Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wisconsin Wolf kill reaches 50% of statewide quota after first day of season; DNR to close three zones

The majority of the wolves killed up there have been with dogs. At least that's the story I'm getting from several sources that are up there doing it. Except for one guy that used a thermal. Not saying only one was shot with thermal just one that I know of.
"Thermal"? What exactly is that?

Friend hunted near Bloomer WI with dogs and said he had a blast. Group took 3 all within 50 yards of each other over last 3 days. Group hunted hundreds if not thousands of acres that would not otherwise have been open to hunt anything. Land owners around here want them gone and got a chance to put a dent in them and took good advantage of it.

Group hunted hundreds if not thousands of acres that would not otherwise have been open to hunt anything. Land owners around here want them gone and got a chance to put a dent in them and took good advantage of it.
I think this has a lot to do with it also. Factor that in with the wolves not having been educated / pressured / shot at and it makes sense to me. Hunting with dogs makes a lot of sense given the amount of cover. That would be a fun way to hunt wolves. Comparing hunting them in the west is pretty funny to me, simply two totally different worlds.

They take their deer hunting heritage very seriously in Wisconsin and it's cool to see their hunt come together and go so well. Looks like they have a lot of wolves

I think this has a lot to do with it also. Factor that in with the wolves not having been educated / pressured / shot at and it makes sense to me. Hunting with dogs makes a lot of sense given the amount of cover. That would be a fun way to hunt wolves. Comparing hunting them in the west is pretty funny to me, simply two totally different worlds.

They take their deer hunting heritage very seriously in Wisconsin and it's cool to see their hunt come together and go so well. Looks like they have a lot of wolves
Yes, we do take our deer hunting seriously. I do however think they are somewhat educated. I don't think that the last 3 days are the only time that some of them had been shot at in the last 7 years. Not saying it's right, just saying it's probably happened....

Yes, we do take our deer hunting seriously. I do however think they are somewhat educated. I don't think that the last 3 days are the only time that some of them had been shot at in the last 7 years. Not saying it's right, just saying it's probably happened....
Maybe so, but but they're also just naturally very intelligent and shy animals. The differences between pressured wolves and YNP wolves is pretty noticeable where I live. Seeing one in Yellowstone is pretty easy but seeing one outside the park is a totally different story. All in all though, these guys have my respect. Glad to see guys getting it done because it isn't easy regardless of how pressured they are. Wolf hunting is no joke and I'm definitely not trying to downplay their success. It's awesome

I have never seen anyone in MT hunt wolves with dogs. I am not sure of the regs on that and I can't find anything prohibiting it. I know they hunt cats that way, but have never run into a wolf hunter with dogs. I have seen hounds on the trail of a cat miles ahead of the hunters and always thought that if the dogs ran into a pack of wolves the owner might regret the decision. Maybe I have that all wrong.
Wolves kill lion dogs. mtmuley

Happy to see the hunt from a management perspective. Also, happy to see many taken from southern Wisconsin where there really isn't much habitat. On the flip side, I get quite a kick out of guys who think they are helping the deer heard. This thinking is a very naïve and simple way of looking at things.....

I hope going so over the quota doesn't come back to bite us in the rear.......

Happy to see the hunt from a management perspective. Also, happy to see many taken from southern Wisconsin where there really isn't much habitat. On the flip side, I get quite a kick out of guys who think they are helping the deer heard. This thinking is a very naïve and simple way of looking at things.....

I hope going so over the quota doesn't come back to bite us in the rear.......
I think anyone who looked at the rules would know what hunters would do (reporting kill at last possible hour) so hunt would conintue longer before being closed for quota. And also knowing that the tribes would take 50% of quota of the northern ceeded lands, the "real" quota was barely over. I don't believe the 10% objective was even close, meaning I believe there are way more than 2000 wolves in Wisconsin. Long way of saying, I beleve the DNR actaully used common sense on this one and took all of this into account. Yes, I said it:) So what my real concern is that it is being reported that we are were way over quota, when we actual weren't

Send me a message if you know where I can find any of the data or articles. Seems interesting and always open to learning something new.
I'm not going to look them up. You can google Mike Mitchell's work or find his website, if he has one with pubs attached. scholar.google.com is your friend. I'm just repeating what he showed in a seminar.

I believe the hound hunters hit them hard the first day. I haven't seen any succesful trappers yet, but i'm sure the pix are coming
I know some of the coyote hound hunters in WI. These hounds are just as good at tracking a wolf. I would say with what I have heard most all the wolves were taken by hunters with hounds. With not even a 3 day hunt there was no time for the trappers do much more then set traps

They don't tell us the hunting/trapping breakdown. I would bet it was more trapping, mostly because the past WI numbers reflected that. Just a theory, but trapping is probably harder in MT and ID because of the vast expanse of territory. In WI they might be able to narrow down a target area to a travel corridor and be more effective.
It's hound hunting in WI. So you would find out if you got a tag Sunday and then you put you traps out the next morning on the opener. Trappers are not going to get them on day one and there was 52.

Looks like these are the final numbers as of 3pm today, 216 in 63 hours. Compare that with the report from 2012-2014 and it looks like WI hunters went to school on how to hunt wolves. If you dig into the reports for each year the 2012 to 2014 harvest was heavily slanted to trapping. I suspect this year was heavily slanted to the dogs. Either way I'm going to guess there are WAY more wolves out there than people think in order to get this done in a 63 hour season... Congrats to all that were successful!

Capture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Back