10 years after Wolves' return to Idaho

Ithaca 37

Here's an article from today's paper:

"Wolves vs. elk: 10 years after Wolves' return, are Idaho's most controversial predators decimating elk herds?

Hunters' fears that wolves would decimate elk herds have so far been unproven since the controversial canines were reintroduced into Idaho 11 years ago. Elk hunters have feared wolves would drastically reduce their favorite game animal, and hunters have complained that where they used to find abundant elk herds they now see fewer elk and more wolf sign.

But more than 10 years after the wolves' reintroduction in Idaho, the effect of wolves on elk herds remains unclear — it's more a matter of passion and opinion than clear science. The Idaho Statesman talked to five experts to get their ideas on the subject, but there's no consensus, even among these hunters and wildlife biologists.

Wolves are a handy scapegoat for hunters, and in many cases, they are probably correct. Wolves may have driven the elk from hunters' favorite spots. But statewide elk harvests have remained relatively stable in the past 20 years despite the normal year-to-year fluctuations.

Despite the rapidly growing wolf population, now estimated between 500 and 600, Idaho Department of Fish and Game statistics show 86,342 hunters killed 21,523 elk last year. It was the largest elk harvest in a decade and the seventh-highest on record dating back to 1935.

Not a hunter? As wolf packs continue to grow, the outcome will mean more than whether there's elk meat in a hunter's freezer. Elk hunting adds tens of millions of dollars to Idaho's economy.

F&G surveyed hunters in 1996 and found they spent about $105 every day they hunted elk. Each hunter averaged 6.7 days hunting last year, which would put the value of the elk season at more than $60 million. Between 80,000 and 90,000 people participate in elk hunting every fall, second only to deer season.

Nonresident elk hunters spent nearly $7.6 million dollars on hunting licenses and elk tags alone last year.

Even without wolves, much has changed in the elk hunting world in the last 20 years. There were regulation changes unrelated to the wolf reintroduction; wildfires that burned hundreds of thousands of acres and improved habitat; mild winters, hard winters, and many other factors that have affected elk herds and how F&G manages them.

"Most changes are due to cumulative effects, not a single factor," F&G wildlife bureau chief Jim Unsworth said.

But wolves have remained the most controversial factor in the past decade.

After 29 wolves were released into the remote Central Idaho backcountry in 1995 and 1996, they have flourished and now occupy nearly all the terrain between the Snake River and the Canadian border. That same area also is home to most of Idaho's elk, which are the wolves' favorite prey.

In most places, they appear to be coexisting. Elk populations are meeting F&G's objectives in 26 out of 29 of its elk management zones.

Even so, F&G is asking the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to allow the state to kill wolves in one of the three zones management zones not meeting objectives to see if fewer wolves will benefit struggling elk herds.

F&G's harvest data shows harvests have remained stable, but the percentage of successful elk hunters has declined since wolves were reintroduced. Between 1985 and 1994, the average hunter success rate was 26 percent. Between 1995 and 2004, the average success rate dropped to 22 percent.
Elk hunting is now more tightly regulated than it was before wolves were reintroduced. Hunters must now choose one area to hunt, and in many units choose which weapon they use to hunt. In the Boise River Zone, if you hunt with a rifle, you can't hunt with a bow and arrow or muzzleloader, and vice versa.

All of the people who commented for this story had copies of the harvest data."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/NEWS01/606110332

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a four percent decline in hunter success!!!!!!! To listen to all the bitchin' you'd think hunter success was down by 50%!:D Who do you suppose those four percent are----the guys who don't know how to adapt to the new hunting situation now that wolves move the elk around more?

I'd like to hear from the guys who have been telling us the elk herds have been decimated by wolves. Maybe they can explain how the harvest has stayed stable!:confused:

Light the torches and get the axes and pitchforks!

Interesting article Ithaca. Reguarding, the lower 1995-2004 average success rate....I wonder what the reasoning is? I'm guessing wolves have little to do with it.

I am of the opinion that wolves need to be managed by the state. It'd be fun to smoke a big wolf (legally, of course). :)

TBone- I'd guess that at least some of the difference is due to weather and possibly fires. IIRC 1988 was a big fire year even outside of Yellowstone. Also, 1983-84 were record moisture years (at least in No. UT so I'm assuming ID as well), while much of the later period was below average precipitation. Also, that stats could be a bit misleading. They give a success rate, but not the numbers killed.

I think the slightly lower success rate shows that some so-called "hunters" can't adjust to the new conditions created by the wolves. The elk are warier now and in places that are harder to get at them. Some hunters haven't figured that out yet, or aren't smart enough to change their hunting style.

1_pointer said:
Also, that stats could be a bit misleading. They give a success rate, but not the numbers killed.

It was the largest elk harvest in a decade and the seventh-highest on record dating back to 1935.

How is that misleading?????? |oo

Actually, all the data was in the printed version of the Statesman. For some reason, their website doesn't have the data tables.

The more interesting part is that the percentage of bulls killed has decreased and hunters are killing more cows.

My take on it is that about the same time that Idaho introduced wolves, Idaho changed the state into "Zones" and limited you to only hunting a single zone and you had to choose your weapon/season with the A and B tags. It used to be, in Idaho, that you could start hunting Aug 30 for Elk and hunt until mid-December if you were inclined to hunt various parts of the state. That allowed people to pursue Bulls for a couple of months. Now, it seems like your hunt is concentrated on a 10 day to 14 day period and you better score then.

I think alot of the killing more bulls than cows has to do with more oppurtunities in areas that are either on or adjacent to private land areas. I know in some of the areas I used to hunt elk the numbers just aren't there like they were; however you can travel about 20-30 miles to areas that used to not have lots of elk and are now teaming with elk. The area in this case with elk is private land, farm ground. The private aspect, with the human disturbance, probably helps keeps the wolves out of these spots, but we all know how well elk can do in farm ground. In the clearwater basin we are having lots of new hunts in the past few years that are essentially depredation hunts that are OTC or a liberal draw and mostly antlerless. The southeast corner of Idaho probably has more elk now than it did at the time of wolf introduction. Elk number wise we certainly don't have the same population distribution we did pre-wolf, but overall population size is probably comparable.

Back