Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Womens clothing

warmer

I and my wife are heading to CO for OTC archery elk hunt in Sept. I am hunting, she is hiking, sight seeing and maybe, calling a bull in for me. Here's the problem: she has never been to the mountains and I have absolutely no clothing for her to hunt/hike/stay warm in. This maybe a one and done deal or (hopefully) a annual event. So the first time out I want her comfortable but don't want to drop $1000 on camo. What do your wives wear in the mountains? Can I get warm clothes that don't cost $1000?

Really starting from scratch here and would like some advice. Thanks.

Forgot some details. 8-9000' . Hunting last week of Sept.(last week of season)

Honestly, there is very little in the camo world that is designed for women and will perform very well. You might want to think about getting her some clothes from the Mountaineering market. They are better performance and can be used for other purposes other than this hunt.

Camo is often an overstated worry. Movement and outlines are the biggest enemy, even when wearing camo. If she is back a ways and calling, odds are she doesn't need any camo.

Just a thought.

If camo is a concern, you could always follow Big Fins advice on the clothing and throw a extra large camo tshirt over the other clothes. Cotton tshirt would be fairly quiet and she would still have the warm clothes underneath.

First Lite has a womens line of clothing this year finally...check them out. That's what I got for my daughter...but in mens, before they had womens...and she loves it, comfortable and warm! Merino crew, Merino Hoodie, Puffy jacket, Merino hat, Merino gaitor, Merino gloves...and she'll be nice and warm...and comfortable! I think they have pants too...but have not gotten those yet.

I'd hit up the used market on Ebay or sale racks at REI or similar for womens hiking/backpacking gear. The women's hunting clothing market is terribly underserved (though that's changing) so you'll have a far bigger selection of gear in the hiking/backpacking clothing lines.

I just had my wife at Cabelas and was pleased with what they had. I think they call it "outfither". It seemed to be of good quality but more importantly the fit was good. My wife tells me that men's clothing doesn't work because the hips are to narrow in pants and jacket bottoms. She was able to get her stuff to fit without feeling bad about herself. Good luck, also I agree with Big Fin with what he said about hiking and mountaineering clothes.

Last edited:
I outfitted three of my daughters without the advice from above, but it is all sound advice. I went with the larger outer layer that could be passed down as they grew and then a couple of clearance racked mid-layer stuff, and then camo polypropylene in the event it got hot and as the base layer. I stayed well shy of $1K until I bought good boots...but they are still wearing them and don't get cold feet.

Good luck and hope she hunts with you for a long time.

Honestly, there is very little in the camo world that is designed for women and will perform very well. You might want to think about getting her some clothes from the Mountaineering market. They are better performance and can be used for other purposes other than this hunt.

Camo is often an overstated worry. Movement and outlines are the biggest enemy, even when wearing camo. If she is back a ways and calling, odds are she doesn't need any camo.

Just a thought.
+1 Take her to REI and not Cabelas. It may not be camo, but she'll be able to find plenty that will work well, and in most cases better, in earth tones that she'll like. If she's anything like my wife, "cute" clothes are easier to spend money on.

Being from South Dakota, you might already have some of this covered, but for her comfort I would start with the basics. Merino baselayer, a good warm hat and gloves, and plenty of padded wool socks. Keep her core, head, hands, and feet warm, and she'll be a much happier camper.

Look into CoolMax liner socks. They're great at wicking moisture away from the feet, which helps in both the cold and the heat, and for anybody that's prone to blisters they're a godsend.

Also, a merino wool buff would be a great accessory for her. Worn around the neck they're great for warmth-- helps a lot with heat loss from your top layer, and seals out the wind. And she can roll it up like a headband to keep her ears warm or to help keep her hair under control. You don't want her having a bad hairday when it's time to take your trophy pics.

And I can't believe that I'm about to go here-- super strange topic to bring up on Hunt Talk-- but make sure she has a really comfortable athletic/sports bra. Us guys might like the idea of our ladies rocking the Victoria's Secret, but she's not going to be comfortable, and you're going to have a hard time concentrating on what you're actually supposed to be hunting.

