Wolves in sheep clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEKMu7ooJFs

Environmental and left-wing foundations have poured millions into “sportsmen,” “hunting,” and “angling” groups, using them as cover to push their pet causes.

At a Glance
Environmentalist activism is the name of the game at BHA, and hunters and anglers are just the camouflage. BHA has received hundreds of thousands of dollars from environmentalist groups, and BHA executive director Land Tawney has a history of liberal election activism.

Background
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA) represents itself as good-ole-boy outdoorsmen who simply want to hunt and fish and be left alone. But don’t be fooled. As evidenced by both its sources of funding and current leadership, BHA is nothing more than a big green activist organization pushing a radical environmentalist agenda.

Funding
When looking at BHA’s funding sources, it’s easy to forget they have anything to do with hunting and fishing at all. All of its primary donors have extensive ties to environmental activist organizations.

The largest donor is the Western Conservation Foundation, which gave $278,423 to BHA in 2011 and 2012 alone. WCF has given handsomely over the years to notorious environmentalists and animal rights activists, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Audubon Society, Earthjustice (the self-proclaimed “law firm of the environment”), and Climate Solutions, a major proponent of “global warming.” It has also contributed large sums to the Tides Center, funder of all things leftist. It’s hard to imagine Western Conservation Foundation would donate over a quarter of a million dollars to Backcountry Hunters and Anglers if it wasn’t an organization that shared those same ideological beliefs.

The next largest donor to BHA is the Wilburforce Foundation. From 2009 to 2013, Wilburforce gave a total of $110,000 to BHA for a variety of purposes. As with the Western Conservation Foundation, Wilburforce gives heavily to other notorious environmentalists, including the Environmental Law Institute, the Sierra Foundation, and the Union of Concerned Scientists. Wilburforce’s executive director, Tim Greyhavens, previously worked for the Humane Society of the United States, a vegan activist organization with a PETA-like agenda. BHA also received a $69,000 donation in 2012 from Pew Charitable Trusts, which is famous for its ideological tilt. Other donors include the New Venture Fund ($30,000 total), Conservation Lands Foundation ($26,000 total), Lazar Foundation ($25,000 total), and The Brainerd Foundation ($8,000 total), whose mission is “to safeguard the environment and build broad citizen support for environmental protection.” As with WCF and Wilburforce, each of these organizations have deep connections with the environmental movement, which raises suspicions as to what BHA’s motivations truly are.

BHA Leadership
Not only do BHA’s primary donors have extensive ties to the environmentalist movement, but its leadership does as well. A number of top executives and board members currently work or previously worked for notorious environmental activists.

Most prominent is BHA executive director Land Tawney, who ran the liberal political action committee (PAC) calling itself the “Montana Hunters and Anglers Leadership Fund” (MHA). In 2012, this pop-up PAC spent $1.1 million against Republican U.S. Senate candidate Denny Rehberg, who was challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester. The liberal MHA also spent $500,000 in support of the libertarian candidate as a strategy of drawing votes away from the Republican. MHA received several hundred thousand dollars from the League of Conservation Voters, a liberal environmentalist group. Tawney is also a member of the Montana Sportsmen for Obama Committee and previously served as the National Grassroots Coordinator for the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, which, like BHA, is an environmentalist front that poses as a hunter and fisher group.

Taken together, BHA’s funding sources and leadership make clear that the interests of hunters and anglers are the least of their concerns. Environmentalist activism is the name of the game at BHA, and hunters and anglers are just the facade.

Is this the left wing of the hunting world?

No, just the fact that most folks here are smart enough to see through the obfuscation and bullshit that is portrayed by the green decoy folks.

123456789- "Zero" Thank-you for joining our forum and giving us a heads up about these vicious wolves in sheep's clothing. Land Tawney seemed like a nice enough guy when he joined our bear camp last spring. Who could have forseen that when he and Grant Alban hunted together in a spot I suggested they might find a bear, they would use that opportunity to survey the mountains and dream up ways to "fleece" us "real hunters" out of opportunities to enjoy our public lands for generations to come. (Get it, "fleece" us, it's a pun. I really crack myself up.) Ha, Ha.

