Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Will my bow case work flying?

RyanSoNorCal

Flying with my bow for the first time next season for a whitetail hunt in Arkansas. I have the basic Plano Compact case that was $50 on sale at Bass Pro. It has latches and holes for locks. Is this case TSA approved? What type of locks do I need? I really don’t want to shell out $4-500 on a Pelican. I have a list of other hunting items I need to get first.

I barely trust mine to ride in the back of the truck. I can't imagine trusting it to a baggage handler. Plano says it is not airline approved though I'm not actually sure if I know the rules.

You need TSA approved locks

I barely trust mine to ride in the back of the truck. I can't imagine trusting it to a baggage handler. Plano says it is not airline approved though I'm not actually sure if I know the rules.

You need TSA approved locks
Plano said it’s not airline approved?

Just flew to PA from Idaho and back with my bow in my Plano. I stuffed it full of cloths for extra padding and used two regular pad locks. I flew southwest and they had no issues with it. I've flown like this 3 times.
When you checked in you just re-locked regular padlocks after they looked inside? Checked it in just like regular luggage?

As stated earlier I don't know "the rules" or if there are even any but I certainly wouldn't trust mine to random baggage handlers but it's probably just fine

Plano said it’s not airline approved?
You don't need to lock bow cases. Plano probably states it's not airline-approved to cover their tail in case of damage.

I flew one trip with my Plano and my case and bow survived but it's a gamble with the cheap cases. I've since found an SKB on FB Marketplace for $150 that is a beast.

You don't need to lock bow cases. Plano probably states it's not airline-approved to cover their tail in case of damage.

I flew one trip with my Plano and my case and bow survived but it's a gamble with the cheap cases. I've since found an SKB on FB Marketplace for $150 that is a beast.
Makes sense. Thanks

I'd suggest locking with non tsa lo ks.

About 50% of the time you get an agent who treat a bow the same as firearms. I've had to show its unloaded and sign that little disclaimer

Flying with my bow for the first time next season for a whitetail hunt in Arkansas. I have the basic Plano Compact case that was $50 on sale at Bass Pro. It has latches and holes for locks. Is this case TSA approved? What type of locks do I need? I really don’t want to shell out $4-500 on a Pelican. I have a list of other hunting items I need to get first.
As long as you have TSA Approved locks on the case you're fine and you're confident enough the case can survive the trip getting thrown around without losing Zero you're fine. Make sure to test your bow after your flight to ensure the zero hasn't been compromised.

I've travelled overseas twice n no problem, they just ask what's inside and archery they just smile and you're good to go sir.

When we travel to archery tournaments we use a soft sided double bow case. All of our Team USA Archers use soft sided double bow cases as well to travel all over the globe. When you check it in and they ask what is in it just say archery equipment. It does not need to be locked. Don't overthink it.

When we travel to archery tournaments we use a soft sided double bow case. All of our Team USA Archers use soft sided double bow cases as well to travel all over the globe. When you check it in and they ask what is in it just say archery equipment. It does not need to be locked. Don't overthink it.
You are much braver than myself. Obviously if you are a Team US shooter you travel way more than me but I would never consider driving from my house to the farm let alone across country with my bow in a soft case.

My SKB case is locked with the locks built into the case along with TSA approved locks. The case also has no hunting or archery stickers on it. I have a big Yamaha sticker on it looks like an electric key board case.

One other thing I was told was to put zip ties around the string and cable so the bow can't be drawn and dry fired.

Last edited:
Husband and I flew with our bows to Hawaii in Planos and they worked just fine. I don't have a "fancy bow" but seems like it survived and still shoots straight. I use Pelican cases for flying with my guns though 😎

I flew home from Spokane once and they treated it like a gun. TSA came to inspect it and I had to sign the "it's unloaded" form. The guy said yeah, it's dumb but it's what we have to do

A few things. I didn’t read all the responses so if I am repeating anything sorry.

First TSA doesn’t approve or care about locks on archery cases. Use a TSA lock so they open it and not cut it.

I don’t know how many total flights I have were I was carrying a bow to a from bow hunting but it got to be knocking on about 100. The most damage and problems I have seen from baggage and handling is with hard cases. I have had SKB case that was broken, cracked and an actual hole put in it. That said the bow was not damaged at all. I have also had hard cases constantly get pulled and opened because TSA thinks they are unclaimed firearms. The least problems I have had is when I would check a hand gun in the bow case for travel to Alaska. Then it would get checked and locked and stay that way.

However I have stoped using hard cases completely, they are way over rated and not really efficient for the weight and what you take in it. I have since been putting my bow in a soft case, then putting it in a Sitka Nomad and then pack my clothing and gear around it. I have yet to have any issue at all. And find it a way better alternative than a dedicated hard case.

Whatever you plan on doing, make sure to give all the bolts a snug check when you get to the destination. Traveling has a weird way of loosening bolts up

I actually used a keyboard case when I flew mine to Hawaii. Had an overnight in LA and as suspected they were much less concerned with a keyboard case than a bow case. I packed a lot of extra stuff around the bow for extra padding.

Airline approved keyboard cases start at $50 on Amazon. Bow cases start at $150. Go figure.

I’ve also heard a bow will fit in a hard sided golf case. They can be found for cheap on marketplace and don’t ever get a second look.

Just flew to PA from Idaho and back with my bow in my Plano. I stuffed it full of cloths for extra padding and used two regular pad locks. I flew southwest and they had no issues with it. I've flown like this 3 times.
THIS^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back