PEAX Equipment

Winter Project

Didn't even think about it being veneer. As to refinishing wood.... I have done a little.

From this-
Organbefore.jpg

To this-
Desk.jpg

Beautiful.

Before I got greedy, and went into industrial scaffold building, I owned/operated a custom woodworking business for 7 years. Lots of fun projects.

I'm a fan of 721's as my original big game rifle is my grandfathers 30-06. 4 generations have used it to fill freezers.

I have no idea how to fix or cover up that inlay. I'd use the Dremel to remove, then carefully experiment with coloring epoxy to match. Fill and sand. Go slow and take your time. Once upon a time some 13 years ago there was a guy up at Shapell's Gun shop that did stock repairs that could match wood with epoxy very well.

My 721's barrel is getting burned out. It'll still shoot 2" groups, but it has noticeably deteriorated since my teenage act of shooting prairie dogs with it until the barrel was burning hot. I was considering a rebarrel, but am now considering a bore out to 338-06 or 35 Whelen and keep the original steel.

Seems like my brother has a 721/.338-06 and it doesn't feed right.

A local shop has the rare 721 in 300HH if you want it's partner. It's in a hokey aftermarket stock though.

I have an original .300 H&H/721BDL. I've never figured out why the BDL was put on it. The only strange thing about it is the 24" bbl.. I used it a couple of years while my .280 was being put together, and shot a couple of blacktails with it. Recoil is not as vicious as a .30-06.

I have an original .300 H&H/721BDL. I've never figured out why the BDL was put on it. The only strange thing about it is the 24" bbl.. I used it a couple of years while my .280 was being put together, and shot a couple of blacktails with it. Recoil is not as vicious as a .30-06.

Dad's aught six is original, but was always grumpy because he never took the time to *work it over*. So now up to me to make it what he wanted, and has special meaning to me to do it right for him. As to recoil- The last time he shot it was when he was 89. May still be some of those curmudgeons around, but few and far between if they were born in the teens.

Were 721's not known to wear a 24 inch barrel? I have one in '06 that has a 24 incher. mtmuley

Yes. All 30-06 and 270's I've seen are 24". 300HH is 26"

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe mine was a special order from the factory by the original buyer...maybe that's why the BDL designation. I s'pose some research might answer the question.

Thanks for the heads up! Yes pressure is at the tip of the stock. Just going through final fit up. Have had the barrel in and out 10X30 times I think. Just going slow will try to get some pics up this weekend. Everything clean as a whistle after I had the action worked over and I even ending up with a new trigger. Other than the old ramp sight on the front, I think I am going to like it!

The originals are not bedded and have the pressure point in the foreend tip. Good luck on saving the original.

I keep thinking on that 721 300HH. I should buy it, to go with my 721 30-06.

Winter Project UPDATE

After having 'ol Bessie apart and back together what seemed to be a 100 times I finally got her into a new dress last night. Still a little more to do before I can put the makeup on her.

Bessie_zps9dd2c602.jpg

I have dad's $175 Rem 721, 30-06 and decided I was going to take care of this fugly inlay job somebody prior to him attempted. I have a Rem 721 laminate stock coming from Boyds to put on it prior to seeing if there is anything I can do to this mess. Any ideas as far as cutting this stuff out? Or, give it a paint job due to the hack job on it? Also have been rounding up my tooks I may need. Other than a Dremel and riffle files, anything else?
Cheyenne scope? Can't find anything on it....

Dads721aught6002.jpg

You've got me thinking now....

Can you give more detail on what Boyd's definition of a semi-inlet stock is? How much inletting did you have to do for the action and bottom metal to fit well?

IIRC semi-inlet from them is 90-95%. Probably took me longer than it needed to, but just decided to go slow especially with my Dremel. Biggest issue I had was hogging out the recoil lug area which I had to lower by at least 3/16". Next area was the rear tang, that took about an 1/8' before things started lining up. Then on to the safety and bolt cut-outs. As to the bottom metal not much, but that is a slow go to adjust the inletting for trigger guard (sharp knife and small chisel). Also went up one size on the drill bit for the action screws.

I did get a surprise when I was measuring and transferring measurements from the old stock and was looking at the forend (tip came off in my hand along with the dowel). I think the only thing holding it on was pressure from the front sling screw.

When I take it back apart will try to remember to post up some photos.

You've got me thinking now....

Can you give more detail on what Boyd's definition of a semi-inlet stock is? How much inletting did you have to do for the action and bottom metal to fit well?

idnative

Lookin Good !!, The color will really sweeten up when you apply the finish. I have two Boyd's; on mausers (monte carlo design), a walnut on the large ring and a pepper laminate on the small ring, I ordered both unfinished
I sanded with 180, 220, 320 and 440 ; 10 coats of Tru Oil on the walnut and 6 coats on the laminate, I have hunted with the walnut in the rain several times with no adverse effects.
Both rifles are extremely comfortable to shoot, Boyd's are a great deal congrats !

Thanks tahoe! Any other points you want to divulge I am willing to listen. How about bedding? Have it all torn down again and what I think is enough clearance for bedding especially around the recoil lug. This thing was stocked in a hatchet job so want to get it right. Just too bad some idgiot hosed the original stock.

idnative

I haven't bedded either one, the walnut one (large ring), was free floated from the receiver ring forward, I'm getting 1-1/4" @ 100 yds with 180 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips (8x57 mauser). It also has a Timney trigger & Pentax scope. That's a 60+ yr old action & barrel, I have taken two deer with that one so far. The laminate stocked 7mm mauser needs a new barrel but still shoots 4"-5" @ 100 with no scope. :D you can see the group of the 8mm after scope adjustment @ 100 yds (from a kneeling position,not the bench) love that mauser !!

Attachments

• colville hunt 058.jpg
    colville hunt 058.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Jacob shooting 020.jpg
    Jacob shooting 020.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
idnative, I just bedded my 721. I used the Acra-glas gel kit. It isn't difficult, just take your time. Use lots of rlease agent. If I do another one, I'm gonna get or make some bedding srews. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back