Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wine whine

I did some maintenance work in a home that we built in 2013 today. The wine/champagne collection in the Cellar is in the very high six figures. I don't drink it or want to, but it's really interesting. I have a picture of a bottle of cheap shit we snuck into another client's wine room one time. Like $4.99 cheap. Bought it at Town Pump. It was there years later when she passed. She got the joke. mtmuley

Same client I was with today had some wine in boxes. The wine was in bottles in boxes, not box wine. He gave it to me. I took it as my Daughter had a friend's bachelorette party to plan. Big hit. mtmuley

You are 100% going about this the wrong way....NEVER choose booze for other people as we all have different tastes...just get a gift card to a Total Wine, Party store, beer store, liquor store...what ever they call it where you live and let THAT person choose what they want....problem solved. You're welcome :)

Why is there no good way to tell if a bottle of wine is good? I mean sure there's some difference in taste but there's many many MANY bottles of simply shitty astringent wine on the shelves that people actually buy
There are so many variables with “good” wine, between the palate of the drinker, and the actual chemistry of the year’s ferment, let alone the grape variety. Once you have had a few hundred bottles and narrowed down the variety, it gets a little more targeted! I personally like Cabernet Sauvignon and Old Vine Zinfandels. Merlots tend to be too sweet for me and Zinfandel and Beaujolais tend to be too thin. White wines don’t place either. I rarely spend more than $10/ bottle. The tough part is that Brand X Cabernet 2015 might be magnificent but Brand X, Cabernet 2016 might taste like acid Due to the rains and temperature of the year‘s season. The best thing you can do is share the data! So far the 19 Crimes brand Cab I tried tonight has been criminal in that the 20th crime was them producing Cabernet for sale! I fell in love with red wines from some of the vineyards from the Red Mountain region south of you. There have been some bottles that are like drinking red velvet magic! There are also $150 dollar bottles of swill! Share the data when you find a good cheap one! One thing that helps for those astringent wines is to let them air out in a decanter and let it get some O2 for a while. Oh well. pour some Jim Beam Black over ice and start over tomorrow!

When my wife (girlfriend) and I were 17 we went to a party, the kid had a dad who was a lawyer and high end wine collector. He was out of town. Anyhow after finishing the kegs, and the whiskey, and tequila, SC, etc. there were about 5 or 6 of us still standing, with nothing left we entered the “wine cellar”. This was like a 1000 sq ft basement filled with all kinds of bottles of things from years ago that none of us understood the meaning of. Anyhow we just started opening bottles and tasting stuff, most tasted like shit, but we found a few that were consumable. All I remember from there forward was lots of puking and sneaking in my bedroom window and waking up a few days later after claiming food poisoning to my parents. Last time I drank wine, but from what I recall the good one was like 30 years old.

Never did see Evan again, think he got sent off to live with his mother.

On a recent winery date with my wife I asked the employee what their favorite wine was.

Iowa-Sabrevois-2020-100X175.png
2020 Iowa Sabrevois is a dry red with bold aromas of spices and leather on the nose followed by blackberry and plum notes with hints of baking spice, smoke, and licorice on the palate. Made from Sabrevois grapes grown in our Iowa vineyards, 2020 Iowa Sabrevois pairs well with grilled meat. Serve at room temperature. Store at 55°F. $15.00 per bottle, plus tax.

Leather? Baking spice? Licorice? I did try some and it was more like dishwater on the nose with a household chemical finish...but, somehow strangely enjoyable. We drank a couple bottles and had a great evening.

Share the data when you find a good cheap one!
The Kirkland CdR, just picked up another bottle today for 7. Also the 2018 hot to trot, much better than previous versions, also 7 bucks. Picked up 3 other euro Kirkland ones will report back.

No help here. I quit booze 36 years ago after planting acres of grapes in vineyards. For some of the best on the Central Coast. I had quite a collection going of Bordoux, Cabs. , Pinots and Merlot . The ex has what is left.
Tablas Creek, York Mtn., Wild horse sell the vino from those grapes now. Hear it's good shit.

Me, I know water and weed now.

If you are an adventurous wine person though, you are bound to run into some you don’t like.
I tend to like South American reds.

There are always outliers, and even after you have a list of go-to bottles, you never run out of new things to try. That’s fun, at least for me.
There are some pretty good malbecs coming out of Argentina.

No help here. I quit booze 36 years ago after planting acres of grapes in vineyards. For some of the best on the Central Coast. I had quite a collection going of Bordoux, Cabs. , Pinots and Merlot . The ex has what is left.
Tablas Creek, York Mtn., Wild horse sell the vino from those grapes now. Hear it's good shit.

Me, I know water and weed now.
"You sir, should be a wine critic."

I don’t care much for it, Catherine is quite the critic. Believe it or not South Africa had some great wines, she’s been ordering some from there since we got home. The beer there is just ok and they don’t know how to make coffee!

I don’t care much for it, Catherine is quite the critic. Believe it or not South Africa had some great wines, she’s been ordering some from there since we got home. The beer there is just ok and they don’t know how to make coffee!
South Africa is known for its Pinotage wine.
Years ago there was a company that sold South African wine by the case at very good prices. It was very good wine!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back