Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wifes First Bull Elk! 2017 in Colorado!

Madman

I know it's a repeat, but I am so proud of my wife, Anastasia......she got her first bull on her first try during a tough 2017 Colorado rifle season......The elk were tucked into the timber tight...she snuck up on this guy in his bed and got a 25 yard shot in the black timber, followed by about a three mile drag at 10000 feet. She stuck it through from the stalk and all through the day to get it back to the truck!
Anastasia's Bull 2017.jpg

Congratulations to your wife. Great to have a wife that shares and understands your passion for the hunt.

A huge congratulations to your wife, but I’m still trying to figure out WTF people drag elk? Gutless method and backpacks.

Great photo!

You could easily backpack a spike out in one trip. To each their own, I’ve done both and only do one way now.

Again congrats to your wife. The first elk is a cool experience.

Dragged it on a sled? I can't imagine dragging an elk 3 miles. Dragging a whitetail any more than a couple hundred yards is more than I want to do.

I know it's a repeat, but I am so proud of my wife, Anastasia......she got her first bull on her first try during a tough 2017 Colorado rifle season......The elk were tucked into the timber tight...she snuck up on this guy in his bed and got a 25 yard shot in the black timber, followed by about a three mile drag at 10000 feet. She stuck it through from the stalk and all through the day to get it back to the truck!
View attachment 76517

That's the way to get it done! Congratulations on the successful stalk.

But perhaps you can explain about the three mile drag. Even a horse wouldn't drag an elk three miles.

Well done Anastasia ! I had the pleasure of helping a Lady Hunt-Talker and her husband .pack out her first bull this past Friday. Must be the year for the girls! Great picture Madman!

Last edited:
Oh, and for the others questioning dragging elk, we drug this last bull, right at 4 miles with her hubby and I each pulling a sled. He had head, neck, both fronts and ribcage with attached hide. My load was both rears, pelvis, and loins up to third rib, with hide. Would have been sweet if we would have had more snow, muddy spots and soapweed can add to the effort pretty badly. I got lucky at about mile 3 my son showed up to help and we put one rear quarter on a pack and then I got my wife to spell me with the sledding, my sled was breaking up from to much coulee crossing. And to not have lightened the load on it would have gotten bad quickly. The husband of our un-named huntress drug the entire front half of a six point across rough country without anyone spelling him the whole way. He is a beast, yes you can drag elk. This could be a whole topic of it's own and we should start another thread for it. Again, well done Madman and Miss A.

Last edited:
Lads, let me explain it this way....if you say you can't do it, you won't...period. I can do anything I put my mind to....This is not the first bull I have dragged out whole, and many of them over multiple miles......Snow helps a lot, but last years bull we drug well over two miles, no snow, on a downhill and through black timber, and I do not use a sled. He had at least 200 lbs on this animal. Perhaps I'm dedicated, insane, or just one bad Mo-Fo!

Lads, let me explain it this way....if you say you can't do it, you won't...period. I can do anything I put my mind to....This is not the first bull I have dragged out whole, and many of them over multiple miles......Snow helps a lot, but last years bull we drug well over two miles, no snow, on a downhill and through black timber, and I do not use a sled. He had at least 200 lbs on this animal. Perhaps I'm dedicated, insane, or just one bad Mo-Fo!

You must take Mtn Ops.

Back