MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Winter Project

idnative1948

I have dad's $175 Rem 721, 30-06 and decided I was going to take care of this fugly inlay job somebody prior to him attempted. I have a Rem 721 laminate stock coming from Boyds to put on it prior to seeing if there is anything I can do to this mess. Any ideas as far as cutting this stuff out? Or, give it a paint job due to the hack job on it? Also have been rounding up my tooks I may need. Other than a Dremel and riffle files, anything else?
Cheyenne scope? Can't find anything on it....

Dads721aught6002.jpg

How 'bout I do the mother of pearl, give it to you and YOU put it on one of yours? Ordered the stock yesterday and shipped this morning. Will see what happens when it gets here and will post up pics in the raw. Am still sure I will strip the nutmeg color though and start over. Thoughts?

Does the gun have sentimental reasons to try and keep it somewhat original? Some of those laminate stocks from Boyds can really change a gun's look. My son put a Boyds laminate on in place of his old Savage black synthetic stock. I liked the look and feel of the new stock and decided to have him change out the stock on my old Ruger model 77. He got a stock from Stockys as well as putting a much nicer Timney trigger on my Ruger for me. Made a couple of guns feel like new ones again.

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 1,288
Its a shame to destroy the unique look of the old 721/722 stocks, but you gotta do something about that hack job. I'd try to come up with a piece of wood that comes close to a factory look and preserves the true identity of those fine rifles. I had a 721/.30-06 and a 722/.257 and always enjoyed the plain look which made them identifiable.

I'm a fan of 721's as my original big game rifle is my grandfathers 30-06. 4 generations have used it to fill freezers.

I have no idea how to fix or cover up that inlay. I'd use the Dremel to remove, then carefully experiment with coloring epoxy to match. Fill and sand. Go slow and take your time. Once upon a time some 13 years ago there was a guy up at Shapell's Gun shop that did stock repairs that could match wood with epoxy very well.

My 721's barrel is getting burned out. It'll still shoot 2" groups, but it has noticeably deteriorated since my teenage act of shooting prairie dogs with it until the barrel was burning hot. I was considering a rebarrel, but am now considering a bore out to 338-06 or 35 Whelen and keep the original steel.

Depends on how thick that inlay is but all you can do is try. May be venear, may be 1/8" block. If it's just venear you probably have a good chance of saving the stock and cutting some weight off. I've refinished a couple of those old 721s and there is a lot of extra wood on them.

You may also be able to obtain a factory stock from an online source.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

F4S- No sentimental reason to keep it totally stock, but I just like the looks of the oldtimers.

TB-The barrel is in great shape and had everything gone through by a smith because the bolt wouldn't lock in. Problem was old gun oil, gunk and powder residue. Also replaced the trigger with one that had fewer miles on it. As to the epoxy, I have plenty from restoring old wooden golf clubs.

Mojo-Thanks for the link. If I can't find a decent 721 stock, may just go with a 700 stock and grind to fit.

I'd just get a new walnut stock to go on. IMO, any 'fix' is going to look just as bad.

Tbone- Reboring would be great for something like that! However, I'd skip those two rounds and go to the 9.3X62 if your barrels thick enough. The 250gr Accubonds in 9.3 have a very respectable BC and can be driven to 2500fps! Very 338 Win Mag-esque...

Any 700 long action stock should work but you'll have to open up the bolt handle relief to fit.

May have a line on used 700 LA take-off in decent shape. Going to go check it out at lunch. Supposed to be really nice piece of wood. For now it will just wear laminate.

A local shop has the rare 721 in 300HH if you want it's partner. It's in a hokey aftermarket stock though.

As a matter of fact I received the 721 stock from Boyds today and was supposed to be the nutmeg stain, but as luck would have it they were out and sent me a naked one so will not have to re-do. I cannot wait to get the final sanding and fitting started (pending the Mrs hip surgery recovery). I am curious to see if the action is bedded and barrel floated though on this old thing. Anybody had one apart from the 50's?
I just don't want to FUBAR this thing that shoots lights out, but is fuuuugly. I am more excited about trying to fix this old piece of good wood though and put it back on. Old wood, old weapon.....

I'd bet that's a piece of veneer. See how it's bent around the corner? Doing that as an inlay would be very difficult.

Probably 20 seconds with a delicate hand, and random orbit sander with 50 grit, would take it off. You'd have to be carefull not to pothole the stock while doing it, but if you're careful it wouldn't take much to make it disappear.

Don't risk the stock, unless you're commited to junk it. It's high risk to attempt refinishing any wood.

I'd bet that's a piece of veneer. See how it's bent around the corner? Doing that as an inlay would be very difficult.

Probably 20 seconds with a delicate hand, and random orbit sander with 50 grit, would take it off. You'd have to be carefull not to pothole the stock while doing it, but if you're careful it wouldn't take much to make it disappear.

Don't risk the stock, unless you're commited to junk it. It's high risk to attempt refinishing any wood.

Didn't even think about it being veneer. As to refinishing wood.... I have done a little.

From this-
Organbefore.jpg

To this-
Desk.jpg

I am curious to see if the action is bedded and barrel floated though on this old thing. Anybody had one apart from the 50's?
I am more excited about trying to fix this old piece of good wood though and put it back on. Old wood, old weapon.....

The originals are not bedded and have the pressure point in the foreend tip. Good luck on saving the original.

I keep thinking on that 721 300HH. I should buy it, to go with my 721 30-06.

Last edited:
The originals are not bedded and have the pressure point in the foreend tip. Good luck on saving the original.

I keep thinking on that 721 300HH. I should buy it, to go with my 721 30-06.

Thanks for the heads up on that! Will take a close look.

No idea on the grade. It's in an aftermarket stock. All metal had been refinished. Trigger not original. Original iron sights are there.

Someone go buy it. I keep thinking on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back