PEAX Equipment

Wolf relisting in a number of states

katqanna

I saw on the news feed last night a notice from the CBD that wolves in WY, and the Great Lakes states were relisted by the USFWS, but even going to the USFWS site or the Federal Register, I could find no confirmation of it until this morning. It is not just WY and the Great Lakes States that they are relisted as endangered.

The decision reinstates Federal protections that were in place prior to our 2011 delisting rule. Therefore, wolves in all of Wisconsin and Michigan, the eastern half of North Dakota and South Dakota, the northern half of Iowa, the northern portions of Illinois and Indiana, and the northwestern portion of Ohio are once again classified as endangered, and wolves in Minnesota are once again classified as threatened. The decision also reinstates the formerly designated critical habitat at 50 CFR 17.95(a) for gray wolves in Minnesota and Michigan and the regulations promulgated under section 4(d) of the ESA at 50 CFR 17.40(d) for the gray wolf in Minnesota. Thus, take of wolves in those areas may be authorized only by the section 4(d) rule for wolves in Minnesota or by a permit obtained under section 10 of the ESA.

Last edited:
Yup, they are relisted. You can't even shoot one if it is attacking and killing your dog right in front of your eyes. We have more wolves in Minnesota alone than in all the western states combined. I enjoy sharing the woods with them, but I enjoy it more when I have a wolf tag in my pocket. The fact that they are considered "endangered" is completely ridiculous and does a disservice to the other animals out there that really are endangered.

I don't hate wolves,just do not think they need to be in some of the places they have been reintroduced.

They will continue to keep relisting wolves where there are island populations of wolves.one must remember that there are no subspecies of wolves, their all the same. The law suits will never end?

Which ones? mtmuley

Being from Michigan ,I can see no reason they reinterduced wolves in the UP.They have put the hurts on and already stressed deer herd,our moose herd will never expand with wolves in there area.Pets and some livestock have been killed..Hunters have lost hunting dogs to wolves.When the UP hunting is gone so will a lot of the small businesses that depended on hunters migrating to the area in the fall. To me it was just a bad decision all away around,but that is just my view.
I do know for the present ,there nothing going to change.

Last edited:
call it what you want but I have lived here all my life and until about 10 years ago I never seen a wolf heard a wolf or seen any wolf tracks and now we see them and hear them all the time.they are not the only reason our deer herd is depressed but they're part of the problem along with habitat and the severe winter kills.I still think they need a regulated hunt.

Last edited:
Mtmuley that is a great question. After ruminating on that I think my answer is Alaska and Canada and maybe Chicago. 😜. If we could keep them in Yellowstone then I would say there too. Maybe another place or two. But not many. That is my opinion only and I would expect others to have differing opinions. Personally, I don't mind not seeing them or hearing them. Is it kinda cool? Sure. But not at the expense of the moose herd in Mn and other big game herds across the Rockies. The MN DNR studies have shown wolves to be the biggest killer of moose calves where I believe it was 75% of the calves did not make it to September because they were killed by wolves. Add in some additional mortality and there is a moose problem. They are unequivocally the biggest cause of moose mortality but it isn't getting publicized very much. I will think on your question some more. How about you?

Mtmuley that is a great question. After ruminating on that I think my answer is Alaska and Canada and maybe Chicago. 😜. If we could keep them in Yellowstone then I would say there too. Maybe another place or two. But not many. That is my opinion only and I would expect others to have differing opinions. Personally, I don't mind not seeing them or hearing them. Is it kinda cool? Sure. But not at the expense of the moose herd in Mn and other big game herds across the Rockies. The MN DNR studies have shown wolves to be the biggest killer of moose calves where I believe it was 75% of the calves did not make it to September because they were killed by wolves. Add in some additional mortality and there is a moose problem. They are unequivocally the biggest cause of moose mortality but it isn't getting publicized very much. I will think on your question some more. How about you?

There is no doubt that they need to be managed. I'm with you 100%. There's a ratio of wolves per 1000 head of ungulates that needs to be managed too or your prey base suffers greatly.

You guys just have wolves, and black bear. Try adding in an uncontrolled Grizzly population, high mountain lion populations then the regular coyotes, black bear, and, and see if can raise anything.

Until you can harvest the wolves, make sure your Game and Fish don't over hunt those deer in the wolf zones.

Right now, in Minnesota, I think our main concern needs to be the moose. It will be a sad day if/when they disappear from the state. We need to the wolves delisted and have an unlimited hunt for them in the moose zone. Obviously there are other factors involved in the population decline, but I think we need to thin out the wolves if we want them to have a fighting chance. Unfortunately, even that may not be enough.

Sadly I think it's too late for the moose in minnesota... Especially now

When did the first wolves arrive in Minnesota? mtmuley

They were there when the first Voyageurs came through. They've never disappeared from northern MN. When they first arrived is probably open to debate among the scientists who will offer the origin of species on this continent.

We've always had wolves in northern Minnesota, but they have geatly increased their range,They now inhabit the entire northern half of our state,I don;t want to see them eliminated but I sure feel the state of Mn should have the right to manage them

If the wolves have always been in Minnesota, are they solely to blame for the declining moose population? Forgive me as I pay more attention to the wolf issue out West. Trying to learn. mtmuley

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back