PEAX Equipment

Wisconsin Wolf kill reaches 50% of statewide quota after first day of season; DNR to close three zones

So they haven't been hunted for 7 years and the DNR set the quota at 2 higher than the initial wolf hunt in 2012. That's just lazy management.

Apparently WI hunters could show ID & MT wolf hunters how it's done.
They don't tell us the hunting/trapping breakdown. I would bet it was more trapping, mostly because the past WI numbers reflected that. Just a theory, but trapping is probably harder in MT and ID because of the vast expanse of territory. In WI they might be able to narrow down a target area to a travel corridor and be more effective.

Being from Wisconsin and turning back in a tag during their inaugural wolf hunt, I have followed the wolf situation pretty closely. I would agree the current season was certainly a bit rushed, but things seem to be going according to plan.

I love the comment sections on the news articles, especially in the current news era. "Follow the science" is repeated over and over and over when it comes to a certain virus making headlines ... but to suggest the same for wolf management (or any wildlife management) makes you a monster. The uninformed truly don't know how uninformed they are.

They don't tell us the hunting/trapping breakdown. I would bet it was more trapping, mostly because the past WI numbers reflected that. Just a theory, but trapping is probably harder in MT and ID because of the vast expanse of territory. In WI they might be able to narrow down a target area to a travel corridor and be more effective.

I was being facetious because of the ridiculous anti-carnivore bent that western hunters have.

I was being facetious because of the ridiculous anti-carnivore bent that western hunters have.
Sorry. I got the joke. I probably shouldn't have replied to your post directly. WI is on a fast pace though.
Do we have studies on where or not it decreases populations? Seems less wolves might equal more food which means healthier wolves and larger litters. Nature tends to work that way in a lot of cases.

I suspect it has more to do with the hound hunting culture in Wisconsin along with a fresh coating of snow for opening morning.

I believe the hound hunters hit them hard the first day. I haven't seen any succesful trappers yet, but i'm sure the pix are coming

Glad I went with the point only option. I would have put in for zone 2. No way I would have tagged one in two days.

Sorry. I got the joke. I probably shouldn't have replied to your post directly. WI is on a fast pace though.
Do we have studies on where or not it decreases populations? Seems less wolves might equal more food which means healthier wolves and larger litters. Nature tends to work that way in a lot of cases.

Canid reproduction is the antidote to predator control. When populations are put in heavy harvest mode, the females tend to overproduce pups by going into heat multiple times per year, and having larger litters. The peaks & troughs of natural cycles are food dependent, in human dominated habitats like the Midwest, it's pressure related just as much as anything else in terms of overall populations.

Canid reproduction is the antidote to predator control. When populations are put in heavy harvest mode, the females tend to overproduce pups by going into heat multiple times per year, and having larger litters. The peaks & troughs of natural cycles are food dependent, in human dominated habitats like the Midwest, it's pressure related just as much as anything else in terms of overall populations.
At one time we exterminated them from vast areas so it is possible to kill your way out of the problem.

Back