PEAX Equipment

Wisconsin Wolf kill reaches 50% of statewide quota after first day of season; DNR to close three zones

Canid reproduction is the antidote to predator control. When populations are put in heavy harvest mode, the females tend to overproduce pups by going into heat multiple times per year, and having larger litters.
A recent seminar I attended said there is no evidence of this in Montana wolves. I would not be surprised if this applied to other wolf populations.

A recent seminar I attended said there is no evidence of this in Montana wolves. I would not be surprised if this applied to other wolf populations.

Lots of unkowns still but I could see data indicating that at some level. It's not like MT is spending much money, if any, to actually study wolves though.

I assume it's the same as our big eastern coyotes. The increased reproduction after hunting is a result of the breakdown of pack structure. Females will be to be more likely to breed and pups more likely to survive.

Impressive work by the WI wolf hunters

I assume it's the same as our big eastern coyotes. The increased reproduction after hunting is a result of the breakdown of pack structure. Females will be to be more likely to breed and pups more likely to survive.

Impressive work by the WI wolf hunters
Yeah, I would have assumed the same if forced to assume, but the data says otherwise and wolves are not coyotes.

Lots of unkowns still but I could see data indicating that at some level. It's not like MT is spending much money, if any, to actually study wolves though.
I'll stick with Mike Mitchell. He has the data. And I doubt MT is spending much if anything on it. Feds mostly, I would guess. But in any event, the data do not support the assumption that busting wolf packs has the same effect as busting coyote packs.

Cousins run hounds for coyotes, one member of there grew drew a tag so they were trying to cut a wolf track today, but no luck. He said the amount of groups out running hounds today was crazy. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a call.

Even my cousin managed to get one today.
Bad ass! Grats to him!

I'm still working on my first. I'm back on opportunistic wolf hunting... Wonder the challenge difference beyond the muckety muck yammerings, as Randy and others share, they are a true challenge to hunt... least in MT, I'd imagine WY and ID.

I'll stick with Mike Mitchell. He has the data. And I doubt MT is spending much if anything on it. Feds mostly, I would guess. But in any event, the data do not support the assumption that busting wolf packs has the same effect as busting coyote packs.
Send me a message if you know where I can find any of the data or articles. Seems interesting and always open to learning something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back