Wondering about Taxidermist past Date

@Birdbander I would definitely give him a yell (email, text, smoke signals) but I would be on the side of this being longer than I would be ok with for a euro. If it was a shoulder mount, totally different story.

My experience in Montana has been that I usually get the euro mount done in 2-4 days depending on how busy they are, and have driven back east with it. Also, in South Carolina, when doing a euro mount, they usually have it done in under 1-2 weeks. Both of these guys in MT, and in SC are one man operations.

Update

Just received a phone call from the taxidermist in response to the email I sent yesterday. Very apologetic saying they had not received my call or text so reached out when they read my email.

Explained that things were running a bit slower for them this past year and that the turnaround from the beetle guy was very lagging. I'm very much reassured and I'm certain this being the first time taking anything to a taxidermist played into my concerns.

I don't know why Bad Communication Skills is the #1 prereq for becoming a taxidermist but it's always proven to be true in my experience.
IMO a really good taxidermist is no different than a good artist/craftsman. They are usually a one man show...if they spent all their time answering folks who call to check and see when their mount is done they wouldn't get any work done. Plus they were trained in taxidermy not communication skils....🤷‍♂️

if they spent all their time answering folks who call to check and see when their mount is done they wouldn't get any work done. Plus they were trained in taxidermy not communication skils...
If someone agrees to accept my money for a service they provide then I guess I assume that basic levels of courtesy and communication are skills they should possess.
To each his own though.

I work in concrete. I think years of training are required to learn to fib without grinning or remorse. Then you get a turn on the dispatch phones.
Taxidermy, oftentimes, can be similar. One man shops have to overcommit to allow for deadbeats. They have to take the work when it comes in, not when it is convenient. Then so much of their work is outsourced to tanneries, beetle dudes, etc, over which, they have no control.
And life sometimes gets in the way.
When your deadline arrives, make the call, be anxious, hopefully they respond and all is well. Good luck, I hope the skull turns out great!

The box from the taxidermist was waiting for me when I returned home this evening after a week of grouse hunting in the North Maine Woods.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Far beyond what I could have done, makes me thankful that I put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Small by most folks standards (63 4/8) but I like it for my first.20231023_200759.jpg

@Birdbander check out this thread

@Birdbander check out this thread

Saw that, thanks.

Anything more than 6 months is unacceptable to me and I ask them how long it will be right up front.

If they are not willing to commit to 6 months - 1 year MAX, I find another taxidermist.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have your animal for more than 1 year. None.
How much taxidermy do you have? I was always under the impression they take in work in a very short period and spend the next year working on it to clear it out? They supposed to not work for 6 months out of the year? I agree a year is reasonable max, but 6 months is pretty optimistic. Maybe I'm not seeing reality, but I've spent about 30k on taxidermy over the years. That said my last one was done in 4 months after I dropped off the antlers but he had the cape for a year. I also have some that have been at a taxi over 10 years and the guy vanished...

I brought a full buck into the processor and they said they’d give me the skull back when they processed the deer to make it easier on them. I was planning on having a euro mount done so I was only worried about the skull

When I went to pick up my meats, the skull was just sitting outside behind the shop on some cardboard boxes, looked like it had been back there for months. I was not super happy.
Why would you not remove head before dropping at meat cutter? Take a few minutes at most.

The box from the taxidermist was waiting for me when I returned home this evening after a week of grouse hunting in the North Maine Woods.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Far beyond what I could have done, makes me thankful that I put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Small by most folks standards (63 4/8) but I like it for my first.View attachment 298534
The teeth should have been cleaned better. Doesn't look like he popped out the ear canals. That can speed things up a lot.

Great to know.
For comparison.
20230919_224951.jpg
20231023_225412.jpg
I note that this last shipment of skulls from Africa did not have the ear canals popped out. Removing those makes it much easier to clean brain from skull cavity. Brain retains a LOT of grease that will stain the bone.

For comparison.
View attachment 298696
View attachment 298697
I note that this last shipment of skulls from Africa did not have the ear canals popped out. Removing those makes it much easier to clean brain from skull cavity. Brain retains a LOT of grease that will stain the bone.
I appreciate it.
It'll probably be fine until I die and someone throws it in the trash.

I appreciate it.
It'll probably be fine until I die and someone throws it in the trash.
Right. I learned a long time ago not to think that far ahead. Wastes too much money on sleep aids that I could be spending on hunting.

Why would you not remove head before dropping at meat cutter? Take a few minutes at most.
Exactly why I said, because they said it makes it easier for them to have the head on when processing and I was trying to be a nice guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back