Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Why so many MR Crew cabs for sale?

Epfd217

I just made a pass through the classified here and there are several MR Crewcabs for sale.

Any particular reason? I certainly understand upgrades, but it really stood out. I thought maybe a few of the ads were from the same person, but they aren't.

I'm not sure about everybody else but I sold mine after using it on an elk hunt. I only had it for a few weeks but I found it too heavy for it's size and uncomfortable as well. It is a solid bombproof pack but there are plenty of others that will hold up the same or better that are lighter, more comfortable and better laid out. As always, YMMV.....

Maybe it's because of the other lighter bags you can get for the NICE frame? I originally bought the crew cab in 2011 and thought it was awesome (still do). But I really was torn between that and the longbow. I picked up a longbow bag for a decent price last year so I could compare. They are both awesome but I found that I liked the layout of the longbow for the style of hunting I typically do and what I'm likely to do in the future.

I too was wondering. I have a Crew Cab and Metcalf w/ NICE frame. It is a "heavy" pack, but I can handle it now. Not sure I will feel the same when I get older (which is coming "fast"). If I had to do it again . . . . . I would not have purchased the Mystery Ranch pack(s). The are heavy and over priced.

I have the same thoughts regarding Sitka and KUIU gear . . . . way over priced. I fall victim to the "marketing" and seem to get "hooked". Once I buy it . . . I have buyer's remorse, becasue I could pretty much get the same thing only ALOT cheaper. The only real postive thing I can say about Sitka and KUIU is I really like the camo patterns offered.

But what you are also seeing is folks "jumping" onto the next "greatest thing" and dumping the last "greatest thing".

Another reason is, Hunttalk is very pro Mystery Ranch so guys come here to sell it. Similarly if you were selling Kifaru stuff you would get the most traction over on Rokslide.

I used a MR Longbow for a year (breaking it in for my dad), then transitioned back to my badlands 2800. I ran the 2013 season with that 2800. Long story short... I Really Miss the Longbow... Yeah, its a bit light on internal pockets, but the NICE frame is second to none IMO. It was also tall enough and rigid enough to be able to shoot from the sit off the top of the frame.

When I can swing it financially I will pick up one of my own. Not Necessarily a longbow, but a NICE frame with a good bag.

I had the Longbow and CC before picking up the Metcalf. I have since sold my Longbow, but am holding on to the CC. Still a great bag for meat hauling, but I like the Metcalf for camp and day hunting.

I may be way off on this, but I think alot of people buy a pack based off of reccomendations and not significant experience under a pack with heavy loads. In the thousand plus miles I have on the odometer under a heavy pack, I have come to the conclusion that no pack is going to make 80+ lbs fun. A heavy load on your back sucks pretty bad regardless of the pack, and once you hit a certain mark you are really just paying more money to be a little more comfortable. When I see pack for sale with the word "I packed out one elk with this", I can't help but think they might be chasing that unicorn, or they could just want a pack that is lighter when they aren't hauling meat.

I have a CC and Longbow, and I like them. If I was to shop for a pack, I would take a look at some of the hero pics on this site and see what those guys are using for packs. I see lots of MR, Stone Glacier, etc. The reality is that none of these are going to make elk quarters easy to pack.

The SG Approach is 3.53 lbs, My longbow is about 6.5 lbs, so there is definately a difference in weight when you are using it as a daypack, but load it up and they are both going to suck.

There's many gear whores on this site looking to upgrade / chase down the next best thing.

I've only packed out 2 elk with my CC - but of all the packs I have used in the past it handles loads the best. My CC has decreased my Physical Therapy sessions on my back - so it's paid for itself already.

The CC has it's flaws, but the frame is great for me. You won't see mine for sale.

Pack fit is nearly as personal as boot fit, something that works great for you might not for me. Also I think many people new to hauling heavy loads somehow get the impression that a pack can make any load "comfortable". I also suspect operator error and lack of conditioning as a reason people have issues. I think a lot of people like to try everything on the market so they can find what works best for them as well, which I do when I can afford to.

Whatever the reason, don't listen to anyone who says they are over priced, that is not the case whatsoever.

People are getting educated as to pack function and realizing a 20" frame and an 8# pack leaves a lot of room for improvement. MR finally caved and is selling an extension. They would have been better off building a new frame.

My take is that people are wanting to try different packs. For those staying true to MR, the Metcalf does almost everything the crew cab does, but is lighter.

