NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Wolf shot by hiker on Rathdrum Mountain

theRedneck

Right, so he's all alone in the woods and says it was getting ready to attack...hmm....sounds kinda fishy. Would have been better off to just ditch it and not say anything or call the DNR right away and tell them it was about to attack so I shot it.

I guess a nice hefty fine and no pelt will get him thinking.

Does seem a little sketchy......Looks like he may have gone back to town for a tag and someone to take his photo.

I don't doubt his story is legit, but If you need to have protection with you...have a tag with you. It is cheap insurance.

I think he would have been fine if you wouldn't have bought the tag. That's what makes the story fishy. And I don't think there harassing they just doing there job. Would love to hear the other side of the story.

Does sounf a bit fishy. Who goes out walking the dogs in a foot of snow through the forest. Then has a wolf "getting ready to attack". Was the wolf loading up it's teeth? Then after shooting it takes the time to pose for a picture? Where are the dogs? Most animals don't "drop in their tracks" with a heart shot.
I think he's full of ****!

. Who goes out walking the dogs in a foot of snow through the forest.
You do realize that most of Idaho is covered with a foot of snow and forested right?
I do miss the days when I could walk my dogs through the woods without fear of a wolf coming in. Now a guy had better keep um close and bring the pain!
Although you obviously need to know the law to do so. Resident woof tags are cheep, if you're out there with a gun and bait you might as well have a tag.

You do realize that most of Idaho is covered with a foot of snow and forested right?
I do miss the days when I could walk my dogs through the woods without fear of a wolf coming in. Now a guy had better keep um close and bring the pain!
Although you obviously need to know the law to do so. Resident woof tags are cheep, if you're out there with a gun and bait you might as well have a tag.

Yea, pretty much everybody up here is out playing in the snow, walking, riding, sledding, etc...

I always carry a side arm while out but in all honesty folks with dogs would probably be better off carrying cable cutters. I've read about 1 almost wolf vs dog incident and 6 or 7 dog vs traps (cable snares, leg holds and unfortunately conibears).

I was snowshoeing yesterday looking for sheds and found this. Having finished off the elk, the wolves are obviously decimating the rest of the ungulate populations. :D
20150116_115601.jpg

Taking a walk with the dogs? No problem. Logging roads? Good stuff. My wife and I take our two dogs out watching them wear out hoofing around through the snow. She has her 9mm, I have my .45.

I don't care if the guy opts to carry a .50 BFG while taking his dogs for a daily walk - His choice as it is ours. Not going to critique a legal gun owner...

I do however agree with this statement;

Phil Cooper, a spokesman for Fish and Game, said if someone shoots an animal in self defense — before a tag is purchased — they aren’t permitted to then go and get a tag to keep the animal. Even, he said, in cases where an investigation shows the shooting was justified.

A retired Navy Officer should know to first contact F&G before running off to buy a tag after the fact - regardless the excuse. Least that is my valued appreciation for our Military Officers conduct in the civilian world. ;)

Seems legit to me. One less wolf. Tag or not glad he shot it.

Many people have no regard for the animal. (Most haters) will never put any effort to hunt them.

If you ever get fortunate enough to take one, you will know what a special big game animal they are.

Taking them illegally is poaching. No different than any of our other big game animals.

Some great hunters consider them the most difficult of big game animals to harvest in North America.

Back