will a whole elk fit into a kia sportage ????

jbm

trick question yes and no . YES a whole elk fits but NO if you do not cut it in half first lol
went out for opening day of rifle elk here in mt with a cpl friends. left camp in the dark and walked in about 3 miles . got to the spot 1 friend said we needed to be as the sun comes up.
well all i seen was 3 moose and watched my friend head up into the timber cuz that is the only place the elk could be right ? well i did some glassing out into the prairie and found some that did not know they should be up high in the timber.looked it over and said to myself lets go before they get the memo on the timber. a little over 3 miles later and about 1 1/2 hrs i eased up and found just 1 or 2 bedded in the sagebrush out in front of me close to 300 yrds. so i moved back out and went down a cpl hundred yrds and moved back up and this bingo i found them all [ about 75 ] i glassed them over looking for a nice bull but only found 6 rag horns. really did not want to shoot a rag horn so plan B [ this area is open to cows also ] looked over some of the cows in front of me and found a very nice looking big cow. took the safety off my little 35 wildcat and she never even got up out of her bed. after all the elk took off i went over put my tag on her and did some gutting then range the fence post i just shot from and it blinked out 47 yrds
then went back got my kia sportage and went back to get her. yep she was like only 20 yrds from an old blm road that is still open to travel on. backed up to her and my friend and i both did our best 8th grade math and both came up with she is not going in whole lol
i fast cut in the mid section and she is loaded and home ready for a cpl steaks now

Attachments

• elk for 2013 season 005.jpg
    elk for 2013 season 005.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,092
  • elk for 2013 season 006.jpg
    elk for 2013 season 006.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • elk for 2013 season 007.jpg
    elk for 2013 season 007.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,008
Camera man had to walk, or did you cut him in half too? :confused: :D.
Awesome pics, and congratulations on a nice cow elk!

Last edited:
Congratulations. That is one nice cow.

Back when I lived in New Jersey, a number of deer got a ride in the trunk of a 1972 Olds 88.

On the way home yell towards the back seat once in a while to "keep it down back there!"

I bet it was a cold ride home with the A/C blowing full force to cool that big cow down! Congrats and tell us that was not Momma's grocery getter! LOL John

I bet it was a cold ride home with the A/C blowing full force to cool that big cow down! Congrats and tell us that was not Momma's grocery getter! LOL John

i have never even had the A/C on in this car . i live a bit north of you it looks like
it is 18 deg this morning at my house so i think the elk is chilled down just fine :D

Well done on the elk and stuffing the rig! Opening day in Boulder MT yesterday someone did something similar with their Elkhorn Mountains spike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 760
This is fantastic. I love it when it all comes together like that. have a cow elk hunt later this week & i'm praying she's that close to a two-track. :)

in 1975 my then partner on the fire dept rescue went elk hunting with his Dad, in a VW squareback - at dawn he shot an 8 point Roosevelt, they were so excited, they loaded it gutted and whole in the back and headed for home stopping at every place they could think of to show it off - by the time they got back home it had stiffened sufficiently to make it impossible to remove as it was loaded soooo ..... off to the fire station they went - 2 hours and a tank of gas in the Hurst Tool (Jaws of Life nowadays) and help from the on duty guys and the elk (pieces) were out (I do truly wish they had taken sequential photos !) you should be seen the VW !!

Well done and congrats. That must have been a terrible pack-out ;) Manged to squeeze a bull in a Subaru once. The weight in the back certainly made the drive out on the snow-rutted road interesting!

Back