Bottom line-- make sure all of the little detail pieces are well covered. For raingear, pants and shirts, go with whatever quality stuff she's comfortable wearing, in the most neutral colors you can find.

Have a great hunt.

I'd skip the camo option all together as most of the options are ill fitting and women don't care for the fit (at least the opinion from my wife).

I'd explore options for a layering system with merino wool base layers, a good insulation layer from the likes of Patagonia and then a shell jacket over the top.

Base layers - Icebreaker, Smartwool, REI brand, etc. You can find this stuff online at discounts often times, especially this time of year.

Insulation/Shell layers - Patagonia, Marmot, Columbia/Mountain Hardware, etc.

REI, Backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post, etc. Try google searching Patagonia discounts as well.

Look good, feel good. Feel good, hunt good.

I'd skip the camo option all together as most of the options are ill fitting and women don't care for the fit (at least the opinion from my wife).

I'd explore options for a layering system with merino wool base layers, a good insulation layer from the likes of Patagonia and then a shell jacket over the top.

Base layers - Icebreaker, Smartwool, REI brand, etc. You can find this stuff online at discounts often times, especially this time of year.

Insulation/Shell layers - Patagonia, Marmot, Columbia/Mountain Hardware, etc.

REI, Backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post, etc. Try google searching Patagonia discounts as well.

Look good, feel good. Feel good, hunt good.

This.

My wife has a couple articles of camo clothing. I can count on two fingers the number of times she's worn them in the last 10 years. She wears her REI / Columbia / MH / Merino / Patagonia stuff outside all the time, including while accompanying me on hunts.

Good camo clothing and good outdoor clothing ain't cheap. If you're going to spend the money on it, might as well go with something they'll wear often. If they can wear the same items while camping, hiking, canoeing, hunting, fishing, etc - great! Much better than spending $$ on something that might get worn once every couple years.

First lite stuff is basically the only stuff my wife has found to fit and function well. Most of the other stuff is "pink'd" and fairs poorly at anything other than posing for pictures (especially here in Alaska). She is an XS and most brands don't go below a size small which in hunting terminology is a size 4-5 and makes her look like she's wearing a camo burka. Prior to the stuff from first lite she wore skiing/mountaineering stuff (mountain hardware, Patagonia, arcteryx,) and still uses her arcteryx rain gear when the weather gets AK nasty. I made some custom camo for her from a pair of Patagonia soft shell pants using some tree stencils and spray paint. Here's a pic of some convertible zip off pants I "camo'd" for a sheep hunt a couple years back. Her's were basically the same. 10551460_10203449914825017_996796407135296509_o.jpg

I heartily recommend First Lite as well. Super light but very warm merino wool. I have the long underwear, quite a few "boy short" undies, and long undershirt and the hoodie. I love Marmot Scree pants-lightweight and stretchy. I gave up on women's camo. I bugged Sitka for a couple of years and believe they are really stupid for not making women's clothes. I gave up and tried some on, and it fit me except the sleeves are too long. That's okay because the sleeves are snug and don't slide down. I just love the cargo pockets, stretchiness, and functionality of Sitka. I digress! Go with good hiking pants in a granite or olive green, get her a poly camo shirt that dries fast from Walmart or some other place. Put the money in the pants and wool base layer. Cool thing about the wool base layer is they don't hold odor and can be worn several days no prob.

Honestly, I am a sell out and live at Cabelas (I also used to work there at the gun counter). The one thing you MUST get her - a fleece face mask (outfither line). I ain't going to lie - it is NOT cheap. :)

PS - I can fit into Youth Sizes as well, works out since I am only 5'2.

Good Luck!
Jen

She brand women's camo is horrible. Their sizing SUCKS and is in no way contoured for women. My wife is 5'6" and 130 pounds and the coat that fit her the best was a 2X. What kind of crap is that? I will agree with everyone else about the women's market being terribly under served and it's stupid since women are the quickest growing segment of the hunting industry.

My go to for women's gear is a mix of Cabela's Outfit Her and the women's line from Field & Stream. My biggest piece of advice is focus on your under layers. No joking, my favorite is Cuddle Duds. Both the silky and the fleece.

Back