Women Representation

100% people need to get over the makeup thing. Some dudes are clearly going to the barber once a week no one is commenting on their perfect fade.

I dont want to move the thread away from the original intent but I did want to respond to your earlier post today in regards to huntress or hunter---etc.

I dont disagree with you but wanted to mention that it doesn't bother me to be called a huntress or a hunter. If I was a stewardess, it would not upset me if someone called me that instead of a flight attendant. It would not bother me to be referred to as a waitress and not a server. I still dont understand how being an actress is somehow worse than being an actor, except that one is female and one is male-----which they are !

Yes some occupations do not differentiate . Doctor, Pilot, Producer. Teacher, etc and that dont bother me either.

I feel women spend to much time trying to be something they are not --male ! Some women dont seem to understand that we can not stand up to pee, so dont fight it for crying out loud. Men can't give birth and I dont know any that wish they could. We are what we are.

As far as the make up thing goes, if you want to wear it, wear it, I could care less as long as it doesn't interfere with a hunt that I am part of.

April. If they take away our hunting rights, I will check with Cosmo and see if they are looking for someone ;)

Vanish--good point!

I liked the article Hunting Wife posted better as well. But to try and clarify my point, they came from a little different perspective. One was from a food critic on her first tag-a-long the other was from a somewhat experienced hunter.....I just realized I used the word "hunter" for the lady in the second article....I am happy that I did. I just thought of her as someone who had hunted before, but didn't have a lot of hunting experience. Gender really didn't play into it and that is the key for me.

If the term used was huntermen, I would personally be a little more comfortable with huntress. But "hunter" is generic and there is no need to point out gender in my opinion. If women want to be called huntresses, fine by me, that is okay too, but I don't want to presume.

I will say this, I really like hearing the perspectives of women hunters on all things hunting as I am raising a daughter who hunts and I want her to have the best experience possible. So if I can learn a few things here, that will help me in mentoring her along the way.

Back to article #1. Totally agree that the article, as written, won't fly really well with seasoned hunters. I did however, think of her target audience, which I think were urbanites who have no exposure to hunting. She needs to connect with them using their language. Looking for opinions here, but I don't know if the second article would be as well received by that audience as the first. We certainly liked that one better, but really think of that ladies target audience. Which catches their interest enough to read to the end of the article? What do you think?

Back to article #1. Totally agree that the article, as written, won't fly really well with seasoned hunters. I did however, think of her target audience, which I think were urbanites who have no exposure to hunting. She needs to connect with them using their language. Looking for opinions here, but I don't know if the second article would be as well received by that audience as the first. We certainly liked that one better, but really think of that ladies target audience. Which catches their interest enough to read to the end of the article? What do you think?
Bingo, you hit it exactly. Its all about your audience and this case, the article was posted and featured in a non-hunting magazine. How many hunters do you think subscribe to that magazine? I'm guessing its probably a bit more than the national average of 5% as many hunters also hike, camp, etc. (which are common topics for this magazine) but her target audience for the vast majority of readers aren't the type of people that are typically found on this forum. Its apples and oranges and how we view the article is entirely different than its viewership.

@wllm1313 to some degree yes. Certainly could have been worse. But any caricature is not necessarily a good thing. If I was hiring someone to write the article, I might have went elsewhere. But all things considered, it painted hunting in a pretty positive light. certainly thought provoking!

I guess I would point out the second article was from O Magazine...as in Oprah. Audience also being mainly urbanites with no exposure to hunting, and likely less exposure to the outdoors in general than the audience of Outside. But probably older.

I think @wllm1313 made a couple of good points. It’s the superficiality, the fakeness, that rubs me wrong. Hunting is the most “real” thing I do. Yes, it’s fun and all, but I take it pretty seriously. There’s hard work, and pain, and downright despair sometimes. Then there’s elation, and self-sufficiency, and confidence. But that all gets buried under a bunch of fluff about hair, makeup and clothes. Wear it, don’t wear it, whatever. You do you...that’s not the point. The point is why does any of that even warrant a mention in the first place? WTF does any of that have to do with hunting? Although someone else made a fair point too...it was supposedly about this trendy Instagram subculture. But I sure don’t feel like it did any favors for female hunters who just want to be taken seriously.

Ironically, I do see the article getting quite a bit of backlash over on Instagram too.
I appreciate the discussion on this. Interesting to see other perspectives.

The title of the article wasn't "Women Hunters", it was "Instagram's Most Fascinating Subculture? Women Hunters" so I tried to read the article from that perspective. It wasn't so bad then. Anyone with the desire to be "Insta-famous" is going to be vain, Male or female.

Actually thought the latter half, describing how hunting can hook a person, was decent. However, I suspect the author has read a romance novel or three.
My understanding is the author generally doesn't choose the title an editor does. They are almost always chosen after the piece has been written, and therefore aren't always the best depiction of the writer's intent or theme. But point taken.

Last edited:
I guess I would point out the second article was from O Magazine...as in Oprah. Audience also being mainly urbanites with no exposure to hunting, and likely less exposure to the outdoors in general than the audience of Outside. But probably older.