No really, I mean it when I say we on this board had no idea of BHA's radical left-wing environmental connections. I bet one of their pet projects could even include protecting vast tracts of roadless land from being utilized and exploited (gently of course) by our friendly neighborhood petroleum conglomerate. I bet I'm not too far out on a limb if I guessed another of their pet projects is opposing the turnover of federal lands to state management as spearheaded by my very own local representative.
Again, thank-you for alerting us to this danger and I sincerely hope you will stay active on this forum to keep us educated. You deserve every penny that Richard Berman, the CEO of Berman and Company Consulting pays you. Please feel free to join myself and some of the local real hunters this spring as we hunt our public lands for black bears. The grizzly threat in the country we hunt is really overated so you don't need to worry about encountering any of them where we hunt. In fact, to make sure you are safe on our backpacking trip into the wilderness, we'll let you wear the only pair of bacon pants in the group. We hope you'll join us soon.

123456789- "Zero" Thank-you for joining our forum and giving us a heads up about these vicious wolves in sheep's clothing. Land Tawney seemed like a nice enough guy when he joined our bear camp last spring. Who could have forseen that when he and Grant Alban hunted together in a spot I suggested they might find a bear, they would use that opportunity to survey the mountains and dream up ways to "fleece" us "real hunters" out of opportunities to enjoy our public lands for generations to come. (Get it, "fleece" us, it's a pun. I really crack myself up.) Ha, Ha.

No really, I mean it when I say we on this board had no idea of BHA's radical left-wing environmental connections. I bet one of their pet projects could even include protecting vast tracts of roadless land from being utilized and exploited (gently of course) by our friendly neighborhood petroleum conglomerate. I bet I'm not too far out on a limb if I guessed another of their pet projects is opposing the turnover of federal lands to state management as spearheaded by my very own local representative.
Again, thank-you for alerting us to this danger and I sincerely hope you will stay active on this forum to keep us educated. You deserve every penny that Richard Berman, the CEO of Berman and Company Consulting pays you. Please feel free to join myself and some of the local real hunters this spring as we hunt our public lands for black bears. The grizzly threat in the country we hunt is really overated so you don't need to worry about encountering any of them where we hunt. In fact, to make sure you are safe on our backpacking trip into the wilderness, we'll let you wear the only pair of bacon pants in the group. We hope you'll join us soon.

Yep it is always a vast Right Wing conspiracy any time someone shines a light on left! So predictable!!

Hey Will Coggins, notice that Ben Lamb and myself are happy to be identified by our real names. For the sake of transparancy, why don't you post your name up here and who you work for.

Please do stick around on this forum. You might learn a little bit about how real hunters and fishermen feel about the people you represent and what your intentions are. You might even get a few tips on how to hunt or fish yourself. :)

I know no one associated in anyway with green decoy. I have never heard of site until today. I have seen propaganda come the BHA crowd on other forums and did my own homework.

And then signed up here to spread the gospel?

I call baloney. Maybe you're Will Coggin, the guy who thinks we need fewer drunk driving laws and more teen smokers.

Last edited:
Oh boy!! If I wasn't getting up at 3:30 tomorrow morning to go fishing, I'd be grabbing a big bowl of popcorn right now!!

And the. Signed up here to spread the gospel?

I call baloney. Maybe you're Will Coggin, the guy who thinks we need fewer drunk driving laws and more teen smokers.

Why does the left always try to vilify those with a different view as a tactic. Instead of addressing the topic at hand?

Guess I should have titled thread wolf in "Lamb" clothing!

Yep it is always a vast Right Wing conspiracy any time someone shines a light on left! So predictable!!

You know, I doubt there is anyone on this board who had a more conservative political outlook than myself even though I'm not active politically. It wasn't until the Republicans of this state took trashing Sportsmen's rights and unprincipled trampling of the public trust as it relates to wildlife management to a new level, that I was even open to hear a Democrat's viewpoint.

Why does the left always try to vilify those with a different view as a tactic. Instead of addressing the topic at hand?

Guess I should have titled thread wolf in "Lamb" clothing!

I'm not villifying anyone. You are. You cut and pasted the same press release that the oil & gas industry attack dogs put out.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back