Caribou Gear

Wolves Have Been Released

Personally I'm fine with the voters deciding. Agreed they don't have to interact with them if they don't want to, but it's not my place to decide who vote on an issue like this, ya know?

Like I don't go to school or interact with the school, but if I have the chance to vote on school expansion I will. Just cause I won't use it doesn't mean I don't get a say
except that logic is flawed. I live in JeffCo, but I cannot vote for representatives or school expansion in Park County or Denver County. Education is also a tough example because education is a universal net benefit to a place. For example, in 2013 or 2014 we had a statewide vote to stop paying teachers so poorly - that was an easy yes, even though I was voting for that change to happen in multiple counties. Better paid teachers should lead to better education, mentoring and raising of our children, etc etc

I don't have an issues with wolves as beings, my issue is that the vote literally drew a line in the state and said "over there" and was voted for primarily by the people on the OTHER side of that line. It also wasn't based on science.

In the end, they are here and all we can do is be better when the next vote like this comes around... which looks to be 2024 with the mountain lion ban. We must learn from our mistakes, not take the "#*^@#* you non hunters" approach and get super aggressive and instead present level headed arguments and facts. We'll see if we have learned anything

Where was the information exactly where it happened? Do you have a citing or link to it? That area is my current stomping grounds. Thanks
There are only forum/app posts with secondhand information. There will not be an official statement from the agency beyond 'Grand County'. Someone will almost certainly match the background of the still photos/screen captures of the release site with a landscape but even that probably wont be definitive unless they left some metadata in a photo somewhere. As I said in the other thread, that location meets a lot of the criteria and very well may be accurate, but there's nothing concrete.

Either way, now that the rumor is in the public conciousness, I'll be putting orange vests on my nephew's Bernese when we are floating the river.

Someone posted on another site that CPW released two more yesterday somewhere between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Reservoir.
There are going to be dozens of these types of 'reports' in the next weeks.

I always find it interesting that so many hunters who claim to value conservation of the land and wild things are able to justify that we should only conserve certain wild things that they personally enjoy.

Shouldn't it be all of nature, predator and prey? Land and animals? Fish and watershed? Etc. Not just what we enjoy hunting personally?
IMO, us, "hunters" have experienced the shitty manner predators are regulated.
Heck, Tester, a Democrat and Simpson, a Republican had to sneak a package through to give Idaho, Montana, and... Wyoming the ability to State regulate wolves.
Tester took the most heat by eco enviro groups such as the Center for BS Diversity merely because he is a Democrat.

The influence of international eco enviro $$$ funding assaults every manner of human involvement in the cycle of life. Hunting is our heritage, we are the leading support of conservation for our animals.

"Conservation" is perverted by eco enviros from lobbyists to litigation and leaches into politics... And if that isn't working ballot box biology for the loss of not only the State but this one State's 0.91% decision screws it's neighboring States.

Instead of being on the defense all the time. When will Colorado hunters and pro hunting groups put together a ballot initiative to restore spring bear seasons in Colorado? Where is the support for a ballot initiative to restore foothold traps and snares in Colorado? Make the anti-hunting groups waste their money fighting our initiatives instead of planning their next move.

Instead of being on the defense all the time. When will Colorado hunters and pro hunting groups put together a ballot initiative to restore spring bear seasons in Colorado? Where is the support for a ballot initiative to restore foothold traps and snares in Colorado? Make the anti-hunting groups waste their money fighting our initiatives instead of planning their next move.
Those things cost hunters and pro hunting groups money. Is that a good use of limited resources?

Question for everyone:
How are the groups we are “fighting” so well-funded?

I always find it interesting that so many hunters who claim to value conservation of the land and wild things are able to justify that we should only conserve certain wild things that they personally enjoy.

Shouldn't it be all of nature, predator and prey? Land and animals? Fish and watershed? Etc. Not just what we enjoy hunting personally?
Agreed, I just think it is a bad precedent to have this done through a ballot initiative. It may be a headache for ranchers and perhaps locally there will be some reductions in elk herds. Given what some herds are already up against- winter range development, year round recreation, vehicle collisions, new trail development, I wonder if wolves could be the straw that breaks the camels back (thinking Vail valley/Roaring Fork valley here mostly)?

Unfortunately, I have come to see the wolf as a sign of controversy and bad actors. They're such a cool animal and the fact that they have become a political football is pretty brutal.

Needless to say, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out of Colorado.

Then where is Ted Nugent?

i mean, it was a joke but also serious.

the anti hunting groups are well funded because they have a pretty simple and very emotionally appealing message that the masses take in extremely well. what is the nuance behind their message? it's usually pretty ambiguous. keep it simple and keep it sounding really good.

"saving life on earth"; "give comfort and joy"; "animal protection and welfare". cold hungry baby kitties with sarah maclachan bringing in the tearful serenade in the background. i mean, basically only sadists can disagree with those statements. i think even hunters largely would agree with many of the groups we would consider anti hunting groups one sentenced public facing missions. but under the hood it's ambiguous, potentially saturated with falsehoods and is, from our perspective, devious. but the masses see a pretty feel good mission driven statement that is nearly impossible to disagree with.

we're at a tremendous disadvantage because before we even get our message out, we're the ones shooting things and we have literal centuries of bad image to overcome.

so, i dunno, how do we simplify and unify our message to garner support? how do we make it more appealing and penetrating across society? how do we unify our own ranks in an effort to generate money to fight?

i really don't know.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if in 20 years there are big concentrations of elk on the pivots on private in the valleys and few if any elk left in the mountains.
Idaho has had wolves almost 30 years and that is not the case with elk here. There are pockets that the wolves have decimated and then other wolf areas with elk over objectives. The elk are going to get their asses kicked for a few years and then they’ll figure out how to live with wolves.

The biggest problem for elk are weather and over harvest by humans.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 28
OK, insert your favorite wealthy, conservative musician. I hear about how well-funded the other side is and how it is impossible to beat them. I guess there are no wealthy conservatives on our side with a vested interest in wolves not being re-introduced or mountain lion hunting not being banned? All the wealthy folks are liberals, I guess. 🤷🏽‍♂️

OK, insert your favorite wealthy, conservative musician. I hear about how well-funded the other side is and how it is impossible to beat them. I guess there are no wealthy conservatives on our side with a vested interest in wolves not being re-introduced or mountain lion hunting not being banned? All the wealthy folks are liberals, I guess. 🤷🏽‍♂️

my point had nothing to do with wealthy musicians providing money. see above.

Reactions: Oak
Well, you know what the ranchers will do, I sure don't blame them. If I'm in country, I'll shoot cause I'm thinking it's coming to eat me.
That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. Just you saying "If I'm in country, I'll shoot cause I'm thinking it's coming to eat me." tells me you should take a good hard look in the mirror.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back