I think @wllm1313 made a couple of good points. It’s the superficiality, the fakeness, that rubs me wrong. Hunting is the most “real” thing I do. Yes, it’s fun and all, but I take it pretty seriously. There’s hard work, and pain, and downright despair sometimes. Then there’s elation, and self-sufficiency, and confidence. But that all gets buried under a bunch of fluff about hair, makeup and clothes. Wear it, don’t wear it, whatever. You do you...that’s not the point. The point is why does any of that even warrant a mention in the first place? WTF does any of that have to do with hunting? Although someone else made a fair point too...it was supposedly about this trendy Instagram subculture. But I sure don’t feel like it did any favors for female hunters who just want to be taken seriously.

Ironically, I do see the article getting quite a bit of backlash over on Instagram too.

That is exactly the fluff that didn't need to be there and detracted from the article for me and probably all serious hunters. Should someone tag along with me on my archery elk hunt, I sure hope they don't mention my grooming habits after 6 or 7 days or...ahem....smell!

I agree-------------

What they did or do is none my business, but I will not be hunting with them. I dont know them personally so to be honest what I am about to say is not really fair. But if I was back in Texas, I am sure someone might say " All hat and no cattle"

I also believe they will catch a bit more grief from those who follow them on Instagram and Facebook than they did here .

Hunting wife could you arrange for a Stone sheep hunt for all of us girls and then after the hunt write up a report on your experience about hunting with a group of women for a week with no make up. Let me thank you in advance and pm me an address where I can send my two hundred dollars to cover my share of the trip expenses, for this hunt. Thanks ;)

I agree-------------

What they did or do is none my business, but I will not be hunting with them. I dont know them personally so to be honest what I am about to say is not really fair. But if I was back in Texas, I am sure someone might say " All hat and no cattle"

I also believe they will catch a bit more grief from those who follow them on Instagram and Facebook than they did here .

Hunting wife could you arrange for a Stone sheep hunt for all of us girls and then after the hunt write up a report on your experience about hunting with a group of women for a week with no make up. Let me thank you in advance and pm me an address where I can send my two hundred dollars to cover my share of the trip expenses, for this hunt. Thanks ;)
Oh, how I wish I could. Sheep is the absolute top of my bucket list but I don’t think I’ll ever have the points or means to pull it off. If I did though, you’re so invited! 😂

That is exactly the fluff that didn't need to be there and detracted from the article for me and probably all serious hunters. Should someone tag along with me on my archery elk hunt, I sure hope they don't mention my grooming habits after 6 or 7 days or...ahem....smell!
I’m still waiting for an article on the beard oil preferred by rugged mountain men as they survey their prey from the top of a chiseled peak. If they have hair, I imagine it dances in the wild wind.

And I’ll confess, I don’t smell like flowers after 6 or 7 days either 🤣

On issues that don't really effect me personally one way or the other, I look to the closest person to me that it does effect, and take my cues from them. I showed the article to my wife, who hated it.

Also, through the Hunt Talk podcast, I was introduced to a badass hunter, Nicole Qualtieri. She had a scathing review of the article on her Instagram stories, and also provided a link to an article she wrote almost a year and a half ago - stating something to the effect of "I could write a rebuttal, but I already did 18 months ago..."

https://gearjunkie.com/women-hunting-stereotypes

Wifey like NKQ's take a lot more... so I do.

pup and suds.
giphy.gif

I found it hard to get past the "huntstagram" reference. I guess it's all about how many "likes" they can get on social media.
I think this article is a dis-service to actual woman hunters. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

I passed the first article on to my daughter for her opinion. As a young women that is full blown into ALL of today's social media, I respect her views.

Here is her response:

" I'm reading this far too late at night, but I loved this article! I love the idea of breaking the stereotype of hunting being this macho, masculine, politically conservative sport. Because in reality, hunting is simply an activity. One that's actually sustainable, eco/environmentally friendly, and the ultimate know-where-your-food-comes-from, field-to-table activity. Hunting is what you make of it, and I've always admired and respected how ethical you are as a hunter! That's how it should be!! And I honestly think having more women in the backcountry will help promote that ideology ❤ if hunting was seen as cunning, skillful, tough AND seen with compassion, empathy, and respect for the animal (which obviously aren't strictly masculine and feminine) people might actually become more ethical hunters and have a better understanding of what hunting is actually all about - what you make of it. "

As you can see, she did not come up with the objections that have ruffled the feathers mentioned in this thread! People of both sexes see things differently! These views are steered by our life's experiences and the environment that surrounds us. Today's social media culture, and the marketing that ensued, has changed the way people view the world. If the first article steers it's intended audience to see hunting in a more favorable light, well, that's a win in my book!

The female "Hunters" here, as well as my wife, frowned upon the portrayal that the first article projected....but....then again, as with my daughter, others have looked past the fluff.

Ben, I love the old photo! In my family, wild game has always been our preferred protein! The only thing that has been given up is grandma's rendered bear fat baked goods and pie crusts.

@Backofbeyond,,,My wife agrees!

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back