Will my bow case work flying?

I have now gone from compound to recurve in ifl and can see my travelling being so much easier.

You are much braver than myself. Obviously if you are a Team US shooter you travel way more than me but I would never consider driving from my house to the farm let alone across country with my bow in a soft case.

My SKB case is locked with the locks built into the case along with TSA approved locks. The case also has no hunting or archery stickers on it. I have a big Yamaha sticker on it looks like an electric key board case.

One other thing I was told was to put zip ties around the string and cable so the bow can't be drawn and dry fired.
When I said our USA Archery team, I meant Us as a collective...I am certainly not on the National Team LOL

Some baggage handlers treat bow cases really rough. I watched mine (plastered with hunting stickers) get chucked down the oversize carousel while my wife's is an Easton bag that could pass off as a hockey bag get treated nicely. So the big question is whether you trust your case to protect your bow or not.

Also, I highly recommend non-TSA locks. When you check in tell them it's archery equipment. If they want to open it up they will have to page you and do it in front of you. Last thing I want is some idiot opening my case, going through my stuff, maybe losing something or banging it around out of the case, and potentially drawing it back. I also recommend putting a zip-tie around your string and cables so they can't draw it back. I'd rather be a little paranoids than get to my destination and wish that I was.

I used to fly to Vegas for the WAF Vegas Indoor Shoot. Out of all the 1500 archers there I never heard a single one of them complaining that the airlines screwed up their bow. (and target archers are anal about that) . Now I did have my bow case delayed until 3:30 in the morning one time but that was a different issue)

Flying with my bow for the first time next season for a whitetail hunt in Arkansas. I have the basic Plano Compact case that was $50 on sale at Bass Pro. It has latches and holes for locks. Is this case TSA approved? What type of locks do I need? I really don’t want to shell out $4-500 on a Pelican. I have a list of other hunting items I need to get first.
That should be more than fine

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back