Wood stove types?

I've made my stoves and tried both round and rectangular.

IMO, rectangular is better.
1. No messing with taking a round device and adding a flat top...
2. I believe a flat bottom permits good distribution of base coals vs a pit. My experience, it retains heat longer.
3. I believe it's easier to box in wood for longer burns vs peak rounded height above the door...
4. I find rectangles are simpler to pack in the truck as wells as store at home vs circular.
5. I believe my food and most importantly, coffee taste better warmed on a rectangular fire box. Science swears by it... 😉

Btw... put away the wussy hot water tanks... one extra Beverly Hills 90210, spice girl toy to pack and store..

A coffee cup heats fast enough for a body cleansing... and a pot works just fine for a sweat lodge.

I've only used cylinder stoves in the past and they've performed well enough. I got my own 10'x12' wall tent last summer, so I will hopefully be using my new Camp Chef cylinder stove this year. Due to the fire bans in Colorado last year, I had to resort to propane for heat which worked perfectly fine too.

I do really like the idea of the self-feeding, pellet stoves.

I had a rectangular stove built by some high school students curtesty of a friend of mine who is a shop teacher. All material was free and the labor was only a couple 12 pack of mnt dew for the kids. They did a great job and we're super happy with the turn out. I wish I had a picture to share. It heats up our tent (I think 10x14) very well - to the point that we often need to crack window or door to sleep comfortably.

I've made my stoves and tried both round and rectangular.

IMO, rectangular is better.
1. No messing with taking a round device and adding a flat top...
2. I believe a flat bottom permits good distribution of base coals vs a pit. My experience, it retains heat longer.
3. I believe it's easier to box in wood for longer burns vs peak rounded height above the door...
4. I find rectangles are simpler to pack in the truck as wells as store at home vs circular.
5. I believe my food and most importantly, coffee taste better warmed on a rectangular fire box. Science swears by it... 😉

Btw... put away the wussy hot water tanks... one extra Beverly Hills 90210, spice girl toy to pack and store..

A coffee cup heats fast enough for a body cleansing... and a pot works just fine for a sweat lodge.
This brings up a good question; Can you even all a round stove with a flat top a cylinder?

@SaskHunter how are you carrying this stuff in? Unless a person hunts with llamas, horse or sets up right next to their truck... I’m kinda clueless on how people transport wall tents, stove and all the gear etc? 🤷🏻‍♂️

@SaskHunter how are you carrying this stuff in? Unless a person hunts with llamas, horse or sets up right next to their truck... I’m kinda clueless on how people transport wall tents, stove and all the gear etc? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Huh, with my truck and ATV? Not every hunt has to be a backpack or pack in hunt. I have a backpack hunt tent and stove set up, this is for a different style of hunting.

Huh, with my truck and ATV? Not every hunt has to be a backpack or pack in hunt. I have a backpack hunt tent and stove set up, this is for a different style of hunting.
Just a curious question was all. No offense intended. Only asking because I’m still a young grasshopper just learning.

Sytes brings up concise points.
I cook on top of my flat top . I keep stuff warm on the extended side shelf. Admittedly the hot water tank is used sparingly but nice for a face/hands wash.
Packs nicely in truck. I don't personally care if it runs until morning, since I like fresh air while I sleep. Fire it up,tent is warm in minutes.

So I'm finally getting a wall tent, I've debated long enough on which type and size of tent I wanted and settled for a 10x12 wall tent. Chances are, I'll be hunting alone 99% of the time but I would have enough room for a second person if need be. Anyway, now I need to figure out which kind of wood stove to buy, what are the pros and cons of cylindrical Vs square box?

Other than having a larger box, is there any advantages to a square or cylinder box? Is it just about the looks?
I got a square one for my wall tent. I forget what brand, but one thing I like about it is that the whole stove, pipes and all pack into it. I also like the flat top for cooking, water, etc. I'll tell you what, when I added that to my kit, the crappiest days got a hell of a lot better when you you could sit by the stove and shake it off!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Highly recommend a spark arrester insert.

Just a curious question was all. No offense intended. Only asking because I’m still a young grasshopper just learning.
Fair enough. Sleeping in a crappy tent is cool and all but one day you reach a point where you don't want to be miserable for days on end.

Also, buying a wall tent and crying once beats booking hotel rooms 2-3 times a year in the long run.

I think that when you move on from a tent weighing ounces to a tent weighing pounds you quit assuming it is getting strapped to your back.
Now you need to decide if you are going Sparten or Taj.
I purchased (2) cylindar type stoves last month. 1 for the cabin and 1 for the tent. I'll let you know how they work an a couple months.

I've got the camp chef cylinder stove. It does fine, and can last about 4-6 hours if you load it well. I put a gasket in the door to help seal it as it leaked air like a sieve and that increased my burn time significantly. So whichever you get, make sure you're sealed up tight. The chimney, legs, spark arrestor, etc all fit inside of it.

A heavier stove will retain more warmth as the fires dies, so think of t hat or get some refractory bricks to put in your stove for added warmth. Since this is truck camping/easy living, weight isn't as much of an issue for you. Go heavy & stay warmer.

This brings up a good question; Can you even all a round stove with a flat top a cylinder?
S'pose so... now days, a square peg can be called a round hole and vise versa. :unsure:🤣 Mixed drinks, breeds, blah...

It's odd though, (again - im -humble-o) buy a flat top for a round stove... instantly lose the voided space between the top and circular shape whereas a square front would utilize as internal to the stove.

Check these out. We use one for our deer camp wall tent in northern Mn. Diesel fuel.

Does it burn 40lb of pellets in 8 hours? Website says provides 8 hours of heat with a 40 lb sack of pellets. Just curious as that seems like a lot of pellets for 8 hr burn.
No I get a little over two nights out of a 40lb bag and that’s starting it early evening if I keep it choked back

No I get a little over two nights out of a 40lb bag and that’s starting it early evening if I keep it choked back
But it does last all night, correct? Also do you have the one that can burn wood too? If so can you put wood in while using the pellets?

But it does last all night, correct? Also do you have the one that can burn wood too? If so can you put wood in while using the pellets?
Yes I just top hopper off before going to bed and it burns all night.

I don’t have the one that burns wood too. My friend does. I’m not sure if you can burn wood at the same time. Not sure why you’d want to I guess

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back