extravagance when I bought it, I've had it for 20 years and it was worth every penny.

I do wish I had a Saw Stop just for the safety aspect but regardless of the direction you go, buy the best you can get since you will most likely use it for a long time.

don't be afraid of a good used saw. sometimes I see good old delta unisaws for about the price of a good hybrid. lots of other good used out there. it may help you stretch your dollar or just get more for your money.

Anyone have any recommendations for a mid level table saw? I have 110v, and my job site kobalt saw is a nightmare. Nothing is square and the throat is warped causing stock to get hung up. I’d like to go the hybrid cabinet saw route. I was saving up for a saw stop, but that fund got pilfered for a well deserved set of diamond earrings. I see grizzly has a few hybrid saws that are fairly affordable, Laguna has the Fusion F1, and also the rigid/delta contractor saws for around $600 and cheaper on marketplace. The saw stop is way more then I want to spend or need for my current skill level, but I keep coming back to the safety feature. I know the rigid/delta would be a huge step up from what I have, but is it worth saving a little more for the grizzly or Laguna?
Dewalt 850, 3/4 horse.

Better than my old Sears or Ingersol/Rand.
Had a small Makita,but it was a jobsite toy.

I’ve got a ridged hybrid saw with a cast too. Served me very well. I upgraded the fence. In my opinion upgrading the fence on a decent saw can make it a great saw.

I finally finished up a belated Christmas present for my brother in law. Originally he just wanted a rack where he could organize his paints that he uses for painting miniatures for various games.

I decided to complexify the project a little and create a box with collapsible trays. It is in no way the best work I've ever done in terms of technical ability but I was doing a lot of things for the first time. I enjoyed trying box joints for the first time but I didn't do a great job on them.

Also, it was a real course in engineering on the fly as I tried to design a tray system that could lay flat when the box is closed and tier up when the box was open.

IMG_3799.jpeg
IMG_3800.jpeg
IMG_3801.jpeg
IMG_3802.jpeg
IMG_3803.jpeg

It was a fun project and I am glad a pushed myself to try some new things. I'll certainly try some of these things again in the future.

I finally finished up a belated Christmas present for my brother in law. Originally he just wanted a rack where he could organize his paints that he uses for painting miniatures for various games.

I decided to complexify the project a little and create a box with collapsible trays. It is in no way the best work I've ever done in terms of technical ability but I was doing a lot of things for the first time. I enjoyed trying box joints for the first time but I didn't do a great job on them.

Also, it was a real course in engineering on the fly as I tried to design a tray system that could lay flat when the box is closed and tier up when the box was open.

View attachment 269202
View attachment 269203
View attachment 269204
View attachment 269205
View attachment 269206

It was a fun project and I am glad a pushed myself to try some new things. I'll certainly try some of these things again in the future.
Beautiful!

View attachment 269202
View attachment 269203
View attachment 269204
View attachment 269205
View attachment 269206

Did you use a jig to cut the box joints?

I did use a jig. I watched a bunch of You Tube videos and then went with the most simple jig but it ended up being a little less exact than I wanted. Next time I do a box joint I will make a better jig.
I used a Wolf (German) router jig. Not the greatest but I can probably blame most of the difficulty on improper router bit (not long enough for 3/4" lumber = making two cuts for every notch). Also, cherry I used for gun case has a propensity to gum up the cutters.
Citori case 1.JPGAmmo Box Montage.jpg

Just finished up 1/3 of this built in. So far it’s been a lot of fun and I got to learn some new techniques. I was surprised how solid the carcass was by using dados and rabbets. I also learned that walls are not square and caulk is my friend. There will eventually be a matching upper and I will put some panels on the wall and trim it out, maybe even some drawers.

Attachments

• 6D0A1B26-5385-4C73-ADAC-5FEA0C09D8A7.jpeg
    6D0A1B26-5385-4C73-ADAC-5FEA0C09D8A7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 72565599-D5AA-48E5-97E9-DC733CB21E03.jpeg
    72565599-D5AA-48E5-97E9-DC733CB21E03.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 31C77955-92E1-4DC4-A2C2-E0D528125CB6.jpeg
    31C77955-92E1-4DC4-A2C2-E0D528125CB6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • AFAE6325-0047-46AE-B661-BE6C9979593E.jpeg
    AFAE6325-0047-46AE-B661-BE6C9979593E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • D235B52E-F8F1-40E4-8C0D-8C3F9ACB6F9B.jpeg
    D235B52E-F8F1-40E4-8C0D-8C3F9ACB6F9B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Just finished up 1/3 of this built in. So far it’s been a lot of fun and I got to learn some new techniques. I was surprised how solid the carcass was by using dados and rabbets. I also learned that walls are not square and caulk is my friend. There will eventually be a matching upper and I will put some panels on the wall and trim it out, maybe even some drawers.
Pocket holes on the face frame?

I am no woodworker but one of my boys is good at just about anything he tries. He made this bar for the farmhouse out of stuff laying around the farm. Total cost was zero other than a little glue and stain. 02DD957B-1D12-4DB3-B1F7-8AAAAFCB70B9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back