Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Winter projects

T Bone

Lucky Mike posted some pics of his winter project taxidermied fish.

Post a pic or two of your project(s).

Here are a few of mine.

This one is a gem....I picked up this basketcase Beretta for 2 bills. Broken stock, barrels badly rusted.....who does that to a Beretta?. I cleaned up the metal as best I could. Had the barrels bead blasted for $20. I epoxied and pinned the 3 pieces of broken stock together. Had the barrels cerakoted graphite black, and sent them off to Mike Orlen to have choke tubes installed. The result is one fine shooting double. I love the double trigger O/U. It makes me want a good GSP again and head to pheasant country. My son in the process of adopting the shotgun. I don't have before pics, but here is the after.

This is my big project, long overdue. It was started New Years Eve, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My wife scored this 2nd hand vanity and cool chunk of granite to top it.

Still need to finish the shower enclosure.

Project #3.
Picked up a 90's vintage Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in the righteous 30-06. Had the bolt fluted and skeletonized. Tuned the trigger to a crisp 3 pounds. Will put in a new firing pin assembly, trigger guard, new stock, Talleys, top it with a Leup 6x36 and it'll be good to take to the range. Or maybe I should test fire it first.....

I need to get these wrapped up, because 2 of these just showed up.

Last edited:
My 9 year old daughter received a sewing machine for Christmas. After we made the lifetime supply of pillow cases, pillows, and pot holders we decided we would try something more advanced.

So we watched a few videos on sewing different stitches etc, ordered a few yards of silnylon, a #10 zipper, a few other various items, and went to work.

The result is a floorless hex 9.5' across and 5.5' tall. Weighs 22oz total and is large enough for two...or dad and his gear this fall. Not too shabby for a 9 year old and guy that never sewed a stitch before Christmas.

We are planning some "official" field testing this weekend and have plans for a modified version next...after we finish our cylinder stove of course.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 517
My 9 year old daughter received a sewing machine for Christmas. After we made the lifetime supply of pillow cases, pillows, and pot holders we decided we would try something more advanced.

So we watched a few videos on sewing different stitches etc, ordered a few yards of silnylon, a #10 zipper, a few other various items, and went to work.

The result is a floorless hex 9.5' across and 5.5' tall. Weighs 22oz total and is large enough for two...or dad and his gear this fall. Not too shabby for a 9 year old and guy that never sewed a stitch before Christmas.

We are planning some "official" field testing this weekend and have plans for a modified version next...after we finish our cylinder stove of course.

That's awesome!!! My daughter is only 2 1/2 but I may see if she can make me one. Lol

If you don't mind me asking, what did the material run?

Thanks. I also have 2 year old daughter. She's not so good at sewing, but if you pitch the hex in the house she will play in it all day.

We used silnylon 2nds since this was our first attempt. It was 5.95/yard. You can find it cheaper if you hunt around, but we (as in me) wanted a brown color.

Let me know if you need a hand finalizing the tile project Tyson, we are close enough to make a weekend of it to help out. Hope you all are doing well

Last edited:
Nice work, what stock are you putting on the 700?

Factory takeoff from a 1st Gen Rem Ti. Not the best out there, but they are good enough for my uses.

Justin, thanks for the offer! You can come over anytime and tile all you want. :)

You going to the bighorn sheep banquet next month?

Post up some pics of your winter project!

Too cool! I'm going to make sure my daughter and wife see this post. It's a couple months till my birthday! :p

That is awesome! Heh, a stove jack would close to double the weight though... Hmmm. Man, that looks clean! Very nice!

That is awesome! Heh, a stove jack would close to double the weight though... Hmmm. Man, that looks clean! Very nice!

Thanks. We had a great time making it together. Stove boot will only add 4oz. It should be here this week so we can get it sewn in before the weekend.

CM7727,

What are you using for a center pole?

For now we just cut down an old aluminum tent pole from an old tent. We have to get it just right or it wants to bend. Will probably get something a little stiffer before fall if it turns out to be a pain. We also put a loop on the top so we can omit the pole and clip into a rope over a branch.

For your tipi pole, you might look for a Black Diamond Pole Link Converter. It allows you to use a set of trekking poles for the tipi pole. Since you're into sewing projects, here's a pic of one. Doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to make.
47239.jpg

Lots of other companies make trekking pole extenders to use as a center pole. Here's a link to a company that has one that is light and not all that expensive.
http://store.seekoutside.com/trekking-pole-extender/

Just some food for thought...

Anxious to get back home to work on my hunting trailer. Bought a new aluminum 7X14 cargo trailer last summer ,got it insulated and tiled the floor but need some windows installed and build something to hold my generator .Got it wired for 12 volt lights and 110 for my freezer.

For your tipi pole, you might look for a Black Diamond Pole Link Converter. It allows you to use a set of trekking poles for the tipi pole. Since you're into sewing projects, here's a pic of one. Doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to make.
47239.jpg

Lots of other companies make trekking pole extenders to use as a center pole. Here's a link to a company that has one that is light and not all that expensive.
http://store.seekoutside.com/trekking-pole-extender/

Just some food for thought...

is the material used to wrap the trekking poles at the base able to manage the stove heat? Typically the stove and pipe run along side the pole. I may look into this as well. I wonder if this originated from some wintertime project as well. Haha! Great idea!

I thinInk finding a pecker pOle would be the best option, in my opinion as I find my trekking poles valuable while hiking from my camp spot. Again though great idea.

Last edited:
is the material used to wrap the trekking poles at the base able to manage the stove heat? Typically the stove and pipe run along side the pole. I may look into this as well. I wonder if this originated from some wintertime project as well. Haha! Great idea!

I thinInk finding a pecker pOle would be the best option, in my opinion as I find my trekking poles valuable while hiking from my camp spot. Again though great idea.
I have no idea as I've never used one. Just remember seeing them. I could not find any in stock and they don't list them on the website anymore. If you're making them, you might be able to make them out of Nomex. Find a wildland firefighter that has an old shirt or pants they'd be willing to donate to the project. If not, you can get it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:Nomex Fabric

Back