Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Winter hunting out of a backpacking tent?

kad11

I'm interested in possibly doing some backpack hunting this fall during MT's rifle season, but I have a few questions for you experienced guys:

(1) How did you keep boots and clothes from freezing overnight? Drying out clothes with a fire is a great option, but are there any other techniques you guys have used that don't rely on fire? I've heard of little propane heaters that are supposedly safe to use inside a ventilated tent, but that seems risky to me...

(2) 3 or 4 season tent? I've got a simple 3-season tent, but I'm not confident that it would stand up to heavier wind and snow loads. I've been eyeing the Coleman Helios 2 man tent which I've heard is sturdy enough to handle any conditions I would encounter. What do you guys use?

(3) How do you boil water for freeze-dried meals? Propane/ butane is pretty unreliable at colder temperatures. Again, I don't want to be dependent upon a fire (in case it's blizzarding).

I would like hunt mulies (and elk if I am unsuccessful during archery) in the Spanish Peaks wilderness area, northern Gallatins, and possibly the Crazies. My plan would be to haul camp in 4-6 miles with a sled and then use that as a base camp for 2-3 days. I would like to be prepared to handle nighttime temps in the -20 to 0 degree range. I also don't have a huge budget so something like a tipi with a backpacking wood stove is out of the question.

I've never tent camped in the winter before so please let me know if I'm being a bit unrealistic...it's sounds awesome to me right now, but I know things can get dangerous in a hurry when you combine snow, wind, and frigid temps.

As far as meals go, MREs (meals ready to eat). They come with their own heat sources that really do make your food hot. They also double for a quick warmer. While I'm eating I'll take the heating element and put it in my boots or any part of me that is cold. As far as the Crazies go, when the snow flies it's really hard to get back into them for the most part. My cousin and I got caught in a brutal snow storm while packing out his bull 4 years ago. I honestly didn't think we would make it out with the truck. I was prepared to ditch it and hike out on snowshoes. While hiking we watched the storm go over the bridgers. We knew it was going to be bad just form the looks of it. By the time we hit White Sulfer Springs there was almost a foot of the white stuff. Thankfully we made it out.

It may be more affordable than u think! Check out the go light sl3. If it cost too much look at appy trails. They make a tipi type for $140. If they won't put a stove jack in do it your self or find someone with a sewing machine. A jack is about $35. Last build your own stove. Do a search on the internet or utube. You can build one out of a mail box or silver ware canister. You can also build a little alcohol stove out of cans to boil water with. You can cook of a mail box stove as well. Go for it and let us know how it goes!! You will probably need a good pad with a high r value as well.

Don't forget a very good sleeping bag and mat, no good being dry in your tent if you are freezing your nuts off!
Cheers
Richard

Wear synthetics. They dry quickly. Heat a rock or boil some water for your bottle, wrap in a towel and throw in your sleeping bag. Put your clothes in there too (if not too wet). If soaked, you may need an extra set to get you through the next day. You can heat clothes with a fire, but not too close! Best to do this with a reflective wall.

Keep fuel bottles in your sleeping bag or put in your clothes during a climb and they're not much of a problem.

Four season tents might be useful, but really are just made to handle heavy snow. They are not warmer. Three seasons are lighter. Set them up correctly and if you get a huge snow, clear it off as it's coming down.

Keep fuel bottles in your sleeping bag or put in your clothes during a climb and they're not much of a problem.

Four season tents might be useful, but really are just made to handle heavy snow. They are not warmer. Three seasons are lighter. Set them up correctly and if you get a huge snow, clear it off as it's coming down.

Some really good info in this thread. I only have a couple of additions.

If you are using fuel bottles that aren't pressurized (for a whisper lite stove) make sure your canister doesn't leak before stuffing it into something you don't want fuel soaked into (voice of experience here). Check the o-ring on the bottle to make sure it isn't leaking, or buy a new bottle if you are worried. No need to worry about leaking on the pressurized canisters.

In general - Four season tents are not warmer. I have a North Face VE-25 3 man tent. It is most definitely the warmest tent I have been in. It is heavy (10-11 lbs) - and only makes appearances on my trips where I know it will be very cold - or I am in for many days.

