Wood stove types?

Sasquatchewan

So I'm finally getting a wall tent, I've debated long enough on which type and size of tent I wanted and settled for a 10x12 wall tent. Chances are, I'll be hunting alone 99% of the time but I would have enough room for a second person if need be. Anyway, now I need to figure out which kind of wood stove to buy, what are the pros and cons of cylindrical Vs square box?

Other than having a larger box, is there any advantages to a square or cylinder box? Is it just about the looks?

I’m the furthest thing from an expert you could possibly get on this topic but I’m fat so I always think about food. On a square stove you can set a pot to heat water or chili.

I'm looking at two stove models in particular, one has a square box and the other is cylindrical but has a flat cooking surface on the top that runs the whole length of the stove.

I'm pretty fat for a skinny guy and always think about food too!

I'm looking at two stove models in particular, one has a square box and the other is cylindrical but has a flat cooking surface on the top that runs the whole length of the stove.

I'm pretty fat for a skinny guy and always think about food too!
I warned you that I’m as far from an expert as you’ll get.

As far as I'm concerned there is
no difference, it doesn't take a huge stove to heat a 10x12, but I try to get stoves adequate size and. Weight for heating, but I can lift it without hurting myself

I've got a Colorado cylinder stove same size tent. It's like a damn science experiment keeping the stove stoked through the night. It's about like that in any wall tent though. Works well for cooking cast also has a stainless water heater for the side pretty nice to get a hot towel and clean yourself up after a day.

Your also welcome to come stay and try it out.

I have a Davis cylinder stove that came as a package with my tent, I like it. Mine has a hot water tank as well, which is a nice add on. The Riley stoves are really nice if you want something lighter and more packable.

My square stove has a hot water tank on one side and a extension shelf on the other. The shelf is great for keeping things warm without being directly over the stove.

I've got a Colorado cylinder stove same size tent. It's like a damn science experiment keeping the stove stoked through the night. It's about like that in any wall tent though. Works well for cooking cast also has a stainless water heater for the side pretty nice to get a hot towel and clean yourself up after a day.

That’s why I decided to go with a pellet stove. I hunt 90% of the time by myself and I’m horrible about waking up in the middle of the night to add wood to the fire. I’d rather slide farther into my sleeping bag. So I went with pellet stove. Fill hoper before going to bed and still burning when I wake up

Will there be hot towels? ;)

If YOU have a cylinder I'll definitely go with that!!! The square box has a flat bottom with several metal rods welded on to avoid warping, I feel like it might be a pain in the butt to clean out. For the same price point, the square one has a 2.17 cubic ft box Vs the cylinder at 2 cubic ft. I see pros and cons for both and at this point I might just flip a coin.

I'm pretty sure they come with it hahaha

The place I'm looking at buying from has pretty nice tent packages but everything is an add on, tent fly, stove, spark arrestor, stove pipes, water tank, etc.

It's not a big deal but the idea of hot water on demand sounds pretty good to me. I'll definitely take a look a pellet stoves though.

That’s why I decided to go with a pellet stove. I hunt 90% of the time by myself and I’m horrible about waking up in the middle of the night to add wood to the fire. I’d rather slide farther into my sleeping bag. So I went with pellet stove. Fill hoper before going to bed and still burning when I wake up
What brand of pellet stove do you have? I’ve been kicking around getting one to keep it warm through the night

This from the Riley pellet stove site surprised me:
NOTE: These pellet stoves do not work at elevations over 8,000 feet due to the lack of oxygen at higher elevations!
They make a pellet/wood stove. Can burn wood at higher elevations. And pellets everywhere else

This is what we run in a 16x18 Davis and it works well. You would NOT need this big one for your size tent buy I would definitely suggest a piezo-electric fan to circulate warm air.....HUGE help in really cold weather. I also welded about 1 inch "feet" onto the coal grate to give some space under it. As for the stoking through the night......I don't get that. Have a GOOD sleeping bag and just snuggle in as the stove dies down, your bag should be your primary warmth at night. Have your "starter" set up for the morning and you'll have be warm in a couple of minutes.

We have run this setup down to about -10-15f with no issues

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back