A couple of things prompted me to sell my crew cab. The first is that I have a Longbow and Metcalf bag for my nice frame. My crew cab just wasn't really getting used. The crew cab seemed like a jack of all trades, yet master of none. It could handle a wide variety of tasks well, but it now seemed there are many other options out there on the market that are as good or better than the crew cab, at a much lighter weight.

When I bought my crew cab, I figured it was the best option out there. I actually picked up the Longbow at the same time, and it has turned out that I prefer the layout of the Longbow better than my crew cab. After I got my Metcalf, I knew I wouldn't use the crew cab for overnight trips, and even with the frame extension (which helped immensely), the crew cab carried weight lower than I liked. Also with the crew cab, when I did load it down with a lot of 'stuff', it seemed like it expanded out and wide. I prefer a narrower profile. I must admit, in using the crew cab, it got me to really look at what I brought and simplify my 'kit' so I would take the least amount of stuff as possible and keep the crew cab cinched down as small as possible.

When using packs 'load sling' style, like the metcalf, longbow, or KUIU Icon, the load can be shifted out and away from the back. From my testing and use, the crew cab just didn't carry as well or seem as comfortable as my metcalf or longbow did when used load sling style or just stuffed full. I was able to put the weight higher up on my back with the longbow and metcalf bags.

For the times I figured I'd use my crew cab, it seemed like a very heavy pack for what I wanted/needed it for. There were lighter options that would do just as good a job or better, and possibly the only thing I'd lose is durability.

I ended up selling my crew cab and putting those funds towards purchasing a KUIU Icon 1850. I was wanting a smaller, lighter pack that I could use for early season day hunts where some support and load hauling might be necessary, but carrying a lighter pack would be nice. By my scales, I saved just over 4 lbs in pack weight, and so far the Icon has performed great for me. I've only used it 4-5 days in the field javelina hunting, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but for my uses the icon 1850 should do the trick. I still plan on using my longbow and metcalf when I feel the need arises (probably rifle and backpack hunts), and I think there is a place for all three packs in my style of hunting. Who knows, maybe someday I'll go towards a lighter weight multi day pack, but for now, the durability of MR is something I like to have on multi day trips or when loaded heavy from the get go, and expecting to come out even heavier.

IF you don't have the new frame extension it can be uncomfortable with heavy loads...but it is still the most versatile pack they make...the New Metcalf is a much lighter option and nearly 3 full pounds lighter..the new design for this year is a half pound lighter than last years. All this light weight pack talk makes me giggle...take a NICE frame bag, any of them...put it up against your light weight pack..that has no horizontal stays...put 95 lbs in em and tell me what you feel..the 3 lbs in weight..or the weight moving in the one with no horizontal stays...try that...let me know what pack you like. :)

I just didn't like the pocket configuration of the Crew Cab. I grew up using top loading backpacks, and that is still my prefered design.

I appreciate all the responses and the candor. Its very cool to hear people give real life evaluations of the gear rather than just bashing it.

I come from a background in wilderness tripping, especially using boats and canoes. The style of packs that I've relied on over the years has evolved also, but they are nothing like the modern packs that I see backpackers and wilderness hunters using. I'm used to hauling huge heavy loads through the forest, but its usually done with a large wide pack that has huge straps and a heavy padded waist belt. Like someone else said, it may not be great for a day pack, but when you're hauling the heavy loads, its nice to have a pack built to do the work.

As a hunter, I've never been able to settle on a nice day pack. Everyone I've ever used seem to big or bulky for my style, but I'm also not a wilderness hunter generally so I don't usually bring rain gear or an emergency kit because I'm not worried about sleeping on a mountain.

Thanks for all the insight. I love forums like this where I can learn from others as I transition to a new style of hunting.

I love my MR. Hands down the most comfortable pack I have worn for heavy loads. I will take an extra pound or two anyday, knowing my pack isn't going to breakdown in the backcountry.

I was a meeting at Mystery Ranch a couple weeks ago and some guy named "Dana" was telling me about some new MR hunting packs that are going to be available pretty soon. He suggested I give a couple of them a try and see how I like the weight reductions.

Dana who?

I was a meeting at Mystery Ranch a couple weeks ago and some guy named "Dana" was telling me about some new MR hunting packs that are going to be available pretty soon. He suggested I give a couple of them a try and see how I like the weight reductions.

Dana who?

So is this "Dana" dude a "designer"? If "Dana Designs" packs then is going to pass you a couple of the different ones to try out?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back