I spent 4 days hunting Goat's a few years ago with 3 other guys (wasn't my tag, just along for the ride). We had 2 tents, my NF and a REI 3 season. A storm rolled in on day 2 - and continued through day 4. We ended up with over 3 feet of snow - and temps cold enough that the memory of the trip is causing me to shiver in August.

2 of the guys didn't have great sleeping bags, so they stayed in the NF. I stayed in the REI with the other guy. I went into the NF one of the mornings - and it was at least 20 degrees warmer in that tent. We didn't get a goat on that trip. I have camped out in that tent in January before (backcountry skiing, in the Crazies).

Regardless - 3 season tents are fine. Winter / late fall camping is very fun. I expect to have to take more time in getting ready in the morning, so I usually add an hour to my prep schedule for the day. The cold makes everything move slower. If you feel the need, start a fire and warm-up / dry out. Moisture can make you very sick at those cold temps.

You could go a different route...a lightweight floorless tipi with a ultralight woodburning stove. They're really nice when it's cold and wet out.

If you are using fuel bottles that aren't pressurized (for a whisper lite stove) make sure your canister doesn't leak before stuffing it into something you don't want fuel soaked into (voice of experience here). Check the o-ring on the bottle to make sure it isn't leaking, or buy a new bottle if you are worried. No need to worry about leaking on the pressurized canisters.
I put it in a ziplock bag and try to keep it upright. (You can also buy new O-rings).

Kudos to you Kad for having the sense of adventure to get after it in the chilly. I will start by saying I don't think its crazy, as long as long as you take some time to train, plan, and be confident in your training and planning. Speaking from experience, if you are going it with a partner that has done it before or is like minded to go this fall, that is best for a first time backcountry in that season. If you are going solo, you may want to consider not going very far from the trailhead/truck this year to try out some of your gear and methods, then find some one to go with you this winter after season to do multi-nights deeper in for practice. I will say solo in the cold and snow can be tough due to the number of calories you burn, then all the work is up to you at the end of the day and beginning, when it comes to gathering firewood and water.
The first time I went out in the Winter in serious snow and ice, we learned a ton. Next year you will know exponentially more what works and doesn't and have the confidence to know what to expect and deal with. I find I learn something new everytime we backpack it for multi day and run into rough weather; whether in the spring and summer for trout, or fall and winter for deer and elk.

(1) I have burnt, singed, and delaminated a lot of good pants, socks and boot soles over the fire in year's past. I learned to smoke them for awhile :). CC hit the nail on the head with using your sleep bag and something warm.
(2) 3 Season here, put the extra weight of a 4 season into extra pairs of socks/dry clothes.
(3) If you are going to be in plenty enough snow to use a sled and weight isn't as much of an issue then, go with MRE's or do the wood camp stove if you aren't comfortable with canister. I don't know if any of you guys have any experience with it, but I thought the following sounded like a kinda neat gadget. I would need to test it out though, and not sure how good it would be inside a tent when the winter squall hits outside and you hafta be in. http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

Go for it. If it feels good, go deeper and let us know how it went.

I want to thank everyone for their wisdom and insight; it is much appreciated!

I think this winter I will probably just camp within a half mile (or whatever the FWP limit is) of the trailhead so that I can test my gear and just get used to long hours sitting in the tent while still being able to bail if need be.

I am really interested in making my own silnylon tipi and backpacking woodstove. I have been reading about other people's endeavors in these two projects the past few evenings and they sound very doable. I plan to use this winter to compile all the materials and give those two projects a try! I will certainly let everyone know how it goes if/ when I complete a tipi/ woodstove combo.

This will only be my second season hunting so I don't want to get in too far over my head; I was blessed to be able to shoot a small bull last November and that got me hooked for life:) I was lucky enough to have a fresh snowfall the night before so I was able to follow his tracks; I really, really enjoyed that tracking style of hunting which is why I'm so interested in being able to stay out for multiple days.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to write about their experiences!

Back